Rosenbaum letter

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
JChoate

Post by JChoate »

As we've proclaimed, THE photo is a masterpiece on many levels. One such is the composition of form, both architectural and natural: the crisp diagonal slashes of the roof lines alongside the soft diagonal of the dirt road out front. Also, the dominant horizontal lines of the house against the lone vertical tree behind it.

My wife is out of town at the moment traveling with a friend and went to the Rosenbaum house today. She just texted me a snapshot of the skunked earth just east of the house, where the big magnolia used to be -- she reports that it's just been cut down. I know it's not the original tree in THE photo, but it subsequently stood in the same place and provided the same visual function -- a vertical foil against which all that horizontality shines.

Sadly, here's her photo showing the bald spot where the big magnolia once stood.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Well, that's too bad. I wonder what the reason was.

I see now that the new wing has a lower floor level than that of the original. The plan shows three risers down to the new construction, with a further four or five steps down to the new guest room.

plan © 1993 by W A Storrer
Last edited by SDR on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

The report I got was that the roots of the tree had extended underneath the floor of the guest room in the 1949 addition and messed up the concrete slab resulting in water intrusion.

Tom

Re: Rosenbaum letter

Post by Tom »

Lot's of info in this thread to inform current structural discussions.

Was reminded there is also a separate three which chronicles the constructtion of the new visitors center at Florida Southern.
They built a Wright desinged faculty house for this purpose. some shots of it show up on this thread on page 4.

Not sure , but dont think I ever finished the posting Rosenbaum CD's, the hung bunks of the addition don't show up here.