Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Larkin Expo - August 5, 2006

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmahoney

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Larkin Expo - August 5, 2006 Reply with quote

This August Graycliff Conservancy will again host a Larkin Expo in a former Larkin Co. warehouse in Buffalo, N.Y. The expo will be centered at A 600,000 square foot warehouse now redeveloped into first class office space. A host of activities will be hosted including a showing of Ken Elwood's revised animation of the Larkin Administration Building. The L Co building is also the site of a museum in development interpreting the common history of Frank Lloyd Wright, Elbert Hubbard, and the Larkin Co.

For more info - http://graycliff.bfn.org/events/larkin2006.htm
JimM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reference to that pesky Larkin video..... so when is it going to be more wdely available? I'm sure it is quite an effort to have undertaken, but I have seen more than a few references to it the last few years.

I hope it isn't some special "treat" that will only be available if you are lucky enough to attend a conference or other "special" event.
pmahoney

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need to wait a while to purchase the video as licensing from the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation has been a previous stumbling block.
JimM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmahoney wrote:
You may need to wait a while to purchase the video as licensing from the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation has been a previous stumbling block.

So either the guy is driving a hard bargain or perhaps they've been too busy "inspiring" coasters and clocks at the expense of real art. At least that junk hasn't been clogging up 40 pages of eBay lately!
guestnow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Licensing Reply with quote

I'm curious where the licensing comes in. Is this out of a concern for the Foundation controlling the rights to all depictions of FLlW buildings? Or is there something from the Foundation's archives which is included in this Larkin animation that causes the licensing concern?
pmahoney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Foundation License Reply with quote

I believe the name Frank Lloyd Wright is copyrighted by the Foundation.
JimM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Foundation License Reply with quote

pmahoney wrote:
I believe the name Frank Lloyd Wright is copyrighted by the Foundation.

Unless the intention was to specifically include references to Wright as part of the project (pictures, drawings, etc), I find it hard to believe that intellectual rights and copyrights can be applied to the modeling of a demolished building they had no ownership of whatsoever.

Splash Screen: "The Larkin Building"...fade out, tour the building with dramatic music, slide show destruction photos (public domain), The End. What else do you need? Oh, yeh, white text on black background: "Designed by America's greatest architect, Frank Lincoln Wright".

Seems awful petty to me, but what else is new?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: