Sure, we can call anything "Frank Lloyd Wright"

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Would "Sure, we can keep our mouth shut about Wright . . ." be a separate thread, or could I squeak an example in here -- a building posted online which DOESN'T make claim to Wright's mantle -- in so many words:

https://www.designboom.com/architecture ... -08-28-18/

SDR

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

SDR

Post by SDR »

"We probably get an inquiry about a house every other week," says John H. Waters, preservation programs manager for Chicago’s Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy. "The things people suggest are Wright houses vary from plausible to completely implausible."

The realtor who first listed the house as a "Wright design" is named, in a timeline at the end of the piece. A Derald K Harbert died in Oregon in 1950, at the age of 32.

SDR

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

SDR

Post by SDR »

So much empty space. What do you do with a bedroom like that -- hold dance classes in it ?

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Isn't that the way with rich people today? Jim DeLong's tiny Wolford House has a living room 9' wide (with a bump-out for the couch) and doesn't seem at all confined. Sarah Susanka was onto something.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

They're not calling this one "Frank Lloyd Wright", but here's a 'Usonia' handbag.

David

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The Murphy Bed was a wonderful invention. A friend of mine has one in his guest bedroom, which is usually in the closed position, so he can use the room as his study. I have seen countless plans of circa 1920-30 apartment buildings in Frisco with Murphy beds. SDR, is that the era of the building you live in? Do you have a Murphy?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes -- my 1928 50-unit building is mostly studios, and they were equipped with swing-out fold-down Murphy beds. There is a 38" door from the living room to the "sleeping closet,"
with a massive cast-steel (?) hinge tang with four stacked eyes near the bottom, lag bolted to the door jamb. The beds are long gone; I haven't seen one here in the 33 years of my
residency.

Many if not most of the doors have been removed, I think; mine is still present. It opens the "wrong way" (latch side nearest the corner of the room) but it isn't in my way. I use the
space, 78 x 84 inches, for a work table with sleeping loft overhead, accessed by a steep stair at the far wall.

S

Meisolus

Post by Meisolus »

RARE! Antique Frank LLoyd Wright Window Panes Architectural Salvage Wavy Glass
This made my heart stop for a moment. At first glance they bear a strong resemblance to the pointed doors going into the Bar & Garden Club at Midway Gardens. The proportions are wrong as is the base, but I got excited for a quick minute.

Of course the Midway doors had art glass in them, but even having the frames would be nice.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond