Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Sure, we can call anything "Frank Lloyd Wright"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exterior of the Sonoma house is handsome, but the interiors are prosaic. For $2.6M, one should get more. Meanwhile, a truly wonderful MCM, inside and out, of old-growth pine costs a mere $510K, and can't sell! You can't find a 2-bedroom condo for that amount in LA.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1150-Heaven-Hill-Rd-Sonoma-CA-95476/15831432_zpid/

They just can't help themselves, can they: if it's modern, it must have been inspired by Wright. Nothing could be less Wrightian than rows of bright white sheet-rocked cells with punched windows . . .

The Atlanta house is nice enough in its way. I am always comforted by window walls in which an implied wainscot is created by a waist-high horizontal muntin or mullion. Cliff May's prefabs had that feature to their many glazed doors, and I am also reminded of Mies, though his glazing division is generally lower than this, I think.

S
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another melange of fact and fiction -- or half-truth -- about Wright's most famous building.

https://mymodernmet.com/frank-lloyd-wright-fallingwater-house/

But here's a question I can't answer: is the concrete at Fallingwater "covered in stucco" ? I suppose the lack of texture or even of formwork joints means that there must be more just paint on those surfaces . . .

S
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a really good question to me.
Wonder what others on the forum have to say.

(aside: the article contains the trope that Wright designed FW in a single morning.
His whole career up to that point was behind that building.
Here is a world historical genius with decades of experience sitting down to draw.
The time it took for him to draw that morning -
ostensibly the time it took to make the trip from Pittsburg in the 30's
- is just the mere tip of the iceberg.)
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course.

It troubles me to see "journalism" of this sort, published anywhere. Was popular-culture periodical journalism always this lax ?

I suppose it might have been. We know what to expect from the supermarket check-out tabloids; encountering the word "architecture," though, leads me to expect more, as if serious art was being discussed seriously.

But the personal blog -- no matter the presentation, now that anyone can plug into a site-builder and "print professionally" -- is clearly not edited by anyone but the sole proprietor -- and I've come to expect less from the sole proprietor than from the partnership when it comes to editing and conferring . . . in any phase or department of a going concern ?

The pity of it is, there is no way to correct the record, in this case. (This piece was a Google offering, appearing thanks to my gmail account, apparently, for what that's worth . . .)

S
JimM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the website (Fallingwater.org), the concrete is indeed coated with stucco.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be adamant, because I cannot find the issue of Scientific American that published the article about the restoration of FW, but I believe the exterior was not coated with stucco. Rather, the basic structural elements were poured concrete, and a second layer of concrete of a slightly different density was troweled over to make the surface less 'brut.' (One can imagine that pouring those gently rounded edges would have been close to impossible.) It is the difference between the compositions of the two materials that caused some of the problems FW has had over the years. This may be comparing Granny Smith and Fuji, but the smooth texture of the FW surfaces suggest that there is a difference between the concrete used for the finish and stucco.
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be it:

https://www.fallingwater.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/2000-Scientific-American.pdf
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I skimmed the article and could not find reference to how the concrete was finished.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that article, Dan and Tom. It is always refreshing to read text written by engineers, as they, like doctors and lawyers, are trained to speak
accurately about their subject, whatever it may be.

I gained several new pieces of information about the repairs to the building, including confirmation of the function of the four living-room window
mullions, a likely scenario explaining the error that may have been made at Taliesin, and the extent of the invisible repairs that were made.

As the article was written before the work was done, there may or may not be something else to be said about that, I suppose. Also, the author
assumes that Mr Wright did not initially conceive of the structural function of those mullions, an idea I find hard to accept.

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that isn't the article. There is an article in some periodical that shows a cross-section of a terrace wall with the two applications of concrete. I will have to scour my library for it.
JimM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website has more detail, but not sure why they would offer a blatant error in a section specifically discussing the reinforced concrete and restoration:

"The rounded tops of parapets were formed of a cement and sand blend, applied by hand after the wall had cured. This “cold joint,” where the two applications meet, has resulted in long irregular cracking that also served as an entrance point for water to seep between the concrete walls and its finish stucco coat."

If accurate, a coating of stucco would be the logical solution to create a visually seamless transition between materials of the parapet top and walls... cold joint cracking not-withstanding.
DavidC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired ‘parallelogram’ house asks $560K

David
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone make stucco with, say, glass fibers in the mix ? Or is it asking too much of a coating to encase underlying material and keep it in place . . .

S
DavidC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet, another new use of the word 'Usonian'.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 81 of 85

Jump to: