Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Avery Coonley Estate
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Avery Coonley Estate Reply with quote

RIVERSIDE, ILó The "bedroom wing" of Frank Lloyd Wright's subdivided Avery Coonley House estate, which has been on the market for years, has a buyer under contract at an almost-unbelievable price. The 3,000-square-foot, half-acre property re-listed as a short sale in July and is set to close at or near $354K. She needs a little work, but is still a wonder.

Let's hope it gets restored.
Oak Park Jogger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just drove past and saw a realtor's sign for Pearson Group, but the bedroom wing does not seem to be listed on their website. Any more news here???
Mod mom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the photos which show some of the damage are still up at realtor.com:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/300-Scottswood-Rd_Riverside_IL_60546_M81625-05396?source=web#
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the realtor link provided by Mod mom, the last shot in the series is of a large empty room with wrinkled green floor covering and fallen plaster from the ceiling. Any body know where this room is located in the overall plan?

I've never seen any of these interiors before, just great.
Rood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom ... that would be the original master bedroom, now, apparently, used as the living room. You can see the small terrace through the doors. It's also pictured at photo #5 ... and the exterior at photo #1.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dust jacket on Mono 3 shows the exterior of a major addition at the south end of the house (next to the original master bedroom) that was added after the Coonleys had left and the house was subdivided. The room with the wrinkled green floor covering is the living room of the unit contrived from the bedroom wing. The plan of this addition has never, to my knowledge, been published.

Considering how meticulously the addition matches the original house in materials and detailing, it must have been done by a fine architect. Storrer says it was added in the 50s, but the quality of the work makes that seem unlikely. The rest of the property was redeveloped at that time, but I suspect the main residence was done earlier.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rood, close, but no cigar. As the first photo shows, the subdivided house includes a new structure added onto the end of the bedroom wing, eliminating the bedroom balcony, but retaining the bedroom. Compare it to the photo of the exterior of the master bedroom in Manson, page 190. Also see Mono 3/1 for an aerial view showing, in the upper end of the photo, the roof of the addition, compared to the as-built roof plan on page 3.
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$345K? The windows are worth that much.
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complicated history there. Hard to keep track.
krietzerjak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that might have been one of the ground floor rooms (since it didn't have the high pitched ceilings like most 2nd floor major rooms). I didn't realize it had an addition after QFC left.

Andy
Oak Park Jogger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone post these pictures that show the addition? I've been in the bedroom wing of the divided house and thought the current living room was where the master bedroom was supposed to be, but wasn't built as constructed. Pictures would sure help!!!
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shot of that room with the green floor covering reminds me of the Livingroom at Fallingwater. It is curious what Wright did with just a little bit or how the opening up of interior space was such a radical thing then.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo on page 190 of Manson I referred to shows the master bedroom wing exterior as built, a photo he got from FLW himself, following exactly the published plan. The aerial view in Mono 3/1 shows the addition, which is about three times the breadth. The roof plan Mono 3/3 shows the roof as it was in the Manson photo. There was no room in the bedroom wing for an appropriate living room, so the addition had to be constructed at the time of the division.

The bedroom with the blue walls (9, 10) is the middle one with bath (13) just north of the old master. (It appears bath 11 was added; I can't match it to any of the originals.) The small room with the fireplace (eight) is the ground floor sewing room, which is the main entrance of the new unit (15). The new master is a combination of the two guest rooms in the wing bridging the driveway (3,4). The kitchen (7) and dining area (6) occupy the north bedroom and study, with a new fireplace at the north end, as shown by the addition of a chimney visible in the aerial view, next to the fire wall.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, FLW did not design that room, I'm sure. My guess is William Drummond, who was responsible for converting the Gardener's Cottage into an independent residence.

The one thing I couldn't find in the posted photos was any sign of the old master bedroom interior.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos referenced in R Grant's posts, above:

bonus Manson photo:

Coonley plan. At one point I indicated a conjectural division between the two separated residences; I believe this was corrected by another reader (?):

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: