Sweeton Workspace

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
egads

Post by egads »

A new stainless dishwasher with a large full width curved handle is hardly subtitle like the mcm one would be. In the example from Atomic Rance I cited above, the original dishwasher had panels that matched the surrounding wood, held in with a chrome frame. I have not seen that style in a long time. Those units would usually have two metal panels offering 4 color choices, you faced out the color you wanted or removed all of them and sometimes a spacer to use wood. In fancy raised panel kitchens, the face would be attached to a thin panel that fit the outlining frame.
Integrated is now the only way to custom match a kitchen. Actually, the Miele units all come integrated. If you want stainless, you order the factory panel.
In less expensive units, you can only get black or white. I bet you could not even find an almond one anymore. I get idea of honest materials, but then one is stuck with the (in my opinion) bad taste of the present. One would have to shop pretty carefully to find honest materials in the current offerings.
Everything I see is pure bling.
I have retained the lemon yellow oven and cooktop that were original to my house, even though it means I have to manually clean that oven. But nobody makes a lemon yellow dishwasher anymore.

egads

Post by egads »

Of course I say that and then find this:

http://www.elmirastoveworks.com/northst ... er-panels/

$400.00 plus tax & shipping dishwasher additional

A whole dishwasher is $1700.

http://bigchill.com/shop/dishwashers/bi ... ishwasher/

The Big Chill finds it necessary to put their name on everything in big letters.
A bling itself. Sort of like that blowhard's name on all of his buildings.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Hah! Yeah, I want a Trump fridge. They're HUUUGE!...
dtc wrote:Which houses did Wright specify stainless steel for counter tops?
I'm not aware of one where it was originally designed and installed.
Mrs. Hagan rejected the red Micarta that was specified by Wright for her workspace, and requested stainless.
You're right, dtc. I was thinking of Hagan. So Wright might have allowed stainless but never chose it... Even Fallingwater has what appears to be Formica or Micarta "linen" (in a butter yellow color):

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 84b5d9.jpg

I wouldn't rule out stainless appliances. They did appear in numerous Usonians, including the Exhibition house with its sweet Chambers gear. Here is the Walker kitchen (1948) with original stainless appliances and red laminate countertops:

http://anotherimg.dazedgroup.netdna-cdn ... 328713.jpg

classic form

Post by classic form »

Here is a before and after on ours. We kept the sink and stove. The rest had been replaced by po. I don't think we could live with original dishwasher and oven on a day to day basis but the stove and sink are just fine.

SDR

Post by SDR »

That is such a beautiful galley -- a very early example of the "non-kitchen" ?

Yes, I had forgotten how difficult it might be to find a simple and unstyled appliance. I'm no fan of the big sweeping handle. (Some maker must have started that, a while back, and everybody else jumped on the bandwagon. Wonder who that was . . .)

SDR

victoriad

Post by victoriad »

According to Grant Hildebrand's book about the Palmer House, stainless steel counters were installed during construction of the house. He called the ensemble "a tour de force of sheet-metal craft" because it was constructed in just three pieces, with 30- and 60-degree angles and an integral (double bowl) sink.

Every time we visit, we marvel at those counters. They reflect decades of service with a lovely, mellow glow. And they are so clean!

SDR

Post by SDR »

The poster kindly forwards this photo of the Palmer kitchen. She informs us that this is the original kitchen -- including Mary Palmer's crockery; only the refrigerator and dishwasher have been replaced.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I see no reason to settle for what the marketplace considers good design if you don't like it yourself. Restoration, for the public or for private use, should use the aesthetic as the guide. Those stainless stoves, dishwashers and refrigerator/freezers about the size of a bodega look institutional to me. There is no intrinsic reason to favor one style, design, material or color over another.

classic form, I recall you had some concerns about security when dealing with your entrance. Jalousie windows are notoriously insecure. Do you have some way of keeping your kitchen windows safe?

DRN

Post by DRN »

We have a jalousie door in our kitchen...security is relative when fully half a house is operable glass. It's kind of like locking a convertible, you rely on the alarm and leave nothing valuable around.

classic form

Post by classic form »

I really never considered the Jalousie windows an issue...they are more secure than the single pane glass in the rest of the house due to glass storms on the inside. I think we have about 20 or so on the ground level.
If anyone ever broke in they would go after the TV and computer...the furniture I'm not concerned about, most would walk right past it thinking it old and worthless:)

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

To breach the security of a glass house requires shattering the windows. Most security measures are more dissuasions for the less committed burglars. Jalousie panes can be lifted out one by one, quietly. I would not feel safe.

It was a jalousie that allowed a burglar into Harriet Freeman's house when she was old and wheelchair-bound. She and her caretaker were tied up while the burglar ransacked the house. Of course, her neighborhood was horrid, full of drug-addled thieves.

classic form

Post by classic form »

classic form wrote:...they are more secure than the single pane glass in the rest of the house due to glass storms on the inside.
Yes, without internal panes I'd be a little on edge...maybe. Jalousies are not common here in the north and most, if not all, Would not know that they just "lift out".

Wrighter

Post by Wrighter »

Our jalousies likewise have storm windows on the inside that we never remove, for that security reason. Still, the jalousies leak like a sieve. The single pane storm window is little defense against the midwest cold, and the small panes might as well be a screen. We hope to replace them some day . . . .

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Bringing the Sweeton Workspace thread to post-outage status.

David

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

I haven't previously seen this thread. Thanks David for putting it back on the shelf where we can find it.

Wow Dan! Masterful work you've done in the kitchen and the work room. Perfecto.