Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

New Urbanism: Influenced by Wright?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erban

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: New Urbanism: Influenced by Wright? Reply with quote

I did a posting this evening on www.prairiemod.com about the Middleton Hills development. You can view it here: http://prairiemod.typepad.com/prairiemod/2006/03/a_place_where_t.html

I'm fascinated by this concept of combating urban sprawl and have often fantasized about Wright's Broadacre City, but I am not convinced by the New Urbanist's approach. I've been to Middleton Hills in Wisconsin and Disney's Celebration in Florida. There is also another New Urbanist community I've visited in Franklin, TN called Westhaven. All of these places sound wonderful in theory, but I'm not sure they make much sense at all. I've found them to be another extension of urban sprawl, not an answer to it. Also, with Middleton Hills....the sound of Craftsman, Bungalow and Prairie style homes everywhere give me goose bumps. However, when I was there...it just seemed like they weren't the real deal.

Does anyone have other thoughts similar to mine? Does anyone think differently? Do we have any residents of New Urbanist communities?

Last edited by erban on Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLW would howl with pain at the sight of this suburb. The houses are antiseptic, the landscaping is prosaic (FLW never specified base planting). Braodacre City it ain't.
erban

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeap, this is how I'm feeling as well.
NickSpellman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: New Urbanism Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more. Looks like a host of other urban subdivisions. Erdman would have been better off dusting off the Wright prefabs for this venture [but even that wouldn't have solved the siting or landscape issues]!
Jason

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live very near a number these communities, and not far from Middleton Hills itself. I'm in complete agreement with Mr. Grant.

Some of the homes are indeed very nice homes, but you have to go to a community space down the road before you'll find a tree that actually provides some shade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: