Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Fran Lloyd Wright's hemicycle designs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therman7g

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: The Spring House Reply with quote

Tallahassee Trust for Historic Preservation, Inc.

Look for the SpringHouse.pdf under downloads:
http://www.taltrust.org/research-center/
therman7g

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Not Fallingwater, but Falling Apart Reply with quote

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Separating the Hemicycles into three groups seems easy enough.

Concave Hemicycles: Winn, Laurent, Pearce, Rayward/Shepherd, Marden, Spencer

Convex (Football) Hemicycles: Llw Wright, Lewis

Jacobs II and Meyer are both Concave on radial grids, but they are not resolved as rectilinear on the opposite side, just a concentric curve, so maybe Parenthetical Hemicycle?

Sol Friedman doesn't belong in this group at all. In plan, it's almost Conjoined Yurts.
peterm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done...
Unbrook

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand the passive solar aspect of the hemisphere design, but also feel that the shape of the interior space is an unique feature. Within one continuous room there is the feeling of separate spaces.
DavidC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marden isn't a concave hemi. It's window-wall that overlooks the Potomac is actually straight across, making it a 'flat-on-one-side football'.

Interior view of window-wall

Exterior view of window-wall #1

Exterior view of window-wall #2

David
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, David. Note that, in your first exterior photo, the floor line is at the bottom of the glass. This speaks to the site topography. Perhaps Mr Wright (or the client) didn't want to cut off the view of the river, below, from the living room.

In the absence of a horizontal plane immediately outside the glass, only a diminished degree of solar gain might be expected inside, perhaps ?

In any event, here we have a unique flat-window-wall "hemicycle" from our Old Man . . .

SDR
JPB_1971

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed the date of the article on the Lewis house which was written 10 years ago...is Ms. Lewis still alive and is the house still standing? Has anything ever been done in the last 10 years concerning its state?
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last update I heard/read, which was approx. 4-5 years ago, Mrs. Lewis was still alive and living in the house, and the state of decline and disrepair was still ongoing, i.e. pretty much a status quo situation as described in the 2002 article.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stone-veneered (tiled ?) exterior is unusual. I assume that's original to the house . . .

Is this the only one with demilune fenestration ?

SDR
Education Professor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR...the "stone" exterior of Lewis is indeed unusual. I am unfamiliar with Ocala stone. The exterior looks like some type of vertical brick pattern to me.

On another note, I've always found it interesting that Mr. Wright designed such unusual houses for his sons David and Llewellyn. Any ideas for the motivation behind these designs besides the typical site and family requirements? Was it to provide them with special designs as the sons of Mr. Wright? Was it because he thought that they would be able to embrace and appreciate such unique designs? Perhaps it was a bit of both? Just some late-night thoughts......

EP
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR-

It is not even 7:45am EDT and thanks to you, I have already learned the meaning of a new word today, demilune. It's going to be a good day.
Craig

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the Lewis House about 10 years ago. I was living in Tallahassee and getting my Masters degree at Florida State University. The house was fairly visible from the wooded street. We were naturally curious so we simply picked up the phone, called Clifton and arranged a visit.

The visit was quite surreal, to say the least. The house was in a sad state of decay but little, if anything, had apparently been changed. As the article states, there was overwhelming clutter everywhere, doors did not operate, and the carport had completely disintegrated. That being said, the finishes were all intact, if not shabby. I remember the ceilings had the most wonderful concrete-like finish, quite textured (of course chunks had fallen down). The concrete block was especially beautiful. Ocala block, made from a local limestone, has a tan, buff color which is quite warm and textural. It's miles from the more standard utilitarian type of cinder block. The kitchen was circular with a circular integrated dining table. Lovely. The stars up to the mezzanine area were suspended by iron bars which made them seem to float. There was a small basement service area. Clifton showed us the bathroom, which instead of the single one Wright wanted, had been divided into two, and not successfully I recall.

One aspect that I noticed which seemed blatantly wrong to me were the ceiling lights in the living room under the mezzanine. The demilune windows line the wall where there is built in seating. Above them is a angled row of ceiling lights which don't line up or relate in placement to these windows. I remember thinking how much nicer it would have been if the windows and lights were in alignment. A small detail actually but still, I've always wondered if this arrangement were on plan or some careless mistake made during construction.

Anyway, Clifton was warm and friendly, if not a bit "eccentric." The entire visit felt like some sort of modern Southern gothic story.
Unbrook

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidC

Thanks for posting TNGuy"s photos of the Marden House. What a revelation. I wonder how much is original and how musch is renovation?
The ceiling mounted fixture in the hallway and the recessed lights.
I wonder how access to the property was achieved!
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbrook wrote:
DavidC

Thanks for posting TNGuy"s photos of the Marden House. What a revelation. I wonder how much is original and how musch is renovation?
The ceiling mounted fixture in the hallway and the recessed lights.
I wonder how access to the property was achieved!

You are very welcome (TnGuy and I are one-and-the-same). To try and answer your questions:

The vast majority of Marden is original. When Mr. Kimsey "took it over" from Mrs. Marden and did the restoration, he kept it very faithful and did a fine job. Though, when we visited there still were a few 'drips' occurring re the flat roof.

Access to the property was achieved (in our case) as follows: step one - write a note, far in advance of our trip to D.C. Step two - wait. Step three - wait some more. Step four - wait, wait, and - oh, yes - wait. Step five - tell ourselves that it isn't going to happen because time has run out before our trip to D.C. Step six - receive a phone call the night before we leave asking if we are still taking the trip and have an interest in visiting. Step seven - nearly fall over and immediately say "YESSSSSSS!". Step eight - drive up to D.C. and find the address. Step nine - Walk through a billionaire's mansion. Step ten - Have two-and-a-half wonderful hours in Marden.

See, it's just your basic ten-step program!

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: