Jacobs-derived house: exterior treatment?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Mobius

Jacobs-derived house: exterior treatment?

Post by Mobius »

Hi people. Our Jacobs-derived design is a few steps closer - this week it goes to the local council for "Resource Consent" - which is where we try to convince them that our design is so good that we should be allowed to break several local building rules... Wish us luck!

My original concept of using "Onduline" as an exterior cladding is now gone. http://www.onduline.co.nz/

Onduline, after much investigation and gnashing of teeth is too soft to act as a good exterior cladding: it punctures easily, and is tricky to join when installed horizontally, as we would wish to.

Anyway, I have come full circle - now the idea is to more closely match Frank's original look of Board and Batten. Actual Board and Batten is prohibitively expensive, and is thus out of the question.

We will now use: BGX

BGX is a marine-qualified wood ply product, with a rough-sawn pinus radiata finish.

It accepts stain, paint or sealant just like raw timber.

It comes in panels 2.8 x 1.2 metres in size, and we will install it horizontally, with "inter-floor" powder-coated flashings (of undecided colour) to match every 6th concrete block (20cm unit) join...

Subsequent to completion, I will install, with builders glue, the same powder-coated flashing strip, at 40cm intervals to break each panel into 3 horizontal strips of 40cm each - close to the 13" unit FLW worked with in the original Usonians.

Anyway - what recommendations do readers have for treating the rough wood finish?

I think I am inclined to do absolutely nothing to it, and simply leave it to go grey/silver as time and weather change it.

What do you think?
How many escape pods are there? "NONE, SIR!" You counted them? "TWICE, SIR!"

*Plotting to take over the world since 1965

EJ

Post by EJ »

Mobius,

Try hardiplank. I wanted a "jacobs look" for my house and this succeded handily, and affordably. It is very low maintenance, and you can paint it any color you want.

Email me at ejlaw@hotmail.com and I will send you some pictures.
"It all goes to show the danger of entrusting anything spiritual to the clergy" - FLLW, on the Chicago Theological Seminary's plans to tear down the Robie House in 1957

Richard

Post by Richard »

Take a look at the Sikkens web site. It is a Dutch company with a long history and they have a few systems to choose from for exterior applications. I have seen some of the weathered Cypress and am not a big fan of the look. It is a furniture versus driftwood look. Also, weathering can result in splitting, cracking and delaminating as well... It also depends on how much you want to protect the work.

By the way, I used marine grade plywood on 3 garage doors and it is holding up very well after 5 years with a Sikkens finish. This may be different from the BGX. I remember that sheets of plywood had Made in France markings though. These doors get direct sunlight.

Good luck.
Homeowner

JimM

Post by JimM »

Another interesting product that I see popping up is called Parklex, manufactured in Spain. fcpcusa.com

It is resin impregnated with a wood veneer surface. It does require ventilation, but it is available in various finishes and is maintenance free. May not be applicable to your use, but worth a look.