House in SW Indiana by Wes Peters ca. 1935

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

DRN

Post by DRN »

Thanks for posting this. Good to know the house is in the local consciousness and will be preserved. I suppose the proposed move is the product of the house's small size <600SF and the viability of it being used on its present site in this day and culture as a house?

The detailed coverage of the house in the Evansville newspaper in the 1930's was probably related to Wes' father's position as editor of the newspaper.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The move is a pleasant surprise. The house looks so lost in its present position vis-a-vis the neighbors.

SDR

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

SDR

Post by SDR »

The original drawings are a boon. Congratulations to Adam Green for his swell "period" presentation sheet ! (Is that Mr Wright and Wes, in the courtyard ?)

An obvious update to the plan would be the inclusion of the kitchen into the living space -- more acceptable today, and even in the years following the construction of this little oaken "acorn."

SDR

Craig

Post by Craig »

So who owns the house now? It certainly cleaned up nicely from the original set of pictures. A complete restoration would make the place shine. It shouldn't take too much money to move such a small house. Do we know what their estimate is for relocation/restoration?
ch

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

This is a gem. The way the bedrooms open up to the living area is interesting. Good for air flow.

What happened to Wes' obvious talent? Perhaps he should never have been given a compass; his obsession with circles did him little good in later years.

3 questions:

The tiny closet at the corner of the kitchen, opening outside (probably for a garbage can) is topped by an odd configuration that, according to period photos, was built, but is no longer extant. What is that about? Just a design feature?

There are two fenced enclosures by the entrance. What were they? I suppose one may have been for firewood, but what about the other?

Is that a Northwest Orient flight headed toward Minneapolis?

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Here's a Wright design from 1900 whose double-square plan reminds me of the West Peters scheme . . .

peterm

Post by peterm »

The plan on the 45 is similar, yes. The Wes Peters house has a flat roof, "Dwelling" a hipped....

SDR

Post by SDR »

It's the plan I cite. Like the Peters plan it is symmetrical about a diagonal. The mystery Oakland house also has a partial lower floor, with bedrooms. I am trying to think of another such superimposed-squares plan I may have seen . . . somewhere.

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The fireplaces are very much in the style of WBG ... with one in the corner of the dining room, like Schroeder.

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

Isn't that snippet of text interesting: "This enigmatic drawing was discovered during restoration of the studio at Taliesin in the early 1960's."

I wonder what's the rest of that story? I guess by the "early 1960's" there wouldn't have been anyone around with knowledge that far back of minor things stuck in the back of a drawer.

Also, is it curious that he would have a commission in Oakland as early as 1900 ?