Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

The Allan and Arline Paul House, by Aaron Green...For Sale.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: The Allan and Arline Paul House, by Aaron Green...For Sale. Reply with quote

One of Aaron's earliest and most beautiful homes, The Paul House is for sale. The Pauls loved their home, and they loved their Architect. Mr. Paul told me once that he couldn't imagine his life not knowing Aaron. I know several on this site have had many questions about this house...the attached site has many pictures of this perfect little house. 1,200 sf in McMansion-land...and only Stanford faculty can purchase..(the house is purchased, the land is leased). Another work of art for me to worry about. For me, there are perhaps a handful of houses that can compare to this one. The Pauls would call Aaron practically before changing a light bulb, they changed nothing without calling Aaron first. The Pauls lived in the house well into their 90's, and they loved telling the story of when Aaron brought Wright to see the house.

http://www.bluskyemedia.com/client/shor/gerona/

Last edited by KevinW on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful home, Kevin! I love how Aaron used sheet goods on the vertical surfaces, contrasting w/ the slatted wood ceilings. And the setting is just fantastic, too.

Since it appears that Stanford is controlling things, do you know if they have any covenants are in place to protect the home from undergoing any 'major changes' (i.e. - all the way to a tear-down)?

David
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'm talking about! Does it get any better than this? Aaron Green was a master architect.

It's interesting to see that something like luan or mahogany was used as a substitute in the cottage interior from 1961 instead of the redwood plywood of the 1954 original house. Prices and availability must have already made it impractical to use the native California wood. Pin hinges as opposed to Wright's continous hinges on the cabinets make them appear as if they are one continous plane of wood. The floors are not as reddish, and are nearly an exact match to the color of the redwood. I've never seen wood grained Formica look better than in the kitchen of the guest house... Redwood plywood used on the exterior appears to be in remarkable condition. I love the steps going down to the fireplace. Sublime!

Are there many Stanford professors who could afford the $1,200,000.00 price tag? Only a lease on the land... But that is good, it must protect against the building of a monster nearby...

Why is it that so few Wright houses have been this lovingly maintained?

California dreaming, on such a winters day...
Reidy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a few blocks from Hanna (737 Frenchman's Rd.), which they built under the same leasing arrangement.
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm smitten. In any other house a long walk from the carport to the door would be a hardship, but that sheltered garden makes it a joy. Is a floor plan available anywhere?
Thanks for posting this Kevin.
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may seem sacrilegious, and not having seen either of the houses in person, I think I would prefer to live in the Green house. The simple house is filled with calm repose, quintessentially Californian, without a wasted gesture...
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have asked this before, but is there a good book on Green's work?

Matt
Landmarkmodel.com
KevinW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David...that is on the agenda today for me to find out the details if any of protection.
Regarding a floor plan, and future book, one of Aaron's long time employees is the keeper of everything Aaron, and thats all I know. I know that some of his library has shown up at William Stout, including an old Sullivan book that I gave Aaron on his birthday.
It is this kind of work from apprentices that I know Wright did and would have appreciated.
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin- Can you elaborate on the owner's memories of Wright's visit to the house? What was his reaction to this fine work?
KevinW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Allan Paul asked Wright what he thought...Wright simply replied.."Well, this will certainly do our reputation no harm"..
Wright never tried to upstage Aaron, in fact they said Wright continued to praise Aaron, and the client for selecting a great Architect.

Since the Pauls knew the Hannas, they initially contacted Wright to design their home. Wright sent Aaron down to meet with them. The Pauls fell in love with Aaron, and felt he was the better choice to design their home. With the projects Aaron assisted in bringing Wright, and his deep relationship with the Wrights, this became an Aaron project and not a Wright project.
A few Wright apprentices assisted with construction, Earl Nisbet remembers Aaron driving up with a beam in the back of a truck to support the living room, Earl helped install it.
The condition is a testament to the owners. Mr. Paul was a Japanese Studies professor at Stanford, and Mrs. was the Hoover Insititution librarian, and lived a private meaningful life.
KevinW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Aaron sold his home in Los Altos, Aaron removed some of the plantings, and installed them around the Paul house. I can only hope, some day, I have that kind of relationship with a client.
I have always wondered, and never got the chance to ask....Aaron's son Allan, and Allan Paul's first names are spelled the same way...not the typical Alan spelling.
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they have children? It looks like the relative absence of "Kevinizing" (George Nakashima's term for describing the "patina" that his son would bring to his furniture...) could indicate that there were few little ones...

Speaking of Kevinizing: thanks for the post!
KevinW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I just made contact with someone involved. I know they had a daughter or grand daughter that lived close by and would help them as they became for and more frail. I assume she is the trustee that she mentioned. She said the trustee is very sad to have to sell, but Stanford is quite clear on who can purchase and lease the property.
For a few years we kept in contact with them, and while they always seemed happy to see us or hear from us, I didnt want to bother them, witnessing once the effort was for them to get up and answer a phone or the door, so I would send an occassional card. They would reply with gracious appreciation.
Mr. Paul would crack me up..he always had a bowl of Hersheys chocolate kisses in the hex tables, and would never fail to ask my wife if she wanted a kiss...then pointed to the candies.
.....If only my wife still worked at the Hoover Institution....and of course, we had over a million bucks..Not that I could ever leave the Bob house.
Anyway, I will report info. as I get it, I did ask about protection of the house, and still waiting for a reply.
The guest house, by the way was built for Mr. Pauls mother, who moved here from Wisconsin.

Kevinizing....I like it!
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfection. I especially like the hall of shoji.
Education Professor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Paul house is featured in the November 1956 edition of House Beautiful with photos and a floor plan. There are also some photos in the October 1959 edition of HB.

Here is the link to a previous thread about the Paul house:

http://www.savewright.org/wright_chat/viewtopic.php?t=6328&highlight=aaron+green

EP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: