Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Frank Lloyd Wright Glass Tiles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krietzerjak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen any with just an L. What I have seen is the Luxfer name (and I don't remember the rest of what was written right now) It was one of the tiles with no flower or any design, but had the full name LUXFER plus.....??????
swernecke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="krietzerjak"]I haven't seen any with just an L. What I have seen is the Luxfer name (and I don't remember the rest of what was written right now) It was one of the tiles with no flower or any design, but had the full name LUXFER plus.....??????
.[/quote]

Right. He says he has a plain tile with Luxfer on it, but like I showed, there is a tile with a small L on it. Im curious.
FarmerBill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, in Frank Lloyd Wright's Stained Glass & Lightscreens (p. 50 of the paperback edition printed in 2000), author Thomas A. Heinz writes:

"Luxfer prisms spread quickly throughout the U.S. and Europe. Wright designed many prism plate patterns, but fewer than five different ones were actually manufactured.
Number 321 was the least common and number 322 the most common."
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, that account almost agrees with the one on this page http://glassian.org/Prism/FLW/index.html (linked on the previous page of the thread). Unfortunately, the images on that page are given only their patent (?) numbers. Is there a place where one can see the tile designs with the numbers being discussed here ?

SDR
krietzerjak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a set of pictures showing the patented designs. Starting at number 536, in the upper left, click the right arrow to scan images to 576. I don't remember seeing most of these. I haven't looked at the site much, there may be more Wright designs in the 642 images.

This is from the same site SDR shows, but you can see each picture separately.

http://glassian.org/Prism/Patent/D27977/drawing.html

Andy
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. So, where did Mr Heinz find the numbers 321 and 322 ?

SDR
krietzerjak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess the numbers Heinz used are from a Luxfer catalog. The numbers I mention in my last message are only that website's numbers for their pictures.

It seems like I saw a book a long time ago that showed all these, and it may have had the catalog numbers for each design.

Andy
swernecke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That website is really cool! Im going to see if I can get over to his house tomorrow morning to get a pic of the Luxfer tile itself. He said he has one but just needs the help getting to it. If it really is rare it might be worth something.

I know he wants to get rid of the ones he has, any idea on where to start selling?
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antiques Roadshow. It's not about art or antiques; it's about profit. Cash in hand is always the punch line.
krietzerjak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked over the ones I got recently. All 5 of the plain tiles have the "L" you mention. It is hard to photograph, but I just never noticed it before. I believe this is to let the person installing it know what side is down. There is a distinctive prism direction, as you can see in one of my pictures attached. It was designed to bring light as far into the building as possible. The side view shows it as it should be installed, notice the flats are at a different angle. Also one shot of the flower design. All mine have a slight purple tint.

Andy
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having seen lots of old Sandwich glass (from Cape Cod) with this purple tint, I'm assuming the color is a matter of imperfect material aging badly. Who would want their carefully-managed daylight to be thus tinged ? I can't believe that the makers -- or their designer -- would have wanted anything but clear glass as a marketable product . . .

SDR
swernecke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Box of loose tiles

Half tile

Luxfer tile, he has at least 2-3 of these in the panes

Panes
krietzerjak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Most glass that turns purple after being exposed to sunlight for an extended period of time was likely manufactured between 1880 and 1914, although there are a few exceptions, said Hill.

Glass made prior to 1880 would take on different-colored tints when exposed to sunlight, depending on the minerals present in the glass formula. If iron was present, for example, the glass would turn aqua, said Sylvia Sanford, owner of The Bargain Spot, another local antiques and collectibles shop. If lead was present, it would turn gray, and if selenium was present, it would turn yellow, she said. But public concern with the purity of preserved food created a demand for clarified glass, according to the National Parks Service Web site (www.cr.nps.gov)."

Read more: http://www.yumasun.com/articles/glass-21491-purple-antique.html#ixzz2ln5dM7rX

http://www.yumasun.com/articles/glass-21491-purple-antique.html

Andy[/quote]
sgrdst82

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: FLW glass flower tile with a K on it Reply with quote

my boyfriend is an architect and I bought him 3 of the FLW glass flower tiles with the small triangles, they are purple tint but there is a K on the front of the tile. I have tried searching and haven't seen any of the flower tiles with a K on the bottom. I'm not sure if they are fake or legit tiles.

I'm not sure if the person who originally started this thread will see this but,

in your tiles you said that you have L or K on them... by any chance you have a flower tile with a K on it that you can take a picture of?

thanks
swernecke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure if we have any flowers with the K on them.

How much did you pay for them by chance?

They're all at my dads in his garage lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: