Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

The Gunning House (Glenbrow) will be restored!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mod mom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your information.

Also, when workers are not present we have a temporary chained barricade (with signs stating that we intend to prosecute trespassers ) to prevent any cars from entering and now we have electricity, installed a camera. As you might guess, our neighbors are all thrilled that the property is being restored and are assisting us in our absence.

Yes, Tyvek suits do work, my outbreak from PI was early when I assumed heavy rubber gloves prevented transmission of the oil and wore long coo ten sleeves w rubber gloves. Lesson learned.

We are opening the property during construction to Architecture students and had a class out there yesterday working on a project in collaboration with a national organization. For others, we will update through the Dispatch + CU. I appreciate your interest.
Unbrook

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Gunning House Reply with quote

I understand that Tony Smith was involved in the design of the Gunning House. What was his participation? What is the year of construction? Is there information available on the house?

I admit to looking through the scrubs to see the studio Smith designed in Provncetown.
Mod mom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The house was designed in '39 and built in 1940. Tony Smith, age 27, had just finished work on FLLW Armstrong House where he was an apprentice as well as the "clerk of the works" along apprentice Laurence Cuneo, age 19, and laborer Ted Van Fossen, age 19. The 3 collaborated on Gunning House, although Gunning family members as well as some documentation state that the design was by Tony Smith. Van Fossen later (in the mid 1960s added a bedroom addition, and designed the carport and "tower".

A catalog of Tony Smith's architecture is currently in the works according to his foundation. A PBS film maker is filming a documentary and the house and following our restoration/rehabilitation (we've had to replace a lot of badly damaged wood framing from years of neglect).

Here is a recent article about our project for those interested : http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/home_and_garden/2014/10/05/01-historic-renovation.html
dtc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some of you may know the Cleveland Museum of Art, in Cleveland, Ohio recently finished an extensive addition and remodel that involved every one of their galleries. It is a wonderful museum and may I suggest that while in Cleveland or its surrounds you find the time to visit. It will not disappoint.
I'm writing to inform those who might not know that the Cleveland Museum of Art, presently is exhibiting a Tony Smith sculpture on their grounds. Very near the former entrance designed by Marcel Brauer in 1969/70.
One can view a couple of Isamu Noguchi stone sculptures a short distance away while viewing the Smith piece... his piece is in fine company.
Unbrook

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Cleveland Museum of Art Reply with quote

Marcel Breuer. Venture inside the museum and see an art glass window from the Darwin Martin House. Up until a few weeks ago, there also was a dining chair from the Willits' house on loan from a private collector. Cleveland is especially rich in Tony Smith's work. There is another of his pieces on the Case Western Reserve campus, south of Euclid Avenue. It has suffered from being in a college environment-Graffiti all over.
Mod mom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the Gunning children told me their father got a chuckle out of seeing Tony make the cover of Time:
magazine:http://content.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,19671013,00.html

Here are a list of where his sculptures are located: http://pierrofoundation.org/sculptures_map.html

It is someone associated with the Menil Collection in Houston who is working on a catalogue of his architecture.
Education Professor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interesting discussion about Tony Smith's work. Is anyone aware of photos of Smith's architectural work that may be available (in addition to the interesting Gunning house)? My searches have not proved very fruitful thus far.

Mod mom, I commend your family's efforts to faithfully restore the Gunning house. Thank you for keeping us posted on your efforts.

EP
Mod mom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple books on Tony Smith. One is available here in the states, "Tony Smith: Architect Painter Sculptor" which was a catalogue for a MOMA exhibition, (BTW his initials are APS..architect, painter sculptor) and contains includes some of his few buildings (all very different from Glenbrow/Gunning).

One of the first houses after the one we purchased houses is the Brotherton House in Mt Vernon, Washington completed in 1944. I did not know this until tonight, but that house was for a relative of his wife, Jane (whose maiden name is Brotherton). In attempting to find a photograph to link to of that house, I discovered a wonderful interview with Joseph Brotherton (I believe a cousin) that provides a great deal of history on the life of Tony Smith:

http://www.aaa.si.edu/collections/interviews/oral-history-interview-joseph-l-brotherton-12264

What a fascinating life Tony and Jane Smith lived!
Mod mom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few of Tony Smith's buildings that I could find online (all very different from his Wright influenced Gunning House):

Bultman Studio c1945: http://buildingprovincetown.wordpress.com/2010/01/04/8-miller-hill-road/

Olsen House c1951: http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=5399#.VEnDt0vTVjE

Betty Parsons Studio c1959: http://artists.parrishart.org/index.php/Detail/Object/Show/object_id/524
Education Professor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the info, Mod mom. Interesting lives indeed!

Perhaps I've missed it, but how long did Tony serve as an apprentice at Taliesin?

EP
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mod mom. On the Bultman Studio page (a delightful exercise) are three b+w photos of a concrete block house. Do we know what that is, and who made it ?

On the Olson House page, the Wellfleet house for Kugel Gips (?) by Charles Zehnder is pretty exciting, too . . .

Thanks for everything !

SDR
Education Professor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, I am curious about the concrete block house as well. The Bultman Studio page is indeed a delightful exercise.
EP
Unbrook

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Tony Smith Reply with quote

Tony Smith is the father of KiKi Smith, the artist.
Mod mom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Education Professor,

Tony Smith started his apprenticeship with FLLW in 1938, worked on the Suntop Houses in Ardmore PA in '38,'39. Wright was so impressed with his work on the Suntop Houses that he was promoted to "clerk of the works" on the Armstrong House in Ogden Dunes IN in 1939. Gunning/Glenbrow was designed in '39 and built in 1940, so Mr Smith had left the apprenticeship at the end of '39.

In 1942 Smith began work on a house for his father-in-law L.L. Brotherton, based on a hexagonal design. The 3,500 sq ft Brotherton House was completed in 1944, and was influenced by Wright's Hanna House and the Ocatillo Desert Camp.

In 1943, he wrote the unpublished "The Pattern of Organic Life in America". Here is a poem from it:

Relax.
Do not press.
Do not seek.
There is no stasis.
Every moment creates a new condition.
Past conditions cannot be recaptured.
Do not try.
Do not plan.
do not design.
Build.
Wait.
Build.
Build.

Tony Smith
from
"The Pattern of Organic Life in America"
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Wise man. Some have to wait a decade or more to see the pattern, after they've lived it . . .

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: