North by northwest house

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes, that seems about right. Two comments: I think you'll find that the structural "bent" (the triangular element)
wants a bit more of a haunch or ledge to rest upon -- for both visual and structural purposes ?

And, I think you can do more with the stone. I'm convinced that a lot of thought was put into this element of the set design,
with the aim to replicate a distinctive Wrightian feature. Here are photos of Fallingwater, a prime example of this texture:

A lower (i.e., earlier) portion of the stonework. It is here that the masons get into their stride with this
work; earlier portions of the work are more varied in texture. It is the smallest pieces, stacked, as well
as the regular appearance of thin projecting stones, combined with somewhat thicker pieces, which
define the unique character of this Wrightian type. The projections are carefully held to the same
dimension beyond the face, yielding a consistent shadow.

A magnificent photo of a prime space -- Mr Kaufmann's bedroom.

Exterior at the same elevation above grade; this photo could be used as a model for a drawn texture ?
Note that the vertical edges of the work are definitive. The same stones which project from the face also
project on the side faces of the piers and walls.

The same facade in different light -- how the stonework sparkles in the sun !

Fireplace in the (later) guest quarters. All photos by Yukio Futagawa.

snoopy

Post by snoopy »

Thanks you for these beautiful pictures, they are very instructive, concerning the triangular element below the balcony, after looking all the exterior paintings of the house, it seems that the extremity of the balcony is in space on at least 1,50 m (exactly 1,80 m on my drawing), I think/hope it's technically possible to do like that...

Indeed, my stone wall needs to be improved, for the moment I just wanted to see the general aspect of this side of the house, with the pictures you posted I will be able to make it better.

Yesterday I continued to try to find THE solution to the problem of exterior right side painting with these damned make windows, and the interior set near the fire place, but it's really... boring...
Nothing is impossible if we give ourselves the punishment

SDR

Post by SDR »

My point on the triangular element was just that I think it sits on a bit more of a shelf of stone . . .

SDR

snoopy

Post by snoopy »

Maybe I didn't understand what you wanted to say, I'm sure you have already guessed that, even I like it, I'm not excellent in english language :lol:
I just looked at my plan and I agree that the edge is not very important !
But about the right angle, which seems to rest simply on a stony edge, it's true that to my opinion, and I'm not an engineer, it's not technically satisfactory. If this house should be built today I imagine something like a reinforced concrete support -then covered with stone- where the metal coulb be screwed with large bolts.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes. A large stone, or a visible block of concrete, would be satisfactory to my way of thinking. I think the matte artist at least gave a bit more visual support than does you current drawing . . . ? And yes, visible bolts would almost certainly be present as well -- I would think.

Another way to have made the movie -- in an earlier, more primitive time, perhaps -- would be through the use of a model. If so, imagine stumbling across that model -- fully colored, with landscape features, etc -- in some Hollywood store-room or junk shop or yard sale . . . !

SDR

snoopy

Post by snoopy »

I suppose everybody here know this ??...
http://www.peterbeers.net/interests/flw ... .htm#Index

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes, that's quite a resource, isn't it. It's the self-directed enthusiasts who can benefit the community -- it happens again and again. Nobody assigned William Allin Storrer to the task of cataloging all of Wright's work, for instance. For the modest cost of a single volume, any Wright buff can own all of the work, on paper, because of his unique dedication.

I was amused and occasionally chagrinned to see, on Peter Beers's site, one driveway entrance after another -- the most we would get to see, through his camera, of a particular work, because he was faithfully unwilling to commit trespass. But again and again we get to see unique views of buildings we might not otherwise visit and view.

Alan Weintraub must have been committed to photographing some of late Wright residential work, for Frank Lloyd Wright: Mid-Century Modern, during the winter months. As a result, a number of the photos in the book show properties with (at least) a light dusting of snow on the lawns and the roofs of houses -- a lovely alternative to the many spring or summer-time or (occasionally) autumn photos we have always enjoyed.

SDR

snoopy

Post by snoopy »

Hi everybody,

before drawing properly the definitive plans on paper I look for the exact dimensions and details with the PC, not a professional hardware but simply Paint of window. I'm actually about to finish the first part of the house, from the balcony to the wall at the right of the entrance door:

As you can see nothing is really finished, in particular this damned balcony in the living room, it's very difficult to find the correct angle by taking account the exterior paintings and inside sets. The outlines of the fire place are also not perfectly defined. Finally, considering that if I was billionaire (!!!) this house would be built in France, it has to be thermically isolated, this is the reason why I imagine 30 cm stone outside wall/10 cm glass wool/10 cm stone inside wall where the stones are visible from the interior of the house; and 30 cm stone outside wall/10 cm polystyrene and plasterboards where the inside wall are plastered.

The outside views are now a little more detailed but not finished, if the west side, with the main painting can be interpreted with a little of imagination, the east side at the end of the film is almost completely hidden by the trees, it will be more difficult to find how the house is built at this point in particular...

Daniel Dominique Watts

North By Northwest FLOORPLAN - STAGESET PLANS

Post by Daniel Dominique Watts »

OK....Roderick Grant & SNOOPY & other fellow FLLW enthusiasts

......here you go!

I have finally located the stageset plan that was drawn & used on the film, done by Robert Boyle. I also found a webpage on GOOGLE books, for the book called "THE WRONG HOUSE: THE ARCHITECTURE OF ALFRED HITCHCOCK Steven Jacobs 010 Publishers, 2007 Softcover 342 pages Illustrated in b+w ISBN: 9789064506376 "

the link to it is on google books...search for it.

You can SCROLL thru its pages...ALL of them!

The plans are all there.....check out CHAPTER XL11 starting pg. 296

then you can READ my comments about what was incorrectly drawn on the plans & "fix them if you desire from the STAGE SET PLAN SHOWN!

ENJOY
FLLW FELLOWS & FLLW Enthusiasts, as I call "Frank-o-philes" (copyright 2010 D.Watts)!

Dear Author Stephen Jacobs:

Absolutely an INCREDIBLE book.
I am an Architect of 29 years practice & this was always one of my favorite screen homes, which sadly was not ever built in real life but only as 2 fullsize PARTIAL stagesets of which sketches,drawings, backdrops & paintings were made.

BRAVO for your showing it and the almost 100% accurate plans you have provided to show the home. I do not know how you created the 2nd plan but for the most part, job well done.

I did see a few minor errors:
No "openings (9) to be exact on each side of the living room veranda as decorative overhangs which Cary Grant climbs under & thru to get views of the living room. They are clearly & correctly drawn on the stageset plans but I didn't see them on your plans.

On 1st floor plan for the North By Northwest - Vandamm home however vs. the actual plan you post from the film - used as the stageset plan for setting up shots by Robert Boyle. If you not the wall you show on airstrip side of the home as a short wall in front of the front door is not there, only the short side wall beside the door. The column on the front entry, outside the doorway "porte cochere" is also not drawn the same as from the stageset.

1st floor: Under the staircase, shown in the kitchen is a bumpout toward the drivethru opening for car, this also wasn't drawn correctly as shown on the stageset plan. Under the same staircase to the 2nd floor is drawn the bench and back wall, however if you overlap it with the stageset drawing it is not exactly drawn correctly as the bench face is not touching the end of the left side wall next to stair as you draw it. Also the wall next to stair in kitchen area has "bump out/niches" shown on the stageset plan, however you are not showing that.

1st Floor: Also per the driveway elevation showing the rounded court area outside the kitchen area, there is shown on elevation by Boyle, and barely visible in the painted perspective view of it, a doorway that goes to the kitchen from the drive. It allows to get into the stairway area/hallway/kitchen. I realize it is not shown on the stageset plan, however if you are wanting to try to recreate an actual home based on the stage set plans, and the drawings & backdrop paintings of it, then I think it would be important.

For the 2nd floorplan you are drawing, there is not any way to get to the guest rooms from the plan you are drawing. I do not know if there was a 2nd floor plan drawn by Robert Boyle for building the stageset, however it would require a doorway from either next to the stairway @ the Top of the run of steps, to the driveway view wall of the guest rooms, or at least a doorway opposite Ms. Kendall's room entry.

I assume a doorway opposite Ms. Kendall's room would have been the typical way of doing it, however to reach the other 2 bedrooms is not clear unless they are all accessed via the driveway side outdoor veranda, which wouldn't in real life be too convenient in weather conditions, except as a 2nd entry to each of them. They had to have had a bathroom built on the "rock side" left of them as well if it were to be built in real life and possibly even a 2nd stairwell which is hinted at in the "painted" backdrop airplane shot of the house when the gun goes off inside the home & Cary Grant runs out of the house. See the right side of the Car drivethru under the home shows "glass" windows stacked vertically. It seems to also show a stairway inside as steps. But that of course is just a painted backdrop for it....but it shows Boyle's thoughts regarding that unbuilt stageset part of the home.

All in all, A really REALLY good job on the plans as they to my knowledge have never been drawn accurately thus far before your "Wrong House" book.

Congrats!

Daniel Dominique Watts,FLLW Assoc., FLLW Conservancy,
Chicago, IL

Daniel Dominique Watts

NORTH BY NORTHWEST - -FLOOR PLANS/STAGESET PLAN (From Movie)

I have finally located the stageset plan that was drawn & used on the film, done by Robert Boyle.

I also found a webpage on GOOGLE books, for the book called "THE WRONG HOUSE: THE ARCHITECTURE OF ALFRED HITCHCOCK Steven Jacobs 010 Publishers, 2007 Softcover 342 pages Illustrated in b+w ISBN: 9789064506376 "

the link to it: http://books.google.com/books?id=rIDVqj ... navlinks_s

You can SCROLL thru its pages...ALL of them!

The plans are all there.....check out CHAPTER XL11 starting pg. 296

then you can READ my comments about what was incorrectly drawn on the plans & "fix them if you desire from the STAGE SET PLAN SHOWN!

ENJOY

Dear Author Stephen Jacobs:

Absolutely an INCREDIBLE book.
I am an Architect of 29 years practice & this was always one of my favorite screen homes, which sadly was not ever built in real life but only as 2 fullsize PARTIAL stagesets of which sketches,drawings, backdrops & paintings were made.

BRAVO for your showing it and the almost 100% accurate plans you have provided to show the home. I do not know how you created the 2nd plan but for the most part, job well done.

I did see a few minor errors:
No "openings (9) to be exact on each side of the living room veranda as decorative overhangs which Cary Grant climbs under & thru to get views of the living room. They are clearly & correctly drawn on the stageset plans but I didn't see them on your plans.

On 1st floor plan for the North By Northwest - Vandamm home however vs. the actual plan you post from the film - used as the stageset plan for setting up shots by Robert Boyle. If you not the wall you show on airstrip side of the home as a short wall in front of the front door is not there, only the short side wall beside the door. The column on the front entry, outside the doorway "porte cochere" is also not drawn the same as from the stageset.

1st floor: Under the staircase, shown in the kitchen is a bumpout toward the drivethru opening for car, this also wasn't drawn correctly as shown on the stageset plan. Under the same staircase to the 2nd floor is drawn the bench and back wall, however if you overlap it with the stageset drawing it is not exactly drawn correctly as the bench face is not touching the end of the left side wall next to stair as you draw it. Also the wall next to stair in kitchen area has "bump out/niches" shown on the stageset plan, however you are not showing that.

1st Floor: Also per the driveway elevation showing the rounded court area outside the kitchen area, there is shown on elevation by Boyle, and barely visible in the painted perspective view of it, a doorway that goes to the kitchen from the drive. It allows to get into the stairway area/hallway/kitchen. I realize it is not shown on the stageset plan, however if you are wanting to try to recreate an actual home based on the stage set plans, and the drawings & backdrop paintings of it, then I think it would be important.

For the 2nd floorplan you are drawing, there is not any way to get to the guest rooms from the plan you are drawing. I do not know if there was a 2nd floor plan drawn by Robert Boyle for building the stageset, however it would require a doorway from either next to the stairway @ the Top of the run of steps, to the driveway view wall of the guest rooms, or at least a doorway opposite Ms. Kendall's room entry.

I assume a doorway opposite Ms. Kendall's room would have been the typical way of doing it, however to reach the other 2 bedrooms is not clear unless they are all accessed via the driveway side outdoor veranda, which wouldn't in real life be too convenient in weather conditions, except as a 2nd entry to each of them. They had to have had a bathroom built on the "rock side" left of them as well if it were to be built in real life and possibly even a 2nd stairwell which is hinted at in the "painted" backdrop airplane shot of the house when the gun goes off inside the home & Cary Grant runs out of the house. See the right side of the Car drivethru under the home shows "glass" windows stacked vertically. It seems to also show a stairway inside as steps. But that of course is just a painted backdrop for it....but it shows Boyle's thoughts regarding that unbuilt stageset part of the home.

All in all, A really REALLY good job on the plans as they to my knowledge have never been drawn accurately thus far before your "Wrong House" book.

Daniel Dominique Watts,FLLW Assoc., FLLW Conservancy,
Chicago, IL

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks for that ! Finally, we get somewhere with this "house" -- including drawings, and some critically-important stills from the movie. Interesting that "North by Northwest" is the final chapter in the book ?

SDR

Daniel Dominique Watts

last chapter - - more notes & images for all FLLW/NxNW f

yes just before the acknowledgements, the credits, and the Biographies of ALL connected with Hitchcock films, which to me was an amazing read.

The name Horning seems really familiar to me, but I do not think he was an FLLW Fellow. Regardless, Boyle drew the home sketches & plan for the "Built" stage set for the movie.

The section on the home drawn towards the front door is interesting but the exterior view showing overlapping of variegated rectangles overlapping is much more interesting to see on the drawing. I DID draw the door on my Autocad drawings of it & it has the 1st stepped rectangle of the door measuring 19" wide x 38" tall. The next layer is 19" above that rectangle & 12" wide board, then the other lapped 3/4" boards on it are drawn accordingly to the height & width.

Note: the width of the front door is NOT 3'-0" wide. It is wider. It also is not 6'8" ht. It is 8'0" ht tall, which is the same as the ceiling,underside of the drive-thru for the car, & the underside of the carport ceiling.

Here is a composite of the plan & stageset at "same scale", and the elevation sketched by Robt. Boyle with my overlap of Autocad "to scale of 1/4" per foot. 8'-0" door shown.

Daniel Dominique Watts

plans and stageset, carport side elevation

Daniel Dominique Watts

North By Northwest - Vandamm house - 2nd floor plan

snoopy

Post by snoopy »

:shock: Hello everybody, I can't believe it, the plans are here... Thank you so much for finding such infos, my work will be simplified with this awesome help !!!