For sale: Robie-esque in Palos Park, IL

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

For sale: Robie-esque in Palos Park, IL

Post by DavidC »

Tom

Post by Tom »

@%#%(^(#%@#

Wes Barwick

Link

Post by Wes Barwick »

Here is the link for this property.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... source=web

Rood

Post by Rood »

With 2 1/2 acres you'd think they could find a better place for their parking lot than in front of the house. Even the Robie house looks better, though it fronts a public street.

pharding

Post by pharding »

I would put that in the same category as Massaro.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

outside in

Post by outside in »

I am baffled by projects like this - the effort that architect, builder and owner have exhibited to create a bad copy of a truly great building. Copy is a form of flattery, I know, but why would you want to live in a "fake"? There continues to be a strange undercurrent in many posts here, wherein individuals who love Wright want to build a copy for themselves, yet original Wright properties that are worth far more in terms of both economic and cultural value sit on the real estate market for months. Currently they are selling for a fraction of their REAL value. One can only hope that the true value of these homes will be realized over time. Strange.

Deke

Post by Deke »

I don't think it's strange at all. Someone likes the Robie House and wanted their own version. I'm sure they wrote a lot of checks to ensure they have exactly what they wanted. It seems an aberration to us when compared to the original, but it's perfect to the owner. Part of that perfection is that it's not on the tough south side of Chicago, but in the neighborhood of their choosing. It's not surprising that an architect...in this tough economy...was more than willing to indulge them, and builders more than willing to take on the job. The tough part for them will be to find another buyer who also wants that particular variation of Robie in that particular location.

Deke

outside in

Post by outside in »

Sorry Deke, "writing a lot of checks" doesn't justify anything, really.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The only positive thing I can say about that house is that it is better than the usual McMansion with its "cathedral ceilings, Tara staircase, spa bathroom with a mountain view and bonus room." As an expression of FLW's architecture, it is less than the calendar image of Rembrant's "The Night Watchman." (But I have a calendar Klimt in the Kitchen, "The Embrace," because I couldn't settle on a price for the original, so perhaps I'm not one to criticize.)

Deke

Post by Deke »

outside in wrote:Sorry Deke, "writing a lot of checks" doesn't justify anything, really.
Sadly, in our world, writing checks justifies everything.

pharding

Post by pharding »

I agree with Outside In's comments. In my opinion fake Frank Lloyd Wright is just like a fake Picasso. Inevitably the original is much better than the knockoff. The other issue that I have with fake Frank Lloyd Wright is that we live in a different time and technology. There are very cool strategies that an architect can use now to do something really special and appropriate that is tailored to the lives of the client.

Real Frank Lloyd Wright houses are a bargain right now. They are selling for a fraction of the replication cost and one gets something that is wonderfully authentic and culturally rare and valuable. Inevitably the knock-offs screw up the design, details, and the finishes. The originals are far better.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

Palli

Post by Palli »

Writing checks rationalizes everything. Artists should make art. Occupy.

dtc

Post by dtc »

Why would anyone build a Robie look alike but when it comes to the furnishings choose White upholstered inappropriate furnishings?
Go figure!

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Nice brick. Where is Palos Park ?

SDR