Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

1997 Dream House at Nakoma Golf Resort in CA Sierra for sale
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken G

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: 1997 Dream House at Nakoma Golf Resort in CA Sierra for sale Reply with quote

We built the 1997 Dream House in Gold Mountain CA, in the Sierra, in 2001. It's the perfect entertainmen home for use, especially as it's situated along the 16th fairway of the Nakoma Golf Resort (designed by Wright originally to be built in Wisconsin).

Recently we expanded the home to include an art studio and a large walk-in closer in master suite, which also enabled us to expand the master bath to a full size 'spa' bathroom.

We're currently offering the home for sale. Google over to "goldmountainhome" for details.
Michael Shuck

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: John Rattenbury Life Dream House 1997 Reply with quote

Ken,
Just for the sake of clarity, is this 1997 Life Dream House the same or a different house than Peggy Garner's LDH? From the looks of it, it does appear to have some differences, but as anyone can see, it is a beautiful home. I know Peggy collaborated with John Rattenbury and LIFE in the building of the first 1997 LDH, and at one time she owned most or all of the Nakoma Resort. I'm a bit unclear as to whether this is the one and same home or another one in that area? I was in the area in 2006 and it is absolutely a beautiful, awesome place. I'd love to live there!
Mike
Ken G

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My home is an enhanced version of the original. When first built in 2002, we converted the third bedroom towards the rear to a game room / wet bar overlooking the back deck, which was extended to the full length of the home. We also made a number of changes, like 8' exterior doors. Both bathrooms feature "spa" tubs. About 18 months ago, we expanded the home to add an art studio, occupying a portion of the read deck and overlooking the 16th fairway, and a very large walk-in closet for the master suite. Total home size is now just over 3000 sq ft.

The Garners mis-managed the Nakoma Resort and it went into bankruptcy some years ago. It now has a new owner, the same organization that owns the nearby Feather River Inn, itself undergoing massive renovation. There is tremendous synergy between the two, with the Inn providing plentiful lodging, performing arts theatre, large restaurant, and more ... including a 9 hole par 3 golf course. Of course, the Nakoma is a full size 18 hole course. (BTW, FLW designed the Nakoma back in the 30's I believed, and this is the first time it was built).

You can learn more at www.goldmountainhome.com. In the coming days, there will be a link to a virtual tour of the home, so you can see it all.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wright, Nakoma, 1924

MathewOkeeffe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow

I must say it is beautiful and perfectly located.

I came here from the 3 week diet system from https://skinnyexpress.com/the-3-week-diet-review because I think this will be a good add-on.

Last edited by MathewOkeeffe on Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
Michael Shuck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Nakoma Photos from my trip to Eagle Mountain 2006 Reply with quote

Eagle Mountain Nakoma 7 by Michael Shuck, on Flickr

Eagle Mountain 6 by Michael Shuck, on Flickr

Eagle Mountain Nakoma 4 by Michael Shuck, on Flickr

Eagle Mountain Nakoma 3 by Michael Shuck, on Flickr

Eagle Mountain Nakoma 2 by Michael Shuck, on Flickr

Eagle Mountain Nakoma 1 by Michael Shuck, on Flickr
FTA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting these, Mike. ;-)
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful. The best views we've seen yet.

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael for sharing your pics.

Was Schindler with Wright in 1924? The wrapped parallel patterning of the wood shingles, siding and trim "feel" Schindler-esqe.

My only criticism with the built product as shown would be that the conversion of the tall skinny sidelights next to the french doors in Wright's North Elevation, to the wide, punched hole windows above the benches in the pic posted by SDR seem dissonant with respect to the rest of the windows. Otherwise, the building looks pleasing and at home in the woods.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The siding in photos #1 and #2 reminds me of Lloyd's Taggart House.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRN, those huge windows are terrible. FLW never catered to the view in a way that damaged the architecture. It would be a relatively easy fix and should be done. Otherwise the building is very handsome. Although I seem to recall on an earlier post showing interior shots that the woodwork left something to be desired. Polyurethane gives wood a glossiness that is un-Wrightlike.

Paul, the siding also calls to mind the Second Gladney Project.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gladney II

Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR,
I have never seen that house before. What was the year it was designed and what book did you find the image in?

The roof looks like Marion Mahony's influence.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's Gladney I, as published in "FLLW: Three-quarters of a Century of Drawings."

The colored illustration above is from one of the FLLW calendars of some years back. Both projects are dated 1925.

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where that roof was first seen.

Everyone in Wright's circle seems to have been playing with the parallel-boards-mitered riff, in the 'twenties;
here's Lloyd (1922) and Schindler (1923):

Taggart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: