Sweeton Workspace

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
egads

Post by egads »

Faucett had stainless counters (and backsplash) until it's recent sale and redo.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

What few photos I can find of Hagan kitchen show that a backsplash of some sort, probably wood with steel facing, eliminated the need to scribe the steel to fit the stone walls. The photos aren't clear enough to be sure how it was done.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

It should be noted though, that Fawcett stainless steel was a later add, not specified by Wright.
KevinW

stoddard

Post by stoddard »

Palmer has stainless steel countertops in the butler's pantry and the kitchen. Red plastic laminate is used in the children's bathroom.

ozwrightfan

Post by ozwrightfan »

Hi Mod mom,

In relation to one large sink bowl in preference to two, I would recommend two. Whilst one large bowl is logical for large pans etc, how many times do you wash those type of pieces in a year? These large pieces could be washed in the laundry tub which normally is a large bowl.
I have had a few clients over the years who have regretted choosing a large single bowl, as they had to fill it with so much water in order to do a regular wash and the water would quickly become cold as well.

egads

Post by egads »

Ozwrightfan, here in the U.S. We do not fill sinks to do dishes, we just put then into a machine. That said, there is a double sink with a larger bowl that runs all the way back, with just a deck for the faucet on one side. I have one and there are still items that will not fit in the bigger one.

Mod mom

Post by Mod mom »

I actually have a single large sink now and am very pleased with it. Just put hot soapy water in the specific pan and clean it that way. We will be installing a water efficient dishwasher at Gunning. Our appliances will be modern. My husband and I both agree the architects and original owners were very forward thinking people and would have put in modern appliances. Anyway, I'm not even sure what a "bendix" even is (on the original plans).

Thanks for the suggestions!

SDR

Post by SDR »

A few years ago it was still thought that, for a "proper and complete" restoration, the icing on the cake (as it were) was period appliances -- sometimes with new guts ? I think that movement has faded . . .

SDR

Rood

Post by Rood »

Photos of the Bendix Ironing Machine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bendix+ ... iAodg0sICQ

DRN

Post by DRN »

In the Sweeton's list of needs for their new house sent to Wright in 1949, was a requirement for electric and water connections for their Bendix washing machine. An earlier machine similar to theirs is pictured in a sidebar here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bendix_Corporation

Wright worked the Bendix into the Sweeton workspace opposite the very deep commercial stainless steel two compartment sink (we kept the sink). The Bendix's replacement, an early '70's vintage front load Kenmore was in the house when we acquired it in 2008...it worked sort of. With the move of the laundry to the workshop in 2013, the Bendix slot is now filled with a Fisher Paykel dish drawer, and a baking dish drawer beneath.

peterm

Post by peterm »

SDR wrote:A few years ago it was still thought that, for a "proper and complete" restoration, the icing on the cake (as it were) was period appliances -- sometimes with new guts ? I think that movement has faded . . .

SDR
I think it's still the museum quality gold standard for a "proper and complete" restoration as long as the fixtures function well. Stafford assured me that the appliances at Willey work perfectly and are used on a regular basis by the owners:

http://www.oldhouseonline.com/restoring ... t-kitchen/

The vintage appliances, like a vintage car parked in a carport in period photos, illustrate how truly innovative and modern Wright's kitchens were (and still are today).

SDR

Post by SDR »

Right. The subject raises the issue of what a restored historic residence wants to be -- what its purpose is, how it will be used, what it represents. I assume there is a recognized difference between a house museum and a family residence ? If a single configuration can satisfy both definitions simultaneously, so much the better -- but I doubt that many would expect that miracle to occur with any frequency. Not many would readily accept a 1940 automobile as the family driver -- no matter its condition ?

SDR

Mod mom

Post by Mod mom »

Love the Bendix information. I believe I recall Nora Gunning telling me it was a washing machine. Whatever Bendix model they had it clearly fit under the counter (as marked on the floor plan). I guess that meant it was a front loader. Our washer/dryer will not be in our kitchen, but off the master suite (original carport).

I agree with SDR about the function of the house playing a role in what appliances will be used. It is wonderful to see original appliances on tours, but on equipment that is used everyday for a family, it might not be so practical. I believe energy efficiency, which is better for the environment, trumps the appearance of an original in functioning homes such as ours.

Preserving old appliances wasn't an issue in our case. What we purchased had no appliances, they were all stolen. Even the p. lam cabinets were pulled away from the walls in search of copper to steal, as well as damaged from water. The only item left from the original kitchen was the wall mounted shelves along the stone wall, which will be restored and returned to the stone wall. With the exception of one ~24"X24" piece of butcher block, all the original counter tops had also long disappeared.

On a bright note, I did purchase a near match pinkish peach sink for the point room bathroom. The original tub and toilet remained but the sink and faucets were stolen. Although not exact, it is very close and since all three sit in different rooms, not in sight of each other, we decided to buy it. I looked at a lot of pinkish and orangish period sinks and none come nearly as close as this does. If I ever find a perfect match, I'll snatch it up for for the time being this will work!

egads

Post by egads »

I am a big fan of "integrated" dishwashers. Those are made to accept a panel that matches the rest of the cabinetry. While I do like the idea of stainless steel counters, I think stainless steel dishwashers call to much attention to themselves.

In an issue of Atomic Ranch, there was a story of a period kitchen with all of it's original working appliances. When the dishwasher quit, they figured out a way to use the front of the old dishwasher as the panel of an integrated dishwasher. So now the new one looks just like the original.

By the way, if space is an issue, my friend has an 18" Miele and it is amazing how much it will hold. If using a full 24" model, try to get one that has a "top rack only" feature for those empty nest loads. I think the mid level Bosch ones have that. I love my Bosch, it uses an in line heater for the water, no heating element in the bottom to melt Tupperware.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Appliance manufacturers over the years have gone to ever greater lengths to make it possible to "integrate" their devices into the style of any kitchen. Architects are left to decide for themselves whether the use of such clever disguises is a way to streamline their work, or whether their training -- in the honest use of material, for instance -- should prevent them from succumbing to such temptations . . .

An obvious alternative, and one often employed, is to use a coordinated set of appliances, which differ honestly from the surrounding cabinetry while maintaining an alternate consistency of their own.

Indeed, it could be said that one way of keeping a mid-century kitchen to the spirit if not the letter of its original constitution, would be to ignore the latter-day streamlining now possible, in favor of the frank presence of its appliances which was the norm at the time -- even if those appliances are of modern manufacture ?

SDR