Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Pattern books?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clydethecat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Ringstrom wrote:
and also DeRhodes...
http://transformationsandwhispers.blogspot.com/2012/09/i-have-rest-in-my-soul-because-i-go-to.html

As a kit house, you'd think there'd be a few examples "out there".

Know of any other Prairie kit or pattern book designs?
Forest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sears offered two models in 1918, anybody recognize these? Apparently none were sold, or the locations would be noted on the page.

SDR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Forest. I Googled "Sears Aurora" and found this:

http://www.sears-homes.com/2012/05/sears-homes-designed-by-prairie-school.html

Montgomery Ward No 152: http://wardwayhomes.com/blog/tag/sears-prefab-houses/

SDR
kinners

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Kit houses/pattern books Reply with quote

Hi, I can't think of a good Prairie style example from the plan books I've seen. I don't think they sold well.

Lara
Sears Homes of Chicagoland
kinners

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gordon-Van Tine kit house number 2617 was only built once (at least that we know of to date). 605 East Washington St. Eustis, FL.

The Sears Aurora and Carlton kit houses were plans licensed from John Van Bergen and offered one year by Sears (1918). (Thanks for the link, SDR!) One Aurora was located at 6416 Grand Vista Ave Cincinnati, OH. No Carltons have ever been identified.

The kit house from Harris Brothers, No. 152D, that SDR linked to is located at 312 13th Street in Pleasanton, KS.

Lara
sears-homes.com
kinners

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, one more thing... if you're interested to know some of the architects who designed the standard Sears house plans, here is what I compiled. Some big names on that list!

http://www.sears-homes.com/2014/03/the-architects-of-sears-homes.html

Lara
clydethecat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinners wrote:
The Gordon-Van Tine kit house number 2617 was only built once (at least that we know of to date). 605 East Washington St. Eustis, FL.

There's at least one more example of the 2617 house:

I found this small picture in my files, and can't remember where I found it.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if that band of six sash on the second floor is shared by two or more rooms -- as Wright might have done. And I wonder if the copyist and the manufacturer would have taken any counsel from Wright's first-floor space allocation . . .

SDR
clydethecat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more prairie-ish houses in my town, another Google Maps screenshot:

The area is a ghetto now, it seems unlikely that the one on the left will be saved. The one on the right appears to be mostly just a foursquare with a dressed up front elevation and some nice fenestration. It seems probable to me that these are both pattern book houses.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. The one on the right is a curiosity -- a Prairie foursquare with a Craftsman bungalow porch ? The trim details fit both types, illustrating what Wright would never countenance, namely the affinity of the two strains.

The house on the left is even more unusual, isn't it; would anyone have committed that combination of first-floor openings to paper, in a catalog ? What would they have called it ?

As to the pair, is it only in America that we have these cheek-by-jowl juxtapositions of styles ? San Francisco is a virtual riot of like variety.

SDR
clydethecat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:

The house on the left is even more unusual, isn't it; would anyone have committed that combination of first-floor openings to paper, in a catalog ? What would they have called it ?

For lack of a better term, I call the one on the left "Gothic Prairie", it seems to borrow some detail elements from church design.

SDR wrote:

Interesting. The one on the right is a curiosity -- a Prairie foursquare with a Craftsman bungalow porch ? The trim details fit both types, illustrating what Wright would never countenance, namely the affinity of the two strains.

I can't imagine that an architect would have committed either of these mishmash designs to paper as seen here, from which I speculate that perhaps the builder started with published plans and then improvised.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that makes sense. Many a builder fancies himself a designer, for better or worse. And many a client has insisted on novel combinations of elements, too,
I suspect. The window muntin pattern, not dissimilar to ones used by Wright and by W B Griffin, also bridges the Craftsman/Prairie divide ?

Ecclesiastical, yes -- but maybe not Gothic ? The round arch and the brick-masonry suggest Romanesque to me . . .

SDR
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinners wrote:

The Sears Aurora and Carlton kit houses were plans licensed from John Van Bergen and offered one year by Sears (1918). (Thanks for the link, SDR!) One Aurora was located at 6416 Grand Vista Ave Cincinnati, OH. No Carltons have ever been identified.

The kit house from Harris Brothers, No. 152D, that SDR linked to is located at 312 13th Street in Pleasanton, KS.

Lara
sears-homes.com

Kinners,
Have you ever found floor plans the the two Sears VanBergen houses? They are not in the book on Sears houses that I have.

Thanks
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, the Van Bergen Skillen House plan is published in H. Allen Brooks' "Prairie School Architecture." page 258.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To wit:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: