Usonia in Westchester

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Linda Granowetter MD

Usonia in Westchester

Post by Linda Granowetter MD »

My husband and I recently purchased a house built in 1950, the architect was David Henken- the Frank Lloyd Wright student/asscociate. The house is about 15 minutes north of the pleasantville, NY Usonian community. Our house clearly is similar to some of the Henken-FLW Pleasantville homes. Unlike the Pleasantville site, this house is on 9 acres in the midst of 140 acres of protected land--New York State Water authority and Westchester County preserved land.

I cannot find out any information on the history of this house- is there any way you might be able to put me in touch with someone who knows the history? For whom was it built? Are there any original plans available? Given the proximity and similarity to the Pleasantville Usonian community homes- is there any connection?[/b]

rgrant

Post by rgrant »

One of the Pleasantville houses that Henken designed is still owned by the original clients. Perhaps they know where Henken's files can be located. Or you might try Roland Reisley, who wrote the book on Pleasantville.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

You could probably get a client's name from the records of the applicable building department (unless they've destroyed the records).

Other sources that might be useful are a local historical society or a local or state Society of Architectural Historians or American Institute or Architects.

pharding

Post by pharding »

You could also do a title search.

Original plans will be extremely difficult to find. Typically the building department would not have retained them for a house built in the early fifties.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

Post by Guest »

Linda, I think I know which house you own. Is this the one where you drive to your house on a dirt road.....the lake directly to your left...and then you make a right turn into your long driveway? I recall there was a garage of some sort below the main house on the left side of the driveway. The driveway comes to an end at the house. There is a side door/entrace. But you have to walk around on the right and up steps to get to the front door. I also recall a large filedstone wall that gives the appearance of splitting the house in half. Is this the house?

lgranowe

Post by lgranowe »

Posted DEc 15 2005, Guest

Yes, that is my house. Do you have any information.

thanks
LG