"Folly House" by John Howe

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Wrightgeek

"Folly House" by John Howe

Post by Wrightgeek »

Found this blog post on the the web, and found it interesting and worth sharing here. Does anyone know more about the history of this project? Or the exact location of this house in PA?

http://www.furiousdreams.com/blog/?p=6882

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks -- nice to see good (exterior) photos of this little mystery building.

Don't know what to make of this:

"Folly Cottage was designed in the 1920’s for Wright’s daughter, who was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident before he could build it for her as intended, in Arizona."

SDR

JimM

Post by JimM »

It doesn't look "Wright" to me. Definitely Howe, perhaps, and very similar to his own home near Taliesin. You also can't exclude unknown's either.

A third (post Catherine) daughter is news to me. I imagine the daughter referred to is Svetlana, killed (1940's)when her jeep overturned on a bridge going into Spring Green, along with her infant son.
Last edited by JimM on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Palli Davis Holubar

Post by Palli Davis Holubar »

Does anyone else wonder about the information written for this building? (confused story about Stevanna's accident, the date 1920??, Arizona site? )

It looks like the Marginel Barney Project, 1948; Marginel, Wright's youngest sister. The site was Taliesin (possibly near sister Jane Porter's Tanyderi?) Pfieffer says in MONO 7 that only a sketch and plan on one sheet were developed because she enjoyed the company of the Fellowship residence.

It looks great but let's get the story straight. or am I ignorant about something?

JimM

Post by JimM »

Palli Davis Holubar wrote:It looks like the Marginel Barney Project, 1948; Marginel, Wright's youngest sister. The site was Taliesin (possibly near sister Jane Porter's Tanyderi?) Pfieffer says in MONO 7 that only a sketch and plan on one sheet were developed because she enjoyed the company of the Fellowship residence.

It looks great but let's get the story straight. or am I ignorant about something?
I just looked, and it does indeed look similar, Palli. However, enough is dissimilar to make me wonder if it's a TAA based on it. That would not surprise me.

Palli Davis Holubar

Jim, yes, Wes and Howe would have had to do a lot more thinking. Doesn't she intimate that the additional buildings came later as well. You'd think we could get a better idea from TAA. What was the start up date of TAA and then the Legacy program? Before 1960? The Feldman House was before the formal Legacy program, wasn't it? If this is historic preservation group, I hope they will seek county records, at least, too.

Maybe Tnguy can access something on the web.

I sure wish I could get to the Archives.

Palli Davis Holubar

Looking again at the MONO page... Would you call that Wright plan 3 rooms, Jim?

Eric Saed
Location: Minne-sO-tah Norwegian living in exile in Lubbock, Texas

Post by Eric Saed »

Yes, folks, that is indeed a Howe project. It is the Royston cottage, probably the first or second job where Mr. Howe could take credit after FLLW died.

peterm

Post by peterm »

From what we can see in the photos, I find it to be beautifully sited and proportioned. It reminds me of a stone cousin of the McCartney house...

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Actually, peterm, the Anthony House in Benton Harbor is a stone version of McCartney.

sjnorris

Post by sjnorris »

Eric you are correct its the Frederic Royston Cottage 1961

SDR

Post by SDR »

I have yet to learn where this object is located. Searching the blogger's pages, I find only a reference to "southeast Pennsylvania" for her own location.

Not that it matters, I suppose. . .

SDR

peterm

Post by peterm »

Roderick Grant wrote:Actually, peterm, the Anthony House in Benton Harbor is a stone version of McCartney.
The Anthony House:

http://www.peterbeers.net/interests/flw ... _house.htm

sjnorris

Post by sjnorris »

Royston Cottage is located in Whitford PA.

The home addition was in 1969 the gallery addition 1972

SDR

Post by SDR »

Plan of the Howard Anthony residence, © W A Storrer:

Apprentice Curtis Besinger presents this photo and text, in the chapter of his book titled "Summer 1949" :

"On one of his weekend visits to Taliesin, Jack suggested that I start a preliminary design for a house in Michigan for Howard Anthony and his wife. They were anxious to get construction started on their house. Mr. Wright had not yet done a design for it. The suggestion intrigued me. Mr. Wright had designed three one-room cottages for his sister, Maginel Wright Barney, the previous summer. Each was based on a different geometry. The triangular one interested me the most. So I decided to try to work out a design for the Anthonys based on this thirty-sixty design. I proposed to put the laboratory and the guest room and extra bath which the Anthonys desired in a wing that would be attached to the hypotenuse of the triangular plan. A carport could be attached at the shorter side of the triangle (Fig. 84).

"The Anthonys' site was a difficult one. There was an open, rectangular area near its center. Its major dimension was east-west. The ground sloped away from this central area on three sides, on the south to the street, on the east and north into a heavily wooded area. Through the wooded slope on the north there were views toward the river. The site presented problems that were difficult to resolve. Opening the house to the north and views into the woods made for large areas of glass on that side. Opening it to the south for winter sun made for openness to the entrance drive and the street and loss of privacy. Since the Anthonys had selected the site for its bird-watching potential, I felt that any extensions of the living space, such as terraces to the exterior, should face into the woods. So I placed the right angle of the triangle pointing into the woods. The laboratory and guest-room wing were extended from the hypotenuse on the south side. The cooking area was placed at the southeast corner of the triangle where it would receive morning light and have a view of the entrance drive. A flat roof covered the cooking area and extended toward the east over the carport.

"Jack looked at my plan and suggested a few changes, which I made. When we showed the drawings of this plan to Mr. Wright he changed the flat roof over the cooking area and carport into a pitched roof and made the hipped roof which I had drawn with equal slopes into one with unequal slopes.

"After the Anthonys had approved the design for their house (they first asked for a few changes) I started on the working drawings by myself. They were nearly complete when one afternoon Gene told me that the Anthonys were corning the next day to pick up prints of the drawings. Apparently they had been promised completed ones by that date. Davy Davison, who was working in the drafting room at the time, volunteered to help me finish the drawings that night. They were complete the next morning, after Davy and I worked on them all night. Mr. Wright signed them without further changes."