Questions about the software mechanics of this board

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
pharding

Questions about the software mechanics of this board

Post by pharding »

When sending messages through this message board, why do some messages end up in the Out Box and some in the Sent Box? What is the difference?

Why do I have to log on twice every time that I access this message board when I want to post a message? Am I doing something wrong?
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

Mobius

Post by Mobius »

You are lucky: even though it says I am logged in, when I click "Reply" it takes me to the home page, where I have to log in again, then navigate to the thread, then click "reply" AGAIN.

Basically this behaviour is attributable to a know-nothing bunch of administrators, who know sweet FA about PHPBB code, or how to configure a Bulletin Board properly. I bet there aren't even any proper backups - so if the server went south, then when it all came back online (probably 3 months later, instead of 3 hours), all the posts would be lost.

Oh - we'd probably all have to register again too. :P

This is what happens when an owner (presumably "Savewright") won't allow the community access to the nuts and bolts of the site. There are several forum stalwarts who would be more than capable of running this BB correctly, (i.e. actually moderating for a start!) and yet the evidence we see is that the owners really don't seem to give a rat's ass about the place.
How many escape pods are there? "NONE, SIR!" You counted them? "TWICE, SIR!"

*Plotting to take over the world since 1965

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The problems on this site are addressed by a volunteer on an "as needed" basis. The people at the Conservancy office rarely enter the chat room, so they are not aware of problems people might be having with it. The only way to address any problems you are having is to e-mail the office directly. They will get it fixed as soon as they can.

Keep in mind, this is not a wealthy organization. The office is overwhelmed with work and unable to afford more hired help. Patience is a virtue.