Fir Tree House, Pecos, New Mexico

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
m.perrino

Fir Tree House, Pecos, New Mexico

Post by m.perrino »

What a surprise. While watching a netflix series called "Longmire" I saw a brief glimpse of the exterior of the Fir Tree House. Later, in Series 4, in the episode called " Hector Lives ", several of the main characters were inside Fir Tree. WOW ! The interior still looks faithful to all other photos available. The "open rafter" design ( if that would be the correct term ), is quite unlike FLW. The seating, fireplace, lighting, etc, all appeared to be in great shape.

I like the " Longmire " series, but what a treat to see a generally under represented FLW home.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

That is one beautiful abode!

Tom

Post by Tom »

Beautiful indeed.
Thanks for the link SDR.
Looks like I'll be watching Longmire after all, hope it's worth the time.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Wright did the open rafter roof also in the Wyoming Valley School.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Tom

Post by Tom »

Auldbrass, also open rafter.

(speaking of architecture in film and at the risk of revealing my bad taste and Netflix addiction: if you like the work of Arne Jacobsen there is a series called 'dicte', female reporter/sleuth, with really good footage of the Aarhus town hall inside and out.)

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The Davis House, also with open rafters, is the closest in look to Friedman, both being descendants of the Tahoe Project, but Friedman is the better version.

Tom

Post by Tom »

First episode of Longmire down. Vick was Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica. I'm hooked.

stoddard

Post by stoddard »

Pearce as well. Imparts a somewhat rustic feel in this Laurent variant.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Perfection. Inside and out, just breathtaking...

Rood

Post by Rood »

You have no idea how the lush, green lawn and the clear blue water of the pool transforms the house in its setting.

I wrote elsewhere (here) that when I slept at the house in the 70's ... there was no lawn and no pool, just a rocky, overgrazed cow pasture reaching up to the walls of the living room terrace, with all the things you find in a typical pasture. Everything looks so much better, today.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Kentucky blue in New Mexico?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Storrer's black-and-white photo of A Friedman shows the former landscape.

Tom

Post by Tom »

First appearance is in Season 4 episode 3 High Noon at minute mark 1:29.
And it's featured prominently in the first half of the episode. The exterior is, they don't go inside in this episode, except for the entrance court.
Last edited by Tom on Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Post by Tom »

The straight on elevation of the of the living room end of this house has always struck me as un-Wright like and a little bit clumsy or not as "successful" as other Wright houses. Yet reading Levine recently on the fist Roberts Block plan of 1896 for 22 houses - the second story dormers for some of these seem to relate directly to the main room of the Pecos house. Also the well known dormer sketch for Chauncey Williams in Oak Park.
... I think we've been through this before on some previous post, "the dunce hat" issue - I'm not sure. From the little I've seen of this house it's always difficult for me to reconcile the stunning interior with the "dunce hat" exterior. I'd LOVE to see this place in person.