Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

FLW Monographs for sale
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BhamRuss

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the wrinkle. Because the original boxes are frequently a valuable component of many collectables, my wife thinks this is a poor decision (to sell the cardboard cover sleeves) and would impact the ultimate value of the set when it's sold. (Not a primary interest but an eventuality.) I'd be grateful for any guidance or insight that anyone could provide.

(Wrightgeek: I'm in Birmingham, Michigan NW of Detroit. A couple of miles from the Affleck and Smith houses.)
hypnoraygun

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's the wrinkle. Because the original boxes are frequently a valuable component of many collectables, my wife thinks this is a poor decision (to sell the cardboard cover sleeves) and would impact the ultimate value of the set when it's sold. (Not a primary interest but an eventuality.) I'd be grateful for any guidance or insight that anyone could provide.

If that is your concern, you absolutely should listen to your wife.. Good advice all around.

Yes, if you want to sell these someday, the boxes are a nice addition to the collection, and could allow you to get a bit more for them. My opinion would be to keep them. My two cents.

Sorry Wrightgeek!
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BhamRuss-

You are married to an astute woman, which is probably why she picked you, right?

You would probably be wise to hang onto the boxes provided you have the extra room. My guess is that if the boxes and books are in good shape, the boxes could easily add 10-15% to the value of the set. No science or research behind that, just an estimate.

I am familiar with Birmingham, MI, and I recall it being a very nice area. Home to Oakland University, I believe, and the Blossoms flower shop, owned by the folks who rescued the Turkel Residence.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Last edited by Wrightgeek on Thu May 03, 2012 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rood

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BhamRuss wrote:

Don't know about anyone else, but my Monographs (and other, large-format books) are only out of their boxes when it's necessary to look inside for something. Only shelf-store the Monograph boxes backwards, to help keep the red colour from fading ... something I discovered almost too late.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Monos too much to be fussing with the boxes every time. I have a small table with a shelf below that almost perfectly accommodates my 12 volumes, 10 on end with nos. 1 and 12 lying on top. To fill out the last fraction of an inch, a thin book of Hiroshige prints with "A Sudden Squall on Great Bridge in Atake" on the cover ... my second favorite print. To store my boxes, I wrapped them in plastic and taped them shut to keep any creepy crawlies from setting up housekeeping in them, and put them on a high shelf in a dark closet to avoid the fading problem.
DRN

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone knows of a softcover Volume 5 ('24-'36) that is available, please let me know. I sometimes Google it, but the boxed hardcovers seem to be more prevalent.
BhamRuss

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there you have it! I guess I'm going to be searching for more storage space. I'm grateful for the comments and insights I received.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frank-lloyd-wright-monograph-his-renderings-1887-1959-hardcover-/330778154997
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complete set of the 12 volume monographs, in the original boxes and shrink wrapped.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bks/6091667028.html
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite; two volumes, 7 and 8, are missing from the set. Also, the Monographs were never sold as "the complete works," as the Taschen volumes correctly purport to be. Thus, "In 1985, Frank Lloyd Wright's designs and buildings were published in their entirety for the first time" is an erroneous (and misleading) statement.

That said, these may be the only mint-condition volumes remaining; they are almost certainly the only unopened Monographs currently offered for sale. The original price per volume, c. $150 or less, is long gone, of course; these books are priced at $900.

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say my collection is in near perfect condition, except for Vol. 8. That particular book is so thick, it's practically impossible to use it much without some damage to the spine.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to hear that Vol 8, 1951-59, ended up thicker than the others. The goal, from the publisher's point of view, would be to have all volumes be about the same size -- if only so that a single cardboard case could be used for all volumes. Something must have happened; perhaps more material was deemed essential, when the actual editing took place.

The Taschen publication hit it moderately accurately; the three volumes measure, in order, 528, 488, and 584 pages. Again, the last part of the career apparently grew on the editors after the initial estimate (no doubt the decision on title and rough contents was made early in the process). Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer was principal editor in both cases.

SDR
JChoate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I found this forum and met you guys (electronically) a year ago, I started acquiring some of these monographs via online booksellers (EBay, Biblio, Amazon...). Started with #6 for the early Usonians. One by one, I've got eight of them now. The oddest acquisition, via EBay, was volume #2. Normally it's priced way higher than other single volumes (presumably because it is the golden years of 1902 - 1906), but I found one for a lower price. Turns out it was a library book from a design school in Chicago that just closed. It still has the Dewey decimal sticker on the spine and the little paper pocket inside with the due date card. Fortunately, the librarian put on a clear plastic cover that protected the dust jacket.

On another note, I wonder whatever happened to that set that had been annotated with Jack Howe's hand written notes identifying who'd drawn what. I hope that found its way to a proper historian or institution.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed that any library would have these volumes in its circulating collection. Chicago can't be as lawless as some politicians would have us believe !

Congratulations on assembling your own collection, and in such short order. I've given up on expanding mine. There really isn't any other source for the drawings at readable scale, short of a museum collection. I've learned so much about Wright's detailing from these books -- more, I expect, than I would from visiting the buildings themselves !

Is it true that the Monographs were also published in soft-cover -- or did I just dream that ?

SDR
JChoate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean paperback, then yes.
I only have one that's paperback - it's volume 4 with crumbly Imperial Hotel on the front. That volume seems to be the most commonly seen for sale and for the lowest price. Perhaps that reflect the unwanted ethos of the "lost years".
I have the first and third of the "preliminary studies" volumes. I like them a lot because those drawings are so close to the original spark of each idea. You can almost feel FLW in the room with you as you inspect the sketchy hand drawings.
Also 5 & 6 are great for the work as the more modern era emerges.
I still lack 7 & 8. I have Taschen 1 & 3, but not 2, so I have a tiny gap from 1941 to 1943 that needs coverage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: