Wright / New York Times

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Mark Hertzberg

Wright / New York Times

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

There is a piece about Taliesin, Monona Terrace, and SC Johnson in today's New York Times Travel section. It is regrettably full of errors (and condescending tone).

Mark Hertzberg

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/tr ... ref=travel
Mark Hertzberg

pharding

Post by pharding »

Monona Center is not a good choice if one wants to see fine architecture.
Last edited by pharding on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Paul Harding FAIA Owner and Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, the First Prairie School House in Chicago | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

Below is an assertion that really stuck in my throat.
Mark Hertzberg

Perhaps the insistent horizontality of Wright’s work was rooted in a desire to overcome the indignity of his early academic struggles — one “reads� his buildings from left to right, as opposed to up and down."
Mark Hertzberg

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Monona should be credited to Tony Putnam, for better or worse. I think Tony did the best he could considering the history of the FLW design and the late-90s requirements of the clients. It's a handsome building, but it isn't FLW.

The "Gray Lady" ain't what it used to be.

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

I mentioned Puttnam in my long note to the Times last night.

This story represents neither the writers nor the copy editors well.

Mark Hertzberg
Mark Hertzberg

RonMcCrea

Post by RonMcCrea »

Too bad she couldn't have included the Milwaukee System-Built houses and the Wyoming Valley School, maybe varied it a bit with the Louis Sullivan Bradley House in Madison and the bank in Columbus.