Sure, we can call anything "Frank Lloyd Wright"

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Ooh-wee -- looking good, Paul ! Delightful landscaping, too. Those roof overhangs have never looked larger, somehow . . .

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Although the Venice house is a higher-end version, that sort of design by numbers is popping up all over LA, stuffed onto properties meant for 1920s cottages. One might see a bit of Scandinavian design in them, but that would be either Lego or Ikea.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

SDR wrote:Ooh-wee -- looking good, Paul ! Delightful landscaping, too. Those roof overhangs have never looked larger, somehow . . .SDR
SDR,
If you are referring to the Yelland House, I have to give credit for the landscaping design to John Eifler.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

Really . . . well, that is a part of John's practice that I wasn't aware of. The Compleat Architect, we might say ? Just as it should be.

One of my roommates at school was (is) a landscape architect. He came from rural Massachusetts and waxed poetic about "the swamps of home,"
and went on to a career as a professor of the discipline in Toronto. Where is he today ? He's the revered alien presence of a community in Thailand,
still gardening -- and blessedly free of American politics. More power to him . . .

SDR

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

The article doesn't quite explain what a blind archery range is, but it sounds like a place I'd want to stay away from.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

John

Moonlight Point

Post by John »

It actually has some "Wrightian" elements. Not bad. A fantastic graphics presentation.

Rood

Post by Rood »

Perhaps best seen by moonlight and starlight.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

DavidC wrote:100 Moonlight Point (unbranded) - [5:22] David
1) the digital graphic presentation of this house allows the "camera" view angles that would not be possible in the "real world."

2) the fast motion of the presentation caused many instances of "ghosting" in the images.

No way to judge this house's actual condition. What are they hiding about the current state of this twenty-five-year-old house? The realtor.com listing shows nothing but still images from the digital fly-thru presentation: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 2897-44602

3) the house has some nice Wrightian elements but has many rooms that are overly large for their purpose. Just one of those, for example, would be the laundry room.

4) price seems cheap based on the cost per sq ft and the acreage.

5) It has been for sale for nine years... because of price or condition?

SDR

Post by SDR »

I'm trying to imagine the process that produced the interior images of the house. The mechanistic camerawork seems more like something found in a video tour of a digital model. I've never seen this in real-world filming . . .

I'm not sure what is meant by 'view angles that would not be possible in the "real world"' -- but the result is nevertheless eerie and unsettling, as well as too quickly paced by far.

The location of this property seems very similar to another -- a neighbor, perhaps -- that was shown to us a year or two ago, by an owner who was looking for advice about his roof, as I recall it. Anyone recall that ?

SDR

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

SDR wrote:I'm trying to imagine the process that produced the interior images of the house. The mechanistic camerawork seems more like something found in a video tour of a digital model. SDR
The "process" is a 3D digital creation of the house because it is a video tour of a digital model, not the actual house.