Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Architecture in the Age of Gehry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the subject of Gehry:

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/06/frank_gehry_now_getting_ideas_from_simpsons_jokes_about_him.php

Gives new meaning to the term "Paper Architecture"...
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Simpson watchers and many others have been exposed, in various ways, to the work of the Devil. "The Simpsons" animated series (celebrating its 25th season) has repeatedly demonstrated awareness of significant modernist architecture. An early example was the episode featuring the voice of Danny DeVito as the auto-magnate lost brother of Homer S; bro's home base is a mansion clearly modeled upon Wright's unbuilt McCormick project.

Perhaps it's time to look at what's happening in "art architecture" (Wright's field, surely ?) at the present moment. One relevant survey might be the ongoing series of pavilions, one per year since the first year of the Milleneum, on a site in central London. ("Established in 1970 and housed in a classical 1934 tea pavilion, [the Gallery] takes its name from the nearby Serpentine Lake")

Here's this year's presentation: http://archinect.com/news/article/49782420/serpentine-gallery-opens-pavilion-without-ai-weiwei

Interested readers may find the previous erections here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpentine_Gallery

Frank Gehry's concoction appeared in 2008. There is extensive video footage of the construction procedure to be found on the Web.

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:
Quote:
Gehry and others are perhaps intentionally provocative; I don't believe that can be said of Richard Rogers, Sir Norman Foster, or Renzo Piano.

Maybe so, but whenever I see Foster's "Gherkin" building, I can't help but hear a Tim Curry song about a zucchini in my head:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v5822449wfP4atMK
therman7g

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: The Simpsons Architecture Reply with quote

SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, therman. I don't recall seeing this image in a Simpson's episode -- I must have missed that one. Can you tell us anything about the context for this clear homage to the Guggenheim, in it's suburban or rural setting ?

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You say to a brick, 'What do you want, brick?' And brick says to you, 'I like an arch.' And you say to brick, 'Look, I want one, too, but arches are expensive and I can use a concrete lintel.' And then you say: 'What do you think of that, brick?' Brick says: 'I like an arch.' - Louis Kahn

Mr. Gehry, the master of crumpled metal applique, completed a brick clad building at the University of Technology in Sydney:

https://www.google.com/search?q=university+of+technology+sydney+gehry&rlz=1T4LENN_enUS619US619&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMIhIicwZnyyAIVB_I-Ch0bwA9-&biw=1258&bih=712

In the nature of materials?
If rendered in his usual metal panels, this might be appropriate as a corporate office for the Maaco auto body repair franchise.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding insult to injury, the texture is repulsive, too.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may take another 20 years or so, but eventually people will look at Gehry's crumpled work and wonder what all the fuss was about. It will look as outdated as Graves' Portland Building. When Disney Hall inevitably needs expansion or remodeling, its shrapnel will be blithely stripped and the interiors redone to meet new standards. Meanwhile, the 1964 Danziger Studio that Gehry designed early in his career will be considered a classic, and his remodeling for Faith Plating, which was recently demolished to make way for huge apartment buildings of no architectural consequence at all, will be noted in one of those "Lost L. A." books. Like Edward Durrell Stone, Gehry started out with something to say, and got tired of not making enough money, so he went weird.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We spend a lot of time trying to understand Frank Lloyd Wright in hopes of learning where his art comes from. I think we could accord any successful architect the same respect; it isn't possible to know what to make of the later work of an artist without knowing where he started, and what he did along the way -- is it ? No designer's life work can be encapsulated in one or two of his structures.

Here's a TED talk that Frank Gehry gave in 1990. (I hadn't been aware that the TED forum went back that far . . . but no matter.) In recent years Gehry has stressed his early contact and friendship with certain well-known LA-area artists. I think it is safe to say that he represents an artist's approach to architecture. Half-way through this lecture he even uses the dreaded S-word in connection with a building . . .

https://www.ted.com/talks/frank_gehry_as_a_young_rebel?language=en#t-1022064

I think one thing that could be said about Gehry's work is that, while he is interested in the exterior form and the interior experience, he doesn't feel the need to have those two aspects of a building be intimately related -- which is, of course, a basic tenet of most architect's understanding of what good building is. Whether Gehry's forms are appealing is a whole other kettle of fish -- of course.

SDR
DavidC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gehry = Self-indulgent Barf-itecture

David

Last edited by DavidC on Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wrighter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the looks of this new building, but I haven't experienced enough of Gehry's interiors to form an informed opinion in general.

I have seen his work in Chicago's Millennium park, though. The bridge is sublime. I love the lightness of the canopy in front of the stage. The billowing forms of the bandstand work metaphorically as a framing curtain, perhaps better there than anywhere else in his work. So I do like those structures.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The irony could not be lost upon disinterested observers here, that the work of Mr Wright and of Mr Gehry, as dissimilar as each is to the other, belongs in the "art wing" of an imaginary World Museum of Architecture.

In their separate ways, both men have declared themselves as "artist" architects. We don't have this declaration from Alvar Aalto, or Eero Saarinen, or Paul Rudolph or Jean Nouvel or Santiago Calatrava or Peter Zumthor or Zaha Hadid -- do we ? Who is an artist among these architects ? All of them ? Some of them ? None of them ?

What makes an architect an artist ? Must he claim it, or acknowledge it -- or refute it -- before it is taken as fact ? Can only a Post-Post-war practitioner assume the mantle of Starchitect ? And is Wright really the Old Man among them all ?

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true that Gehry finds inspiration from artists more than architecture itself. Here he's riffing on Tapio Virkalla's pop art paper bag sculptures for Rosenthal. A paper bag made from brick? (And remember Gehry's 1970s cardboard furniture...)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/232509857/paper-bag-vase-designed-1977-by-the?ref=market

Contemporary art is not afraid of "ugliness". Is Gehry intentionally doing the same? The fenestration is remarkable in that regard!
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of Gehry's charms, if any, is his wit; he's well aware of risking his reputation for the sake of a gag, from time to time -- at least he was c. 1990, when that talk was recorded -- and says that when he started using sheet metal in the work he intentionally specified a lighter gauge so that the material would buckle visibly, and that his work with cut-and-butt finish carpentry and chain link was a response to the level of craft he found available to him then, and to the context within which he built.

I encourage one to watch the video. Early work on Disney Hall is shown and discussed, and the way that Gehry and Stanley Tigerman -- who got him the job, apparently -- toyed with each other (by fax, for a period of months) over placement of a Tigerman "cameo" structure amidst the Gehry-designed Herman Miller Sacramento campus, is amusing and instructive.

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loyola is underwhelming. Like PoMo, Gehry's work is more intriguing in illustration than reality. Disney is the same. The plan of Disney is little more than a tired box. Then, extruded through a computer program, which Gehry had done for him, he being tech-challenged, the odd fanciness evolved.

If FLW had been called a "Starchitect," he would have balked. Starchitects are to architecture what Kim Kardashian is to Show Business. Gehry is a Starchitect. But not so much Kim Kardashian as Zsa Zsa Gabor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: