Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Wright and like in New England

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flwright

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Wright and like in New England Reply with quote

With a little convincing (and in exchange for extensive shopping at the factory outlet stores in Kittery, Maine), I have managed to get my fiance to agree to tour the Zimmerman house in New Hampshire on our honeymoon in October. At the same time, I will photograph the Kalil house from the street, which is just down the road from the Zimmerman house. Additionally (in exchange for a day trip to Boston), I have managed to schedule a visit with James Schildroth, a Wright apprentice, to view and tour some of his works throughout Maine.

While I am on a roll negotiating an architectural honeymoon, are there any other interesting architectural sites in New England that you are aware of that I should be checking out while I am there? Additionally is there any advice out there for touring the Zimmerman house? Any particular details I should be examining?
Reidy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gropius residence in Lincoln is open for tours (http://www.spnea.org/visit/homes/gropius.htm). Le Corbusier's Carpenter Center at Harvard (his only building in the US) and Kahn's library at Phillips Exeter in New Hampshire are both worth seeing. In the Exeter case you'd be wise to call ahead.

Wright's Baird house in Amherst was quite invisible from the street when I was there, so it's probably not worth the drive from Boston.

Peter
NickSpellman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Baird House Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of touring the Baird house in 1995 with Professor Baird after moving to the Amherst area. (He was 96 at the time!) It is a tiny gem of a house (and worshop). Professor Baird fabricated the fireplace andirons himself out of old railroad tracks. The house was in original, unmodified condition and in fine shape. The only deviation I noted from published plans was that the "dog yard" cypress board and batten wall only extended from the house to the workshop and did not enclose the yard as is indicated on the plans. The is a small brick incinerator in the yard between the workshop and the woods that would make a great base for a sculpture. BB Pfeifer visited the house before joining the Taliesin Fellowship, according to Dr. Baird.

The house has new owners and is not available for tours. The house is only visible from Shays St. during the winter months: You can see the living room window wall, piano niche and study, but it is set well back from the road. So not much to see otherwise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: