Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Usonia in Westchester

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda Granowetter MD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Usonia in Westchester Reply with quote

My husband and I recently purchased a house built in 1950, the architect was David Henken- the Frank Lloyd Wright student/asscociate. The house is about 15 minutes north of the pleasantville, NY Usonian community. Our house clearly is similar to some of the Henken-FLW Pleasantville homes. Unlike the Pleasantville site, this house is on 9 acres in the midst of 140 acres of protected land--New York State Water authority and Westchester County preserved land.

I cannot find out any information on the history of this house- is there any way you might be able to put me in touch with someone who knows the history? For whom was it built? Are there any original plans available? Given the proximity and similarity to the Pleasantville Usonian community homes- is there any connection?[/b]
rgrant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the Pleasantville houses that Henken designed is still owned by the original clients. Perhaps they know where Henken's files can be located. Or you might try Roland Reisley, who wrote the book on Pleasantville.
Reidy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably get a client's name from the records of the applicable building department (unless they've destroyed the records).

Other sources that might be useful are a local historical society or a local or state Society of Architectural Historians or American Institute or Architects.
pharding

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also do a title search.

Original plans will be extremely difficult to find. Typically the building department would not have retained them for a house built in the early fifties.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda, I think I know which house you own. Is this the one where you drive to your house on a dirt road.....the lake directly to your left...and then you make a right turn into your long driveway? I recall there was a garage of some sort below the main house on the left side of the driveway. The driveway comes to an end at the house. There is a side door/entrace. But you have to walk around on the right and up steps to get to the front door. I also recall a large filedstone wall that gives the appearance of splitting the house in half. Is this the house?
lgranowe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted DEc 15 2005, Guest

Yes, that is my house. Do you have any information.

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: