Coonley Playhouse on the market

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Coonley Playhouse on the market

Post by Roderick Grant »

For the first time in 40 years, the Coonley Playhouse will go on the market. The building was converted into a residence many years ago. About 40 years ago, it was acquired by the Shipper-Smiths, founding members of the FLWBC, who deleted additions and restored deletions of the original construction, including high-quality replications of the art glass windows.

As a residence made out of a school, it has some oddities that a lot of home buyers probably won't relate to, so it is hoped a good steward of the building as it is can be found.

(Mrs. Shipper-Smith bought, restored and sold the Coonley Gardener's Cottage.)

peterm

Post by peterm »

peterm

Post by peterm »

Tom

Post by Tom »

Precusor to the Avery Coonley School in Chicago.

For some reason I've always avoided studying this building.
Not sure why.
I think it has had something to do with the incongruity of the design with
the original house.
These exterior shots however are great and make me wonder just how
radical this must have been for 1912.
The Usonian seems to be all there.
Would this actually be the first structure where the cantilevered trellis occurs above windows?

Rood

Post by Rood »

Tom wrote:Precusor to the Avery Coonley School in Chicago.

For some reason I've always avoided studying this building. Not sure why.
I think it has had something to do with the incongruity of the design with
the original house.

These exterior shots however are great and make me wonder just how
radical this must have been for 1912. The Usonian seems to be all there.

Would this actually be the first structure where the cantilevered trellis occurs above windows?
As for the last ... somewhere, long ago, I read one of Marion Mahoney's blasts at FLLW ... claiming he stole the idea of the cantilevered trellis from Griffin (along with the concept of reinforced concrete block walls.) Unfortunately she didn't document her claim. Historians?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Was Coonley first? Constructed, I would say yes ... without glancing. As an unbuilt element, the Call Building, though obviously different in its not being residential, is a strong precedent for the Coonley Playhouse.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Someone could chart for us the swells in the stream, or the moments, at least, when Wright's strongest minimalist/reductivist muse surfaced. Would it be
heretical to suggest that that's what we see, in these most abstracted, planes-passing-or-capping-planes, levitating-rectangles creations of Wright -- in this or
any other period of the career ?

SDR

Tom

Post by Tom »

The Call Building .... of course.
So this form is germinating around this time in many ways
I imiagine
Swells in the stream ... indeed

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Three Quarters of a Century of Drawings gives 1911 for the Playhouse and 1912 for the Call building.

Sweeney's Wright in Hollywood lists three possible precursors for the textile block system - Lloyd Wright, Griffin and William Nelson.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I've heard it in my profession, too: "We hire and train our competitors . . ."

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

"Would this actually be the first structure where the cantilevered trellis occurs above windows?"

When did Wright add the marquee over the entrance to his Oak Park studio ?

SDR

DRN

Post by DRN »

I've always thought there was a kinship between the Coonley Playhouse and the Yahara Boathouse project. Particularly with respect to the axial, clerestoried "nave" and lower side spaces that make up the central form.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yahara+ ... 97&bih=914

SDR

Post by SDR »

https://visionsofwright.wordpress.com/2 ... ouse-1905/

These asymmetrical plans of the structure are a surprise -- to me, anyway. Note that the first plan is a split, showing both levels on the same drawing, but hardly revealing the
pinwheel symmetry of the second floor (so labeled, on the second sheet).

Pfeiffer connects this building to Unity Temple, via a later note by Wright, in the earlier Monograph entry -- at which point Pfeiffer is still unsure of the date, perhaps influenced
by the erroneous date inscribed on the "window-shade rendering" made c. 1930. By the time of the Taschen editions he has settled on 1905, and presents these plans for the
first time.

© 1986 A.D.A EDITA Tokyo Co., Ltd. and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation
© 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I didn't realize Call was so late. I pay little attention to dates. They vary from publication to publication.

SDR, the marquee was added to the Studio in 1911 for the remodeling into a residence for Catherine and the kids.

Coonley Playhouse, Unity Temple, Yahara Boathouse, Call Building are all of a piece.

SDR

Post by SDR »

All but the Call building made it into Wasmuth, in time to astound and delight the Europeans. Wright could rightly claim to have pioneered that vital branch of the modern movement -- and did.

SDR