Architecture in the Age of Gehry

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Well, on the bright side, you'll have a chance to see a new Gehry building up close and personal (as they say). Maybe there'll be a pleasant surprise ? Stranger things have happened.

Or maybe you've seen the advance "artist's rendering" already, and there's no hope . . .

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

There are, indeed, drawings published in AR. Not promising. I have had direct contact with Gehry in 4 buildings. Two early buildings in my neighborhood, Danziger and Faith Plating (demolished) were expertly done; two late buildings, Disney and Wiseman, suggest to me that he and his computer-savvy minions should not be practicing architecture.

I recall radio in the old days, with vacuum tubes. Listening to "An die Freude" with the inevitable static was not satisfying. Gehry's architecture is like radio static without the Freude.

jay

Post by jay »

If there's one thing truly positive about Gehry's work, it's that his public buildings seem to vividly convey that architecture can be vastly more expressive than conventional buildings. Surely, for architecturally-minded people, this is no revelation. But for people who don't have much interest in architecture, I'd bet that simply seeing a Gehry building might give them a small moment of contemplation. They might not like the work, might even find it offensive, but at last, Frank Gehry made them think about architecture for a nanosecond.

I've only been in one Gehry building, the EMP in Seattle. As a music museum, it was interesting to compare it to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame building, by I.M. Pei, which I'd also visited maybe a year before... The Gehry building seemed far more appropriate to the spirit of musical creativity, while the R&RHoF just felt cold to me.

I also think this apartment he did is pretty neat:
https://www.dwell.com/article/peek-insi ... r-79546ef8

SDR

Post by SDR »

One looks a long way back over one's shoulder, to the young Erich Mendelsohn, to see the kind of Expressionist work that Gehry appears to aspire to.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

And then, there's always Ronchamp . . .

S

steffanronan

Post by steffanronan »

Thank you for sharing such an informative thread, It will really helpful for people.

Residential Architects Oakland County Michigan