Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Parkwyn Village ~ McCartney Residence for Sale
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
archfan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm wrote:
It would be great if someone here could consider life in Kalamazoo. You know, the Les Paul and all the great Gibson guitars were manufactured there. That's another layer of history worth considering.

Plus, there's the Gal...
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalamazoo apparently voted yesterday for the rights of its citizens to be free of discrimination in housing and employment, regardless of s e x u a l
orientation. Too bad the great state of Maine couldn't muster a similar kind of courage. . . this time around.

Go, Kalamazoo !

SDR
Craig

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalamazoo is a fine small town. I toured the Wright designed Meyer house a decade or so ago when it was on the market. There are also some other interesting modern houses by local architect Norman Carver that are quite wonderful.

It sure is tempting house. While I myself may be tad architecturally promiscuous, I too am in a long term committment with my current home. But as someone once said, "I may be mortgaged but I'm not dead..."
classic form

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely located too...Chicago: 2 hour drive, 2.5 hour Amtrak. Detroit: 2 hour drive. Grand Rapids: 45 miles, 45 minutes.

Might make a nice weekend retreat for someone looking for relief from Chicago/Detroit.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classic form wrote:
Nicely located too...Chicago: 2 hour drive, 2.5 hour Amtrak. Detroit: 2 hour drive. Grand Rapids: 45 miles, 45 minutes.

Might make a nice weekend retreat for someone looking for relief from Chicago/Detroit.

These are ALL good reasons why a savvy investor could turn this into another Wright Rental that could easily generate enough income to pay the PI&T plus a nice cash flow.
Frankie-Oh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: McCartney House Reply with quote

How, in your opinion(s) does this house compare to the Pratt House in nearby Galesburg? I was a bit surprised that it was on the market for 2 or 3 years at a price in the $325,000 range. Any ideas on why it took so long to sell? It appears to be in excellent condition.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galesburg is a bit far out of town. Possibly its location had something to do with it. Pratt is also somewhat bland. It's a nice house, but Meyer and McCartney are much stronger architecturally.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Buck sends this overlay graphic. He'll explain. . .

BBuck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SDR for posting the graphic.

I've layered the three floor plans on top of a satellite image. The bolder green line indicates the original roof line. What appears inside that line is the original one bedroom plan. What is in the purple is the second addition and in blue the third.

I find this house to be very dynamic, compact and interesting. I like the pinwheel effect. Almost like a boomerang. It's got plenty of geometry going on there too. Wonder if there are any cocktail toothpicks still in the blocks that were used as shims?

Perhaps a "career" change is due. Buy it, sell all my play toys and be a caretaker of a dream! But oh the winters! Would be nice if a chat member, if close enough, could see it and report back to us inquiring minds.

Down the street is the Winn house. I found some photos of it through Zillow and what has been done to the interior is horrid. McCartney seems to be fairly unmolested.

BBuck
classic form

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about a mile away...what do you want to know?
BBuck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classic form,

First impressions on condition. PICTURES. Overall thoughts and general state of the home (details). Infrastructure. Bathrooms? There are no photos of those.

What are the winters like? If one would entertain the idea of this property, what realistically would it need? I would do the furniture as intended. I think the dining section to be lovely.

Why would you not buy it and the reasons for that.

BBuck
archfan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a rough video of a Norman Carver house, with the original homeowner. She tells how they allotted the circular lots. They collectively agreed on a value for each lot, then chose their lot in the order that they joined the group. The original six owners (presumably including the four Wright owners) drew straws for their order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bT7BFcy8VI&feature=player_embedded#

Average temperatures in Kalamazoo:
http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/achesandpains/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USMI0442?from=tenDay_bottomnav_undeclared

Snowfall records:
http://www.x98ruhf.net/kzoo_seasonal_snowfall.htm
classic form

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see what I can do...

To tell you the truth, I look forward to fall/winter/spring. Yes, it can be a hassle and driving can be a little wicked but it really makes you appreciate the days you can go out and enjoy the weather in the summer and no days are wasted. If I lived somewhere with perfect weather I think I would take it for granted and would end up doing less outside overall.

There's always skiing, ice skating, snowmobiling, ice fishing, ice racing (bikes/cars on frozen lakes) and spending the night in front of a roaring fire:)

I'll contact the listing agent and/or homeowners and see if I can get in.

Can someone tell me how many people are members of this forum? How many countries are represented, etc...in case I need to sell the agent/homeowner? I don't think I want to enter under false pretense and this information could help persuade picture taking and entry.

Kalamazoo is a nice little city, laid back, close to the beach and quite a few large inland lakes. The population swells when the college is in and empties in the summer.
DRN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps a "career" change is due. Buy it, sell all my play toys and be a caretaker of a dream!

BBuck: We changed jobs, sold a house of our own design in a terrible market, we also parted with a Land Rover Defender and a beloved Studebaker Avanti to buy the Sweeton house...as my wife put it, I traded in my toy cars for a toy house...I don't regret it a bit.
Please give it serious consideration. These houses need good stewards, and the rewards (sense of accomplishment in restoration activities, heightened awareness of your surroundings, joy of living in a house that is art to your eyes rather than just a place for your stuff), more than make up for the hassles of a move and the costs of maintenance.
Wrightgeek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classic form-

According to a quick check of the memberlist here on the forum, there are 769 registered members here on Wight Chat. Again, that is only registered members, and I would guess that for every member there might be 2-3 lurkers who frequent the site but have not gone through the registration process.

Also, the memberlist shows registered members from 16 different countries around the globe, as follows in no particular order:

Usonia/USA
New Zealand
United Kingdom
Egypt
Australia
Turkmenistan??
Ialy
Iraq
Germany
Israel
Spain
India
Canada
Japan
France
Mauritius

I hope this is what you were looking for and is helpful to you in some way.

Last edited by Wrightgeek on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: