Need ideas for magazine peice

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
navybean

Need ideas for magazine peice

Post by navybean »

For my graduate magazine writing class at Northwestern, I'm wanting to write on FLW but of course need a fresh angle. Better yet, something new that's happening. I only have two weeks to put together 2,500 words. So far I'm interested in Wright homeowners who've tried to revoke their historic designation status. (There's a case going on now in Fort Wayne, Ind.)

I'm also hoping to get this published somewhere.

Does anyone have any ideas?
My cell is 502-500-2097.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

This is not a two-week project, but you might find interesting material in a study of the culture of docents / volunteers at Wright buildings. Some are there out of interest in Wright, others out of affection for a neighborhood and its history, others simply to get out and circulate. Some stay for months, others for decades. Some are interested in the politics of the organization, serving on committees or running for office, while others just show up and give their tours.

John

Wright

Post by John »

Wright used the abbreviation "FLlW" in his red tiles, not FLW.
I believe it was part of his Welsh heritage.

D. Shawn Beckwith

magazine article

Post by D. Shawn Beckwith »

What comes to mind for me is FLW pushed the envelope on how the buildings were designed with modern ( for the time) elements to push his "art" foward.
Well at Westcott we installed Geothermal systems ..new progressive efficient and no outside units maring beauty of building and Unity Temple also installed a Geothermal system probably for many of the same reasons for its restoration.
Best of luck in what you choose.

SDR

Post by SDR »

(Actually, the tiles say FLLW. . .)

John

FLlW

Post by John »

So they do. But in the story illustrated here, it's Frank Lloyd Wright.
Isn't that Welsh?
Should it be FLLW? Is FLW OK? That's what many seem to use.
Perhaps that's a subject for an inquiry. Or not.
Perhaps it's just like defining Cherokee Red.

egads

Post by egads »

He was to be addressed as Mr Wright!

Deke

Post by Deke »

Sorry, but there is no new angle about Wright. Every angle has been covered several times.

Deke

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

"Ll" is the abbreviation for "Lloyd" as "Wm" is for "William," "Th" for "Thomas" and "Llw" for "Llewellyn". FLW using two capital Ls was just a matter of style.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Correct. And, since it was the style he used repeatedly, I assume that it is the correct monogram to use -- in the same way that we prefer to use Edgar Kaufmann's lower-case jr., in keeping with his own preference ?

RonMcCrea

Post by RonMcCrea »

As an old Medill hand, I'm happy to play assigning editor. Here are two ideas:

1. This summer marks the 100th anniversary of Wright and Mamah Borthwick Cheney's sojourn together in Fiesole, Italy, above Florence. You could revisit that experience (see "In Exile" in the Autobiography) and describe their dolce vita on the hillside, which Wright translated one year later into the design of Taliesin, which will celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2011. Neil Levine does a great job of describing the Italian take-away in his "Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright." You could make it a travel piece comparing Taliesin to Fiesole. Taliesin now has American Players Theatre in its back yard; Fiesole has a fabulous Roman and Etruscan park with an amphitheater that seats 3,000 and is used for festivals. (The park appears in a scene from the film "Tea With Mussolini," with Lily Tomlin as an archaeologist.) You can find postcard views of Fiesole around 1910 on eBay, and the Taylor Woolley photo collection at the University of Utah's Marriott Library has scenes from the time and place where Wright and Cheney (and Woolley) lived.

2. Who owns the view at Taliesin and Taliesin West? One of the things that make's Wisconsin's Taliesin special is that it still has the same pure countryside around it as when it was built. Levine says Taliesin is more like a scenic outlook than a house -- a place more to be looked from than looked at. That makes the natural context criticak. Who secured the "view shed?" Can it remain secure?

Now compare it with Taliesin West, where Wright sought to build way out in the desert, away from everything. Scottsdale has sprawled out all the way to the foot of McDowell Mountain. How different is the experience?