Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Winn House in Kalmazoo, MI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greiner, Mono 7/181, Taschen 3/161, apparently went through some alterations at Taliesin before it morphed into a Swiss chalet. One set of drawings shows a shed roof over the living room, with a gable roof over the bedroom wing. Another set shows the entire house under a hip roof. The one unusual element of this house is the double-loaded hallway in the bedroom wing, not unknown, but rare.

Winn, McCartney, Strong, Levin, Brown and Greiner plus Dr. Frederick Margolis, a very handsome, large, flat-roofed project, are the 7 houses designed for Parkwyn Village, worthy of a tome of its own.
DRN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread started out as a thread on the Winn house and devolved (due to a post by me) into a discussion of a Wrightian house next door that began as the Strong dwelling, but was significantly altered during construction, causing it to be "disowned" by Wright and passed over by WA Storrer.

In looking up Winn recently, I found photos of the disowned house listed by MichiganModern AS the Winn house! So, here are photos of the "disowned" house:

http://www.michiganmodern.org/buildings/robert-d-and-winifred-l-winn-house

If outside in is able to share any news about Winn, I'd be interested in reading it.
Richard A Levin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: "Disowned" house next to the Winn house Reply with quote

The house in question, I believe, was built in the mid 1950's by Bill and Rosie Wechter. Like many of the original owners of Wright's homes in Parkwyn Village, Kalamazoo, and The Acres in Galesburg, Bill Wechter was a research scientist with The Upjohn Company. I have a faint memory of my father helping with the making of the blocks for the house. The Wechter house, like the Wynn house, bordered our home. My memory of the interior of the home is not great, but I do remember the bedroom wing was to the right of the main entrance door, the side closest to Taliesin Dr. I believe the kitchen was to the left of the door, and the living area was straight ahead and behind the kitchen. I do not remember a lower level.
Rich Levin
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last I heard (several years ago) the Winn House was being restored by John Eifler for the owners of the Cincinnati FLW Legacy house.
Education Professor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to information from the Parkwyn Village website, Ruth and Lawrence Strong commissioned Wright to design their house in 1950. Following their relocation, the subsequent owners (I assume Rosie and Bill Wechter) worked with architect Norman F. Carver, Jr., to complete the project:

http://parkwynvillage.com/history.html (scroll to the bottom of the page)

Is the Strong-Wechter design featured in the Monographs? It would be interesting to see the floor plan and some interior photos if they exist. The entry area reminds me of John Howe's design for the Palmer tea house in Ann Arbor.

EP
SDR

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence Strong makes no appearance in Monograph 7; the house is briefly covered in Taschen III (p 260) with no mention of a co- or sub-designer . . .

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence Strong, Mono 7/187, is listed as an unbuilt project. There is a small plan, which does not include the screen porch extension built onto the living room end, yet the general layout appears to have been followed for the Wechter version. Interior views would be very interesting.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Roderick -- here are those images. The tiny size of the reproduced plan is revealed by the coarse texture of the Benday dots in my photograph . . .

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest change to the plan would appear to be relocating the carport from one end to the other. What was put in the area meant to house the carport? We definitely need interior photos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: