Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Westcott Radio Exhibit Video / Exhibit For Sale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattCline

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Westcott Radio Exhibit Video / Exhibit For Sale Reply with quote

The 1920's rotary spark gap radio exhibit that was to go in the Westcott house is now up for sale. John Westcott built and used a radio like this in the Westcott house.

For political reasons, the Westcott House Foundation reneged at the 11th hour on its agreement to have the exhibits and the radio club that built it involved with the house. Despite efforts to resolve the situation in good faith by the radio club, the Westcott House Foundation was unwilling to work with the radio club. This has created a terribly lost oportunity for the Westcott house and its visitors.

The museum-quality period exhibit is now being offered for sale. Anyone interested in it or just to see pictures of this great vintage apparatus can look it up at:

http://www.alliedinformation.com/sparkgappics/

A video of it operation is available for anyone who would like to see what visitors would have been able to experience.

Broadband / High Bandwidth Stream

www.alliedinformation.com/sparkgapvideo/SparkGapMed.asf

Dialup / Low Bandwidth Stream

www.alliedinformation.com/sparkgapvideo/SparkGapLow.asf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JimM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "political" do you mean someone just arbitrarily decided they didn't want the exhibit? I believe the Westcott house was built about 1904, and if the year of significance for the restoration predates the exhibit, I could maybe understand. Regardless, it seems it would have been a nice feature, and they could have worked it in somehow.
MattCline

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The house was built in 1907-1908 and the Westcott family lived there until the mid 1920's. The local radio club had been working for three years with Westcott House Foundation on various events for integrating possible tourism programming into the house. I was one of the original members of the Westcott board and was also one of the members of the radio club and its president. We had verbal agreements from the leadership as well as written and signed documents from the executive director AND the current board president insuring our presence at the house and with tourism.

However, like many others fed up with various issues of board incompetence and conflicts of interest, I left the Westcott board and as soon as the first executive director left (after having been there less than a year), the board claimed they knew little of our club's activities and nothing of any agreements. Their dismal of their own agreements is scandalous. If you want to see the documents they signed, you are free to do so at:

http://www.alliedinformation.com/w8aga/

I was one of the people that originally worked on the house before there was a Westcott House Foundation. I was working with the FLWBC's involvement and was on the Westcott board for a while. After that, I was the site manager for the project. I know this project, its politics and the house inside and out. Without getting into specifics, I can assure you, there was no opportunity for reconciliation.

I would not encourage anyone to support the Westcott House Foundation (financially or otherwise) under its current board and its leadership.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JimM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really too bad. Yes, I remember Matt. Well before the Conservancy stepped in, awareness of the house's plight was largely due to your advocacy, obvious to many who followed events from the beginning.

It must be tough to have invested so much and to be treated as you have. There is often an elitist and arrogant mindset in these restoration projects and their management, so it's not surprising what you have experienced. "Professionals" and committees step in after the hero's, enthusiasist's and craftsman have done their jobs. No one asked to see your resume before your volunteered involvement and efforts, I'm sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: