Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Wright Building Models

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Wright Building Models Reply with quote

Hi,

My rather insane hobby is building architectural models. Recently, several aquaintances have expressed interest in purchasing copies of a Fallingwater model I've made. Does anyone know if I can legally sell these? My understanding of copyright is that buildings built prior to 1994 are not protected by copyright, and that the Pennsylvania Trust only has trademark on photos of the actual building.

Rob
pharding

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Architectural copyright can be applied to architectural works built prior to 1994, and not just photographs. I am sure that they have copyrighted the building and name. If you build one model for your own personal enjoyment I am sure that no one will care. If you produce multiple models to sell, you may have a problem.
Rob

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my dates wrong...the act that extended copyright to architecture was passed in 1990 not 1994. So buildings built before that date are not protected...which encompasses all of Wright's work built prior to 1990. See below from the copyright website.

Architectural works became subject to copyright protection on Dec. 1, 1990. The copyright law defines
MHOLUBAR

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Wright models Reply with quote

I've seen the model you made of Fallingwater and I have to say it was a very good job and a great donation to the Conservancy (in my view). I'm sure your right about the law, but this is obviously a touchy subject. If Olgivanna were still around I'm sure Taliesin would sue, maybe some sort of sponsoring arrangement could be made. We are trying to make the Weltzheimer House more popular as a site and are attempting to have a model made. There is not a lot of space to display a model in a usonian house though.
Rob

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on the size of the model, the materials, level of detail, and desired use. What did you have in mind? Maybe I could build it for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: