R.I.P. Edgar Tafel 1912-2011

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
rightwaswright

R.I.P. Edgar Tafel 1912-2011

Post by rightwaswright »

Thought I'd change the header in recognition of the recent sad news.

Edgar Tafel's 99th Birthday Approaching
Coming up on March 4, 2011.

Hope he's in good spirits and good health.
Last edited by rightwaswright on Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Really -- do we have him still ?

I so appreciate his pioneering, both as a Wright apprentice, and as a chronicler of his time and experience at Taliesin.

For him to be here today, nearly a century and a half from Wright's birth, is wonderful.

Stephen

m.perrino

Post by m.perrino »

I recall purchasing " Apprentice to Genius" at Koch & Brentano's in Oak Park, IL around 1979. Because of it's personal tone it presented the human side of FLW and the development of the Fellowship. There was nothing else like it and Edgar Tafel's story became the kindling that has fueled an interest and passion for 32+ years.

SDR

Post by SDR »

That book, and his later "About Wright" (in which others who knew and/or worked worked with Mr Wright give us their reminiscences), offer invaluable and (by now) irreplaceable insight -- grand and intimate, by turns -- into the man and his institution.

S D R

dleach

Post by dleach »

I always thought that his writing had a genuine and self-effacing quality to it that was not always present in the memoirs of those who were close to Mr. Wright.

Don

SDR

Post by SDR »

I agree. In this regard his fellow apprentice Curtis Besinger is in the same league -- his book "Working With Mr Wright" has a similar tone.

S D R

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Don't forget "Tales of Taliesin" by Cornelia Brierly.

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

I just got word Edgar Tafel has passed away, Tuesday January 18,2011
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nytime ... ed86f7%2C1
Last edited by Jeff Myers on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAT
Jeff T

peterm

Post by peterm »

R.I.P. Mr. Tafel.

BBuck

Post by BBuck »

This is indeed sad news. My father was born the year after Edgar Tafel came to be. What this generation dreamed, created, experienced and survived in their lifetime is nothing short of an epic story. We will miss these chapters as time goes on. I hope we don't forget them as they are worth re-telling again and again. This is of course why we are all here. Large legacies continue to be a challenge to match.

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

Another sad bit of information for the Frank Lloyd Wright community. First the news earlier today about Robert Leary, and now this. Unlike Mr. Leary, who taken in the prime of his life, Edgar Tafel did have the benefit of living a very long and full life. And what a life it must have been!

Thank you for all your contributions to making our built world a more beautiful place, Mr. Tafel. You have certainly left your mark here, and though you are now gone from our midst, you will not soon be forgotten.

SDR

Post by SDR »

A rewarding way to pay one's respects would be to sit down to one of his books. These are volumes that repay a re-reading, as well. Patronize your local bookstore -- or if that isn't possible, here's the cheap and easy alternative:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=i%3A ... fel&page=1

S D R

hypnoraygun

Post by hypnoraygun »

This is very sad news.

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

Edgar's cousin tells me that he died a peaceful death at home. I have posted a tribute and photos to wrightinracine.com

Mark Hertzberg
Mark Hertzberg

DavidC

Post by DavidC »