Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Architecture in the Age of Gehry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unbrook

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Frank Gehry Reply with quote

I don't think we can or should just write Mr. Gehry off. I will disagree with a previous poster and speak with a certain fondness about the Loyola campus. It is very much a public square with the various buildings arranged around it. Remember that it is rather early Gehry and does create a sense of a communal setting in a rather rough looking urban area. I found his early projects to be great fodder for my young (then) mind-- i.e. his own house. And then there was the metal structure he designed for the National Building Museum in D.C. It was certainly exciting to see it within 1870's historic building. We have a certain fondness for him in the Cleveland area. The late Peter B. Lewis (Progressive Insurance) was a great patron for Gehry, and succeeded in having him design the Weatherhead School of Management building for the Case Western Reserve University campus, A fascinating building as you walk around the area. Gehry conceived of the lecture halls as pods with the interior space and I find an excitement in walking through the building.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an apologist for Mr Gehry; I think I can say I'm neutral toward, and largely uninterested in, his work.

If one believes in judging a man and his work after getting to know him, and it, then research is in order. As such, I found the video posted earlier to be a useful introduction. I wonder how many here took the time to watch it.

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the Gehry TED video, and I have heard him speak on other occasions. I've actually enjoyed hearing Gehry speak, there is no doubt that he is creative, engaging (at least as a speaker), and he has a genuine love of architecture and design. I just don't like most of his work.

I have visited two of his constructions: his design gallery at the Vitra furniture factory in Weil am Rein, and his building at Case Western in Cleveland.

The Vitra gallery:
https://www.google.com/search?q=vitra+weil+am+rhein+gehry&rlz=1T4LENN_enUS619US619&biw=1251&bih=712&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMI08yRhM6DyQIVQzU-Ch3GbwD_

was a sculpture in a garden, and as such was interesting as an object, but odd as a building. The spaces within were lacking any sense of order or hierarchy and moving through the gallery was a confusing, disorienting, and ultimately, maddening experience. Tadao Endo's serene building nearby was a welcome respite:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vitra+weil+am+rhein+endo&rlz=1T4LENN_enUS619US619&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMI6Jr_wM-DyQIVylk-Ch1pWQmi&biw=1251&bih=712#tbm=isch&q=vitra+weil+am+rhein+tadao+endo

The building at Case Western:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gehry+case+western&rlz=1T4LENN_enUS619US619&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMI_pnQqNODyQIVCjU-Ch2FJgk-&biw=1251&bih=712

is most often photographed close in, with no surrounding context. Visiting the site gave me a probable answer: it looks like a dissonant pile of brick and shiny metal amid what is otherwise an ordered and quite beautiful collection of buildings of many styles that coalesce into a cohesive whole, aka a campus. Some may find the spaces within exciting, but they just seemed jarring to point of violence, and residual, which is to say merely the result of the exterior gesturing.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting attempt by Gehry is the Frederick R. Weisman Museum of Art (1993)on the Univ. of Minnesota campus, a modest rehearsal for Bilbao. The bulk of the building (though you might not see it in published photos which concentrate on the mangled end) is a rectilinear brick box. At the north end, next to the Washington Ave. bridge, the exterior takes on his signature shrapnel look, but for the most part, it is a prosaic, dumb box that turns its back on everything, the deco student union and the river. You might think you were inside a completely different building. All the jazzy jumble on the exterior is mere applique, not wasted on the south end where few would ever see it. It is egregious and unattractive.

Gehry has/had talent, as expressed in his 1965 Danziger Studio. But his current work is what FLW might call "Fad and Fancy."

Tadao Ando, there's another subject altogether! The Anti-Gehry.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one I dislike: http://newyorkbygehry.com

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks as if it was left out in the rain too long and shriveled.

Interesting that these apartments are actually rentals...either that, or they are condos owned by speculators and leased by a building management company. The detail photos are the same for each unit type...I would have expected different photos for each type at these prices. The basic unit plans seem rather pedestrian except for where the skin dictates otherwise...I suppose there are limitations to skinning this type of cat.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to see one of these "wrinkled" or randomly scalloped towers that I like looking at -- several architects have tried it. But this one is especially artless, as I see it.

SDR
Unbrook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Gehry Reply with quote

The original design for the CWRU management building was meant to have a larger footprint and
Unbrook

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Gehry Reply with quote

My apologies for my unfinished post-I blame my fat fingers.

The Management School building at Case Western Reserve University was originally planned to occupy a larger footprint, but the size was changed after the initial prospectus. The thinking was that other university buildings would be constructed next to it. The adjacent property currently has the now abandoned Cleveland Institute of Art school building on it, but that property has been sold to the museum, so it will be interesting to see what develops. The best views of the building are not from the street, but as you see it in relation to the other building in the area. My favorite view is from the new building of the Cleveland Museum of Art.

Gehry does have a rather special place in Cleveland due to his relationship with Peter B. Lewis. the CEO of Progressive Insurance. He designed a house for Lewis and an office building to be built in downtown Cleveland (Neither were built). I sat in on a conversation between him and Mr. Lewis -artist and patron which proved to be an entertaining evening.

The interior space of the Gehry building is quite interesting. Gehry conceived of the lecture halls as "pods" and they exist as elements within the larger space. The interior walls reflect his "fish scale" motif, so the space becomes quite animated.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gehry says that his Disney Hall interior was conceived as a "wooden boat" within the metallic and masonry shell. It's seen as a successful auditorium, as I understand it. But I haven't read everything that's been written . . .

Perhaps Mr Gehry talks a good game ? Most entrepreneurs do.

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amid a continuing ed article in the November 2015 issue of Architectural Record (pp.158-164), about "innovations" in brick, Gehry's University of Technology Sydney is discussed. The article notes a source of inspiration for the undulating brick skin was "the flowing robes in Renaissance sculpture"..........this for the façade cladding of a technology school half a world away in the southern hemisphere in the 21st century.

(exclaimed with Lewis Black-esque agitation)
Talks a good game? Frank O. Gehry must be the supreme bulls hitter of the seven continents to sell that to a client!
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9 Things You Didn't Know About Frank Gehry

David
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#5: "Much of his strongest work came before Bilbao."
With this, I agree, but would add "long" between came and before.

The book sounds like an apologia.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope that, fifty years from now, no one looks back on this time as the "age of Gehry" . . . !

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that this subject hasn't been beaten to death, the Nov. AR reports a long-rumored Frank Gehry project to be located on the site of the Garden of Allah Hotel, the famed playground of the rich and famous in the 1920s on Sunset at Crescent Heights, will be constructed by 2017, even though the current resident, Chase Bank, has just signed a 5-year lease on the late 50s building currently standing on the property (just next door to another formerly famous gathering place: Pandora's Box). That another Gehry crumpled cliché is being constructed is not news in itself, but it is in my neighborhood. I often walk by the place and bank there. We don't need another bunch of highly overpriced condos and boutique shops in the area, especially an example of a fading fad, violating the late 20s charm of the quiet residential neighborhood. I feel it's about time to write a scathing placard and organize a march!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: