"Folly House" by John Howe

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DRN

Post by DRN »

Royston is a great little composition...I have been in communication with the current owner of the Royston Cottage for a few years. He has a full set of Howe's drawings and is doing his best to be faithful to the original design intent and built conditions of the Cottage and Howe's 1974 gallery addition.

All of the built-in furniture has been retained for restoration. Most of the moveable furniture and some built-ins were in fact made by George Nakashima under a commission from the Roystons. All of the Nakashima pieces were removed and sold by Mrs. Royston's estate in 2010 prior to the sale of the Cottage.
https://www.bidsquare.com/online-auctio ... et-1152792

To my knowledge, the uphill development is not related to the Royston Cottage, nor is it the work of the cottage's owner.

Daniel Dominique Watts

John Howe - Royston vs. Inwood

Post by Daniel Dominique Watts »

Yes SDR, I wrote 2 comments on that page you sent link for.
I did visual comparison contract in my notes as well. The Royston "base home" w/out artist studio added onto it is basically the INWOOD plan enlarged a bit and "flipped" as you enter bedroom up steps on opposite side (see plans on page you linked) and the bedroom plan as well flipped. Honestly the Inwood plan is really really intimate and feels fantastic.

I do believe it is built on the same site that Wright had built a small home for his Aunt Nell (cabin) that I did research on. Wright finally was able to purchase the site in early 1950s and as he said finally able to tear it down.
It was built /designed by Wright when he was working with Silsbee at Spring Green prior to going to Chicago. Done around same time as the School for his Aunt Nell & her sister & the Chapel.

The kitchen & "bar" wall separating kitchen from living room is almost identical. A 3/4 ht. wall is for part of it with high shelf at top of wall and lower countertop. This is where the silver, glasswear, french wine bottles were all stored inside of Royston home. I took 2 photos inside & 2 from outside glass windows. Only the fireplace at INWOOD more rustic stone vs. the refined 3"-4" thick flagstone stacked at Royston against thin CMU block internal walls. Howe used CMU block construction inside walls with veneer of stone w/airspace outside on wall & thin 1"x2" slats on inside of block wall to add plywood veneers to for inside finished walls. This was able to be seen inside the open Bedroom wardrobe closet thru windows as well. The exterior construction of wall cavity I photographed as 1 veneer stone had fallen out of the prow end of LR patio wall on east side of it. I took 2 or 3 photos of it at time.

While Royston a bit larger as you can see, the LR feels like it could hold over 40-50 people in it with being comfortable. Has built-in corner unit to south of the fireplace against outer wall. Fireplace is as well scaled larger than at Inwood. I do prefer rustic fireplace at Inwood & scale of the Royston bedroom/bathroom and kitchen/bar area. Both are great homes.

DRN

Post by DRN »

I do believe it is built on the same site that Wright had built a small home for his Aunt Nell (cabin) that I did research on. Wright finally was able to purchase the site in early 1950s and as he said finally able to tear it down.
It was built /designed by Wright when he was working with Silsbee at Spring Green prior to going to Chicago. Done around same time as the School for his Aunt Nell & her sister & the Chapel.
I was under the impression that Inwood was constructed on land the Howe’s acquired from Wes Peters. I was unaware of a cabin for Aunt Nell designed by young Frank... Please share with us what you’ve learned about it. Are there any extant photos or drawings? The site is visible when looking out from Taliesin....was Wright wanting to remove an early and unsightly (to him) bit of his canon as he had with the early Hillside Home School Building?