Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Carl D. Gilmore, architect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Carl D. Gilmore, architect Reply with quote

http://www.freep.com/story/money/real-estate/michigan-house-envy/2014/11/09/ann-arbor-realtors-frank-lloyd-wright-stone-artisan/18625613/

Good morning, Paul,
I have received your inquiry into William H. Gilmore and Carl D. Gilmore. They are not the same person and I found nothing to say they were related. I was unable to find anything in our database, but upon further digging, found that Carl Gilmore was employed with Alden Dow. He was hired in June of 1978 and was gone by 1983. He worked in the design department, along with Bill Gilmore. William Gilmore was here much longer and eventually was a partner in the firm, Dow, Howell, Gilmore.
Iím sorry I could not find out more for you.
Sincerely,

Mary Lou Timmons
Alden B. Dow Archives

Last edited by Paul Ringstrom on Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://savewright.org/wright_chat/viewtopic.php?t=7779
Rood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fellow has to look twice at the second exterior photo before realizing it's not an early photo of Taliesin. As has been suggested, however, the stone work looks better from a distance.
Wrighter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So . . . Is the architect Carl Gilmore? Or William Gilmore who was a partner in Alden Dow's firm? Does anyone know? A google search of "carl Gilmore" only turned up one other like reference for me, and that referred to him as a former student of Dow's.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more photos...

http://www.howardhanna.com/property/property.asp?PRM_MLSNumber=3224596&PRM_MlsName=AnnArborMI
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl Gilmore
http://is.gd/KVU3f5

I could not find a website for The Shelter Company. He must be retired.

I sent an email to the ABDow Home & Studio to find out if William and Carl are the same person or related.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning, Paul,
I have received your inquiry into William H. Gilmore and Carl D. Gilmore. They are not the same person and I found nothing to say they were related. I was unable to find anything in our database, but upon further digging, found that Carl Gilmore was employed with Alden Dow. He was hired in June of 1978 and was gone by 1983. He worked in the design department, along with Bill Gilmore. William Gilmore was here much longer and eventually was a partner in the firm, Dow, Howell, Gilmore.
Iím sorry I could not find out more for you.
Sincerely,

Mary Lou Timmons
Alden B. Dow Archives
Wrighter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great sleuthing, Paul.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William H Gilmore is 82 and lives in Beulah, MI 49617

Carl D Gilmore is 66 and lives in Suttons Bay, MI 49682

Does not look like we have a father/son here.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just found out that Carl is William's younger brother. Their work in Dow's office overlapped.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Ringstrom:

I very much appreciate your kind words regarding the home I designed in Ann Arbor for Dennis Serras, a very successful Ann Arbor-based restauranteur. It was truly a labor of love that took about three years to build, during which time I spent from 3 to 10 hours a day and from 3 to 6 days per week as the on-site construction manager. But then, spending time with organic architecture started at quite an early age for me.

A fellow University of Michigan architecture student who became a Chicago-based developer saw the original article in the "Ann Arbor News" and Emailed it to me because he saw, as you did, that they had mistakenly listed Mr. Serras as the 'designer' of his own home and this is what first alerted me. I sent the "Ann Arbor News" an Email so stating that fact and they, of course, immediately posted the correction on there web-based version of the article.

I spent a month or so of every summer for about five years running at my brother's house during which time he was a project design architect for Mr. Dow and I was a raw-boned youth of twelve years old who was marinating my adolescent spirit in the marraige between architecture and landscape that is the Alden Dow home and studio masterwork in Midland, Michigan. Prior to that I was already reading about and viewing Mr. Wright's architecture from his own writings and that of others - again, influenced to do so by my older brother Bill. These experiences, especially at such an impressionable time of my life, amounted to my ad hoc introductory education in organic architecture.

Of course if your good at the discernment of principles in effects, as Wright was, you can literally transpose other musical effects from the mother symphony of Nature and then Nature itself becomes perhaps the best teacher of all, because it's closest to the source. I'm sure that's what Wright meant when he referred to Nature (with a capital 'N') as his 'church' and although I believe it's better said to call Nature his gospel, it's no leap of faith from there to state, as Wright did, that ".... all one does either for or against truth serves it equally well."

The Serras house was my first real opportunity to prove to myself that the planting of those youthful seeds could now bear their own beautiful fruit. I felt fulfilled and grateful for the opportunity that allowed me to claim a small place in the magnificent heritage that is organic architecture.

When I returned home to the States from Vietnam, I finished my architectural degree from the University of Michigan and began working for Alden Dow's firm in 1978. My brother Bill eventually became president of Mr. Dow's firm and has been retired for several years, whereas I went on my own in 1983 and I continue to practice, although I have never had a website.

I want to thank you very much for contacting me and I look forward to staying in touch with you and perhaps your colleagues as well - we certainly all share in an abiding respect for the organic architectural heritage and those involved in it.

Regards,

Carl D. Gilmore, Owner / State of Michigan Licensed Architect,
THE SHELTER COMPANY
756 N. Yacht Club Dr. (#22)
Suttons Bay, Michigan 49682

313-728-9442 (wireless)
captoria1@aol.com
Wrighter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely note. Paul, thanks for sharing that with us.
jmcnally

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutton's Bay is on the same peninsula as Northport, putting him just down the road from Wright's Alpaugh residence (S.293).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: