Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Louis Fredrick home, Barrington Hills, IL
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPB_1971

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Louis Fredrick home, Barrington Hills, IL Reply with quote

This home strikes me as one of the less frequently photographed Wright works. Perhaps I've just not come across a publication that provides more than a couple photos. The house sounds like an attractive plan and from the couple photos I've seen (view from driveway to entrance and carport) it looks attractive. Does anyone know if the home is in good condition? Has anyone ever visited it?

How far away is Barrington Hills from Chicago? Looks like a nice community, larger lots, sort of semi-rural in feel.

Thanks!
jmcnally

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it's about 1:15 to 1:30 from Chicago, on a decent traffic day. My daughter lives in the NW suburbs, and it's not far from there. You can't see anything from the road, though - and you take your life into your hands by even trying to pull over on that road.

There is another house in that community (Post - a Marshall Erdman prefab) that gives far better views. That one's worth the drive.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refer to the Dlesk Project #1 (Mono 8/199; Tash 3/393), an unbuilt plan that was built for Frederick. The initial plan for Frederick (Mono 8/133; Tash 3/363) was Usonian Automatic. Tashen 3/364 includes a photo of the entrance facade of Frederick.
peterm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Louis Frederick house for sale Reply with quote

I just saw this at Wright on the Market:
http://www.savewright.org/index.php?page=33&id=155
JPB_1971

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, peterm. Due to the the relative lack of frequent updates I don't check Wright on the Market on a regular basis. I hope this house can find a buyer who will be a good steward. Per the broker sounds like it's been maintained. Looks like it's vacant at the moment. I'll have to check for an external link to the broker to see if more info is available. Does anyone have a sense of whether the asking price is reasonable for 10 acres in Barrington Hills? Not sure of the size of the home in square feet though so without that info it might be tough to hazard a guess.
peterm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very affluent village, and considering that it's ten acres, seems to be priced reasonably. The question of property taxes and energy costs are always huge factors in Illinois.

http://www.zillow.com/barrington-hills-il/#more
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrington_Hills,_Illinois
John

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Frederick Reply with quote

OMG those are lousy photos! Not the kind of photos that would be attractive to a buyer, I would think.
peterm

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better photos! Another great Wright house:

http://louzucaro.bairdwarner.com/property/49877038/19-West-County-Line-Road-BARRINGTON-HILLS-IL-60010
SDR

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter's zillow link above has bigger versions of the same very good photos. Save Wright should be embarrassed by their inadequate display; perhaps there is a reason for it.

Comparison of the zillow plan with Storrer's shows so many variances that it's difficult to imagine where the former came from. I haven't yet taken Roderick's lead and inspected Taschen. Storrer's comments are well worth the reading.

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... I'd forgotten that I already linked the Zillow photos.
It is strange that the Wright on the Market pics are so homespun...
SDR

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taschen

Storrer

zillow

Taschen

Taschen

Storrer

Storrer

Frederick I

Taschen

Taschen

Storrer images 1993 by William Allin Storrer

Taschen images 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation
DRN

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Comparison of the zillow plan with Storrer's shows so many variances that it's difficult to imagine where the former came from.

From what I'm seeing in the realtor's photos, it would appear the following are in or may be in play:

- The realtor's floor plan depicts the rooms as they currently exist with the exception of the windows and the fireplace...there seems to be an aversion to drawing corner windows or possibly the linework depicting fixed sashes is printing a solid wall; and the delineator may not have known how to draw a corner fireplace or missed it altogether.

- Wright's and Storrer's plan do not match what is seen in the photos at the fireplace and the bedroom interiors. Was Storrer's plan too reliant on Wright's plan and did not take into account all of the as-built changes? He does seem to account for the increased window size at the end of the bedroom wing from what is shown on the Taliesin plan, but the open corner fireplace in the living room is not depicted in his plan or the realtor's. Were changes made subsequent to Storrer's data gathering visits in 1968-71? I seriously doubt the fireplace was changed after 1971, but the bedrooms could have been.

- The white drywall partition in one of the bedrooms looks out of place...a later alteration to divide the big children's room?

- The photo of the bath in the first bedroom seems to match the realtor photo...a field change during original construction to gain windows in the bedroom or a later alteration? Was it missed by Storrer in his visit or was it altered later?

- In the same photo as the drywall partition there also seems to be an interruption in the unit lines on the floor slab...could this be indicative of a floor patch or possibly the relocation/capping of some under slab feature?

The house may have been altered as it was originally built and/or sustained some changes post construction. In any case, it is a great house I hadn't really seen before.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRN, you're misreading the fireplace. It isn't a corner. There is a very broad chimney with a fireplace extending out of the middle of it.

Notice in the elevations of Dlesk, the roof line extends out as it rises in a fashion quite popular with MCM, while Fredrick, as built, recedes up to the ridge to admit light to the clerestories. See photos 6, 10, 15, 16 and Storrer's plan.
DRN

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right Roderick...I was reading the brass curtain on the far side as light colored masonry.
JChoate

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After being so used to the more expected FLW palette, it takes a little getting used to the different color scheme -- the ochre brick & concrete floor, and the wood stained toward the yellow side of the spectrum. After loving so many red stained concrete floors, I'm not as fond of this gold rendition. Instead of being maximally warm as is the red, this gold version looks a little caustic to me.

I wonder what specie is the wood. Its quiet grain is clearly not the expected cypress or redwood. It appears in some photos to possibly have a tinted stain on parts of the ceilings. I do like the kitchen volume in the first photo in which it appears, with the interesting complexity of the upper windows and their very brawny mullion/sash construction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: