Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

SAMARA exhibit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrairieMod

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: SAMARA exhibit Reply with quote

There's a new exhibit on SAMARA that recently opened in Indiana. You can read about it at www.prairiemod.com

Has anyone visited this house? It would be nice to know how it compares to some of Wright's other USONIAN designs such as Kentuck Knob, the Penfield House, etc.
Mark Hertzberg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visted Samara two weeks ago. The house is lovely. The library exhibit is worth seeing, as well. Dr. Christian has an extensive collection, part of which is displayed in the library. I will be writing a story in a few weeks for my web site.
Thewes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Christian House Reply with quote

My visit to the house was about 6-7 years ago. It was in great shape.

I have not visited the Penfield house, but have been to Kentuck Knob on a couple of occasions.

I enjoyed Samara more than Kentuck Knob for a couple of reasons. I admit, being from Indiana and going to college there I was a little biast. The enjoyable part was that it is a work still in progress and that the original owner is there to personally guide you through the house and tell you stories along the way. My visit was not with a group. It was just my wife and I. Mr. Christian still has all the designs and when funding allows, builds on to the house. These are additions that Wright originally designed but Mr. Christian could not afford to put on originally. For example, the copper fascia and the Samara designed rug that was fairly new at that time.

There has been much more publicity since then, so I don't know if he still gives private tours. It is well worth the visit though.

There is also a very nice Louis Sullivan bank down the street that is still in use.
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Samara: Dr. John Christian Reply with quote

My visit was about 18 months ago, and all I can say is that nothing can compare with a tour of a FLW designed residence led by the original owner!

Dr. Christian was probably well into his 80's when he took us on our 2 hour tour, and I can only pray to God that I am even half as mentally sharp at that age as he is.

Although there were many highlights to the tour, I will never forget when Dr. Christian led us into a room with a portrait of his late wife, who passed away quite few years ago.

While speaking about her, and how much they enjoyed their years together in their dream home, Dr. Christian welled up with tears. Nothing could express to me any more forcefully how much they meant to each other, and how much this place impacted the time they shared there together affected their lives.

By all means, if you have the chance, take advantage of the opportunity to experience this beautiful building with the person for whom it was created, while he is still able to share his remarkable memories.

Dr. Christian and his home are a treasure not to be missed. I have toured many FLW buildings, and I feel priviledged to have had the chance to share his company.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: