Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Chahroudi / Massaro residence on Petre Island
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes -- to that small degree. But as you say, some houses were "less Wright" right from the beginning.

Some would argue that a real Usonian was a bit on the flimsy side -- like a Japanese lantern, compared to a bronze and crystal chandelier ? -- so your changes would be an improvement in their eyes.

Come to coastal California, where the climate permits a lighter form of construction ! (120-yr-old houses, built without indoor "conveniences," have their retrofit plumbing waste lines displayed on the side walls like Alien decoration; roofs ready for re-shingling are seen to consist of skip-sheathing -- 1x4s placed on the rafters just where needed for nailing of the roof cover. These practices have of course been superceded. . .)

SDR
DavidC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living Wright in Lake Mahopac

David
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nyacknewsandviews.com/2014/08/franklloydwright_blauvelt/
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The golf buddies-turned-filmmakers had hoped to debut the documentary on PBS, but their marketing fee of $15,000 “is just too high,” says Massaro.

With all the money he seems to have poured into this endevour, $15K to PBS to promote an ego boosting film for a wealthy egoist was too much to pay? Later on Massaro notes he is an aggressive negotiator...

The house looks fine from a distance, and I'm sure it is a great way to experience the lake, if the fake looking stonework and too flat relief of the copper panel isn't the visual equivalent of scratching a blackboard to the observer.
MichiganBill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Massaro vs Chahroudi Reply with quote

So the discussion goes on. I worked with the predecessor to Massaro to get Chahroudi built but, of course, never came to fruition.
Everything Randolph Henning says is spot on.
It clearly was not build to Wright's plan. Where is the ladder down to the lake. Massaro didn't want it, so it was deleted.
That is enough to say NOT Wright.
SREcklund

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Massaro vs Chahroudi Reply with quote

MichiganBill wrote:
So the discussion goes on.

Actually, I'd argue that it _doesn't_, given that this article is a reprint from 2012. No one outside a small handful consider this a Wright - at best, it is "Wright-inspired" based on the limited drawings created. Changes by the owner only serve to dilute the already-limited pedigree.

Maybe I'm just prejudiced, but working with Massaro colors my perception of Heinz's work in a negative way ...

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't object on principle (or for any other reason, I guess) to the creation of an unbuilt Wright design -- especially on the originally-intended site. But the object must be a good-faith attempt at Wright's design. Massaro, even with its presumably-qualified architect, fails on several points, as mentioned. And it's much too late to take Wright's name off of it, unfortunately, try as one might; there are too many references -- online, if nowhere else -- to it as a Wright house, which it clearly attempts to be. I wonder if a future owner will attempt to correct the most obvious flaws . . .

SDR
MichiganBill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one catalog of Wright's work and It will go into its 4th edition on May 22 of this year and It does not include Massaro-Chahroudi
Craig

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how many catalogs of Wright's work are there? Wink
SREcklund

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
So how many catalogs of Wright's work are there? Wink

Personally, despite my feelings about his association with Massaro, I use Heinz's guidebook.

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
DavidC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahopac’s Frank Lloyd Wright House Back on the Market

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: