Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

FLW Monographs for sale
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started and ended with 5 and 6, the houses I most admired up to that time. Volumes were selling out almost as soon as they arrived at Bill Stout's, I was told. My second purchase was on hold for another customer, who delayed too long in appearing with the cash, I guess. Naturally, I wish now that I had persevered in acquiring more of the set.

May I ask what is the most, and the least, that you have paid for your books ?

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Monographs were a revelation when I first saw them as they arrived at Carnegie Mellon's library in '85 or '86.

I have volumes 6,7,8 all in paperback. As SDR did, I bought the volumes with the projects with which I was most interested. The Philadelphia AIA bookshop was selling them for $60-$80..I got one for less than that because the edge of the pages was scraped from a damaged shipping box, but as there was no visible damage to the images within, I gladly took the bargain. I bought one a year if I remember correctly, until they were no longer available. I intend to buy more, but as the volumes I have are paperback, I'll probably continue in that vein....I suspect my acquisition of the 3 volume Taschen set has slowed my progression in this endeavor. I suppose I'll eventually pick them up piecemeal on Amazon as they come up, but I'd like to pay no more than $100-$150 for each. Some come up in this range. Volumes 1 and 5 would be my first choices for next purchases.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Well, I'm not proud -- I'd switch from hardback to soft to save some dough. Besides, I like to put them on my scanner, and the softbacks would be easier, there . . .

Ouch !

S
SREcklund

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:
May I ask what is the most, and the least, that you have paid for your books ?

I purchased a full set of hardbacks from a bookseller in Japan (through eBay) for $2400 three years ago. Had sat on a shelf forever, so the boxes were sunburnt, but the books had never been out of the box.

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"In His Renderings," Volume 12, was the first one issued, and is the same size as 8. But I rarely refer to it, since there is nothing in it that does not appear in other publications.

Volumes 9 through 11 are especially interesting, in that there is so much information, as Choate points out, about the germ of the idea.
SREcklund

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many projects, and so many places to look - I just wish there was one master index that listed the projects and where they're documented. *sigh* ...

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan, I felt the same way about negotiating "An Autobiography" until I happened upon an index published in 1976. It's a lifesaver. Oh, that the Monos had such a thing!
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes -- there's only the table of contents to each volume, slipped in at the front of the book and giving page numbers -- which are easily confused with plate numbers appearing more prominently on the pages . . . and no alphabetical index at all. An unhelpful choice of format . . .

SDR
JChoate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S, I don't have precise recall but I think I've gone for the bait when I found a volume under $250. I may have gone $300 for #12 with the renderings because I thought it was probably a rarity to find one on the market.
Like I mentioned earlier, I figured I'd never get #2 because every time I'd seen it for sale individually it was usually priced around $700. So, I'll settle for that slightly tattered former library book. I think I got that for about $200.
Unlike Dan, I'm not very interested in #1 (least interested in the really old stuff), so I may never get that one. Next in my on-deck-circle are 7 & 8. If I run across #11 I'll think about it, but I'm not too interested in sci-fi studies of Bagdhad so the price would have to be particularly fetching.
After the discussion on Wright Chat last night, I looked online and found #7 for under $100 so I pulled the trigger. At that price, when the mailman delivers it (if it comes at all) I halfway expect it to be in shreads. ("if it seems too good to be true it probably is ....."). But what the heck?

Here's the Dewey decimal sticker on my library book of Volume 2:

And here's the little pouch thingy with the check out card still in it. Looks like nobody checked it out much after 2009i:
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez -- and in the dust jacket, too. Will wonders never cease. These were the most cumbersome volumes I've owned -- until Taschen came along. My Mono jackets (and boxes) are mint, as they've been on a closet shelf for thirty years. I will say that the binding cloth has held up very well, too . . .

I think Taschen did a smart thing with their decorated hard and smooth binding papers. Very heavy books naturally can be expected to show more wear, over time. Taschen's pages are of heavier stock than the Monographs.

SDR
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Brand New, unopened boxes Reply with quote

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bks/6134765731.html
SDR

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To repeat, nowhere in the Monograph volumes themselves does the phrase "The Complete Works" appear. This phrase does, however, accompany the titles of the more recent Taschen set.

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, when advertising the set, there was mention that it consisted of the complete works. Not many works, other than Lamberson, were omitted.
peterm

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's strange, especially considering Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer later included Lamberson in his more recent "Frank Lloyd Wright Complete Works Vol. 3, 19431959". Professor Storrer also includes it. I'm glad you brought it up. I've been meaning to contact Mr. Pfeiffer and see if there's any explanation...
SDR

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe a comparison of the Monographs to the Taschen set will reveal a great many holes in the list. Steiner seems to have gotten the phrase from something he cites on his Steinrag page showing the Monographs, an outfit in Texas called Graybooks. I can find no indication of them now, online . . .

A back page ad for the Monographs, in a copy of a 1991 GA "FLW Selected Houses," reads as follows: "Thanks to the kind cooperation of the The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation we have been able to compile, for the first time in history, the complete works of Frank Lloyd Wright. Of the 12 lavisn volumes, volumes 1 through 8 are monographs which comprehensively survey Wright's known buildings and projects through photographs, drawings and text . . ." The phrase "complete works" does appear, but not as a capitalized headline as in the Graybooks material and by Mr Steiner.

Monograph 5, for example, includes 58 buildings or projects, starting with the National Life Insurance Company Building and ending with the S. C. Johnson and Son Co. Administration Building. "In the Nature of Materials" lists 40 items in the same span of the career, while Taschen II includes 63 building and site-planning designs in the same period, and nine non-architectural design projects (graphics of various kinds, mostly).

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: