Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Jacobs-derived house: exterior treatment?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mobius

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Jacobs-derived house: exterior treatment? Reply with quote

Hi people. Our Jacobs-derived design is a few steps closer - this week it goes to the local council for "Resource Consent" - which is where we try to convince them that our design is so good that we should be allowed to break several local building rules... Wish us luck!

My original concept of using "Onduline" as an exterior cladding is now gone. http://www.onduline.co.nz/

Onduline, after much investigation and gnashing of teeth is too soft to act as a good exterior cladding: it punctures easily, and is tricky to join when installed horizontally, as we would wish to.

Anyway, I have come full circle - now the idea is to more closely match Frank's original look of Board and Batten. Actual Board and Batten is prohibitively expensive, and is thus out of the question.

We will now use: BGX

BGX is a marine-qualified wood ply product, with a rough-sawn pinus radiata finish.

It accepts stain, paint or sealant just like raw timber.

It comes in panels 2.8 x 1.2 metres in size, and we will install it horizontally, with "inter-floor" powder-coated flashings (of undecided colour) to match every 6th concrete block (20cm unit) join...

Subsequent to completion, I will install, with builders glue, the same powder-coated flashing strip, at 40cm intervals to break each panel into 3 horizontal strips of 40cm each - close to the 13" unit FLW worked with in the original Usonians.

Anyway - what recommendations do readers have for treating the rough wood finish?

I think I am inclined to do absolutely nothing to it, and simply leave it to go grey/silver as time and weather change it.

What do you think?

*Plotting to take over the world since 1965
EJ

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mobius,

Try hardiplank. I wanted a "jacobs look" for my house and this succeded handily, and affordably. It is very low maintenance, and you can paint it any color you want.

Email me at ejlaw@hotmail.com and I will send you some pictures.
Richard

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the Sikkens web site. It is a Dutch company with a long history and they have a few systems to choose from for exterior applications. I have seen some of the weathered Cypress and am not a big fan of the look. It is a furniture versus driftwood look. Also, weathering can result in splitting, cracking and delaminating as well... It also depends on how much you want to protect the work.

By the way, I used marine grade plywood on 3 garage doors and it is holding up very well after 5 years with a Sikkens finish. This may be different from the BGX. I remember that sheets of plywood had Made in France markings though. These doors get direct sunlight.

Good luck.
JimM

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting product that I see popping up is called Parklex, manufactured in Spain. fcpcusa.com

It is resin impregnated with a wood veneer surface. It does require ventilation, but it is available in various finishes and is maintenance free. May not be applicable to your use, but worth a look.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: