Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Winn House in Kalmazoo, MI
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Winn House in Kalmazoo, MI Reply with quote

New owners have purchased the Winn House and have hired John Eifler to restore the house.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. We'll get the inside out of outside in. I still want to know the structure of the 6" floor.
outside in

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Winn House is a very interesting design, but in looking at what was built I'm afraid the Winns may have made some bad decisions. We found that the original drawings describe a heavily steel reinforced cantilevered carport, but the contractor ended up using all wood, no steel, requiring the addition of two small pipe columns for support. The list goes on.......... As always, the good folks at the archives have provided drawings so that the house can be finished as intended. Always a bit sticky though when original owners modifications need to be undone. Architectural ethics will certainly be tested on this one.
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I visited the Parkwyn Village development in '99, I recall the Winn house being at the end of a spur of Taliesin Drive that led toward the lake basin. The other house on this spur, that one would pass on the way to Winn, seemed Taliesin inspired, but its owner (washing his car in the driveway) assured me is not a FLLW house, despite its similarities to the others.

Does anyone know this house's story?
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving Taliesin Drive, headed toward Winn, the first house on the right is FLW's Levin House (at the corner of Taliesin Dr), followed by a non-Wright, then Winn. There's one non-W on the lot fronting Lorraine to the left of the easement, but the tree cover on Google is too dense to see if there is anything behind that one, which would be on the lot to Winn's east.

I recall a number of very nice MCM houses in that area, which may well have been influenced by FLW. It's a picture-perfect neighborhood.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bing map has no leaves on the trees.

http://binged.it/Vg1fvw
DRN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Bing map Paul.
The house to which I referred is the dark brown roofed house to the immediate NNE of the Winn house and to the immediate south of the Levin house. It is configured with its carport at the opposite end of the bedroom wing from the living/dining kitchen. Otherwise, it shares material and grammar similarities with the Eric Brown house a few houses away. I understand it is not by Wright, but given its strong similarities to the other houses, and overall good proportions, I was wondering if anyone knew if it was the work of someone associated with Taliesin, or if it was a "disowned" (considered unbuilt) design...possibly due to the odd carport placement as built.
John

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Winn/Wright/not-Wright Reply with quote

The house next to the Winn house is a FLLW house that he "disowned."
I will post photos of the plans with his signature.
The original owners modified the plans significantly by substituting slit windows for a window wall he specified. The hause has also been added to over the years and otherwise modified by subsequent owners.
Current owner is very friendly.
John

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Strong House (next to Winn) Reply with quote

DRN wrote:
When I visited the Parkwyn Village development in '99, I recall the Winn house being at the end of a spur of Taliesin Drive that led toward the lake basin. The other house on this spur, that one would pass on the way to Winn, seemed Taliesin inspired, but its owner (washing his car in the driveway) assured me is not a FLLW house, despite its similarities to the others.

Does anyone know this house's story?

I was told by the owner I met that it was a FLLW design that was "modified" before being built by the original owners, thus "disinherited" by Wright.
The plan shows a butterfly roof with a large expanse of glass.
The house as-built has a sloping roof with small concrete-patterned windows.

Jeff Myers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm I would love to see more of this plan, very interesting.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mono 7/187; Taschen 3/260. The Taschen entry doesn't include a drawing. Mono shows the plan above, but it's a shed roof, not butterfly. Two sides of the living room are entirely of glass, rising to the highest point of the roof. The plan is a very simple 'pollywog', mostly rectilinear with a few 45-degree angles tossed in for good measure. The living room terrace is quite dramatic, terminating in an acute angle.

This would be an interesting house to examine to see exactly where it went so wrong that FLW disowned it.
John

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Winn (Strong) Kalamazoo, MI Reply with quote

Plan showing windows and Shed Roof :

Interior of Living Room Windows:

Exterior of Living Room Windows:
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The perf blocks are a slight variation on the Winn design, again using the 12"x16" block. Notice that like Winn, the glass is not entirely encased within a concrete frame, but extends up to the top edge of the block so that there is a gap of about 10" along the edge that is open. Makes one wonder about the structural integrity of such a block, and yet there they are, 60 years old and going strong.

A study of all FLW's work showing alterations made by clients before, during and after construction and by subsequent owners would be instructive: Why do they make such alterations? Are construction changes such as those at Schwartz and Fallingwater always well thought out and necessary? Or are there instances when it would have been better to follow FLW's figures? When do design changes cross the line from merely innocuous adjustments in minor areas, like service rooms which FLW didn't spend much energy on, to egregious changes to major elements? Are updates to accommodate changing life styles or technological advancements acceptable reasons for change? When was interference by a client more than FLW could endure? Mabel Ennis was one source of distress that caused FLW to abandon a major work, and seemingly Mrs. Laurence Strong was another. Are there any buildings still standing that are 100% true to the original vision? Does it matter? All sorts of questions come to mind.

Recently there have been some contrarians asserting that architecture is not even an art, which many who think otherwise umbrageously dismiss as heresy beneath contempt. Perhaps it's time to launch a counterattack to help fight the sort of situation we're now facing with the David Wright House.
Jeff Myers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why this is not classified as Wright when other structures,for example after his death, like Walton and Ablin were altered and yet are classified as Wright by some.
I would think this home would be classified as one.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, I've just put that question to Bill Storrer. In the Companion, he doesn't mention it, just saying that only four of the houses were built. Perhaps when FLW disowned the design, it dropped off the map. Yet when I visited Parkwyn, when Mrs. McCartney, the Browns and Mr. Levin were still in residence, none of them mentioned that the house was FLW. I think we need to do more digging before we draw any conclusions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: