Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Wild Bird
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this has been done to a Wright house, we would all agree that it was a tragedy of epic proportions. No amount of rationalization can convince me that this situation is any different.

The original house showed great respect for nature. The connection between interior and exterior was clear. How can this remodel possibly be defended when we're posting on a site where the mission statement is all about preservation?

What if Fallingwater had been gutted and remade as "sophisticated" as this? Who among us would say, "It could have been worse"?

The Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy, an international preservation organization, is based in Chicago, Illinois. Founded in 1989, its mission is to facilitate the preservation and maintenance of the remaining structures designed by Frank Lloyd Wright through education, advocacy, preservation easements and technical services.
egads

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that the vessel sinks did make me throw up a little. The whole thing does make me wonder when the very rich started needing so much to feel special. It was, after all, originally built for people of fairly large wealth. At yet, now it was not enough.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know me -- ever the devil's advocate !

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of only one FLW house that has been so badly damaged (at least after the fact, Ennis' corruption notwithstanding): Benjamin Adelman. There's enough left of it to know what was originally there, but so much altered so insensitively and irreversibly that it ought to be deleted from the canon.
Education Professor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed hard to say whether it would be best to hope for a faithful restoration/re-creation of the original structure using the existing "bones" or to essentially start over from scratch. There are certainly pros and cons to both approaches. Hopefully the breathtaking site will one see the harmonious return of Wild Bird to its original perch.

EP
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a brief fantasy, during a recent discussion of the ruined Ludekens house of J. Hillmer, that a recreation could be built upon a vacant site adjacent to the original -- in the manner of the ritual rebuilding of the Ise Shrine, in Japan . . .

DavidC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick Grant wrote:
I can think of only one FLW house that has been so badly damaged (at least after the fact, Ennis' corruption notwithstanding): Benjamin Adelman. There's enough left of it to know what was originally there, but so much altered so insensitively and irreversibly that it ought to be deleted from the canon.

One that has virtually nothing of the original structure left - well beyond Benjamin Adelman - is the Arthur Pieper House.

David
pharding

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately too many Prairie Houses have had beautiful, original, historic architectural fabric obliterated by well meaning homeowners and pseudo experts. The original Frank Lloyd Wright finishes were incredibly beautiful and not like contemporary finishes. Many people just assume that by looking at extant historic architectural finishes that if they just visually match what they think they are seeing that a historically accurate finish system will result. I truly wish it were that easy. Unfortunately it is not. As a result one sees important original architectural fabric removed or obliterated, lost forever. One sees woodwork that is stained the wrong color or poorly executed or with stain applied so badly that all transparency in the finish system is lost and wood trim appears painted. As a FLW homeowner I understand the expense of restoration and I admire all FLW homeowners and their efforts. It isn't about how much one spends on a FLW house. What matters is ensuring that restoration funds are wisely spent. Professional restoration guidance is not very expensive in the overall scheme of things. An authentic restoration of a FLW house is infinitely better than alternative, well-meaning self-help approaches.
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody ever seen dimensioned drawings of Wildbird?
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... recently became interested in the triangle of AFrames: base to height relationship etc..
... bedroom dormitory at Oak Park Studio - is that an equilateral triangle?
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

,,, no it's not.

Will need to check my Mono's for dimensions
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schindler's 1934 A-frame for Gisela Bennati is an equilateral triangle, as are many others on this page:

https://www.google.com/search?q=schindler+bennati+A-frame&client=opera&hs=sh2&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=6Xm10q27v8pP2M%253A%252CUB3h5uU6Wm0PrM%252C_&usg=AFrqEzc0g_Oz05vMsopW4OJF5WAtI55gPA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjh36nyhIndAhX3JDQIHfkrDdAQ9QEwB3oECAYQBg#imgrc=4PpmMgOcgGYEMM:

Wright's regular non-orthogonal geometric forms are used in plan, not in elevation, where roof pitches rule the roost . . .

SDR
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks ... helpful
thinking out loud here
peterm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

History of A-frames post-Schindler Bennati House (1934), the first vacation house of this type:

https://www.oldhouseonline.com/.amp/articles/the-mania-for-a-frames
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brief and informative article.
I Googled the AFrame by Izenour: "KiddyKamp"
It's AWFULL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: