Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Article: David Wright owner buys adjacent properties
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Article: David Wright owner buys adjacent properties Reply with quote

EXCLUSIVE: Owner of Frank Lloyd Wright house looks to ease wealthy neighbors' worries about property buys, event space

David
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinion: Preserve Arcadia, say 'no' to commercialization

David
SREcklund

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting subtext that is buried within the series of recent articles - the owner, Zach Rawling, has changed lawyers, from Grady Gammage Jr. to Paul Gilbert. Gammage, of course, is well-known to the Wright community.

What I found interesting was the statements regarding the change:

Quote:
Asked about the parting, Gammage would say only that the Wright house is a great project and that "I'm no longer involved ... and I hope everything goes smoothly."

Gilbert said there was a need to go in a slightly different direction.

"I have a lot of respect for Grady, as does my client. ... There was harmony with regard to the big picture of preserving the home, but differences in terms of plans for the public," Gilbert said.

The bolding in the quotation is mine, for obvious reasons ...
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that the entrance to the property for visitors will be off the edge of the church parking lot to the rear of the house, not the public residential street and that his exhibit and event space will be subterranean will be enough to mitigate the physical and visual intrusion into the neighborhood. After all the house is not on a typical residential lot but on acreage and the owner has purchased the adjacent homes that would be most directly affected by his proposed development.

He is also adding 150 trees to the property which should help with noise abatement.

Before he gets too far along on this project I do think he should restore the house first.
DavidC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle Over Frank Lloyd Wright House In Arcadia - [3:35]

(to listen to the audio, click the 'Play/Pause' button)

David
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fight over Frank Lloyd Wright house fires up wealthy Phoenix neighborhood

David
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcadia residents riled up over plans for Wright house

Frank Lloyd Wright house owners look to preservationists, architecture crowd in Phoenix fight

David
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wright house is a quiet beauty. Just relax and enjoy

David
m.perrino

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This last Thursday, I was able to visit the DW House and can report that its transformation is nothing less than amazing. My first visit several years ago, just after Gladys had passed away, showed a property in distress. The landscape had gone to bare dirt and scrub. A portion of the front of the house covered in vines. The interior, just as bad. The original carpet, faded and worn at the edges. Huge ugly canvass drapes hung on all windows. The interior wood appeared to have never been cleaned.

Today, much has been reversed. The exterior landscape has been cleaned and is on going and will include planting of citrus trees to mirror the original plan. The interior has been cleaned and period furniture, with many FLW reproductions, set in place. At I am sure, substantial cost, a replica of the original carpet now graces the living room floor, as well as the placement of the same model Steinway that David used. The original kitchen appliances cleaned and looking brand new.

Yes, much still needs to be done, both in the main house and guest house and issues with "the neighbors" need to be resolved. BTW - The Shemer Art Gallery is just a block or two away. It was the original Shemer FAMILY home, so adaptation is not new to the Arcadia area. Mr. Zach Rawling is the real deal and will be a fine steward of the house and the property, regardless of its final configuration. When he speaks about David Wright and FLW, the excitement in his voice is one all those who visit this site can immediately recognize.

To see several photos I took, visit my Facebook Page. Michael Perrino. Click Photos. Click Albums. Both albums of the DW House are named and should be easy to locate.
m.perrino

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didn't the wealthy residents of Arcadia STEP UP and save the DW House when it was for sale ? The renovation and redevelopment will have no impact on the neighbor hood, its streets or on ANYONE. Access is off Camelback Road, not Rubicon. If it was a "scraper" and a McMansion being erected no one would bat an eye. Just like what sits on the site of the Lloyd Wright house.

BTW, those quaint dirt streets were, by the mid '60's all paved.

So much for nostalgia.
Rood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m.perrino wrote:

BTW, those quaint dirt streets were, by the mid '60's all paved. So much for nostalgia.

Unless a change was made recently, Rubicon was not paved immediately adjacent to the David Wright House. Rubicon was paved on the west side of the street, but not the east. I always assumed it was due to one of David's quirks.
m.perrino

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe it is paved. Maybe not sidewalked and curbed, but paved. I will check in two weeks, after I return from a biz trip.
SREcklund

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m.perrino wrote:
The renovation and redevelopment will have no impact on the neighbor hood, its streets or on ANYONE. Access is off Camelback Road, not Rubicon. If it was a "scraper" and a McMansion being erected no one would bat an eye. Just like what sits on the site of the Lloyd Wright house.

I don't believe anyone - Wright fans or neighbors - have anything to fear from the new owner's renovation of the house, but his actions with the property are what gives concern. What was once dirt and citrus is now acres of grass - in a desert. Yes, he's putting in trees, but from what I saw (admittedly, several months back) they were all going in along the perimeter. He's purchased and flattened at least two adjoining houses - how does any of that align with conservation of the house?

What he's done is created a site where you could easily host events for thousands, with the house reduced to a shiny bauble. Not saying that he will, but he could - and _that's_ where the concerns lie.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an interesting article on the David Wright House in the latest edition of JTF showing a plot plan which restores part of the original lot fronting on Exeter, plus two lots north of the house on Rubicon that were not part of the original property. They will be appropriately landscaped to replicate the original view from the house, and will be used for events. The rug has been completed and will be installed soon, as well as carpet in the hallway. They have even acquired FLW's Jaguar, which they will restore and put on display.

Very positive news. Let's all get behind this effort and hope for the best.
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclusive: Frank Lloyd Wright house owners lobby Arcadia neighbors

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: