Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

FLW Discussion Forum Chat vs. FLWBC Chat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Sigh) All we want to do is talk things Wright. JB and other critical posters must have been drinking too much Chardonnay at their exclusive events.

Jason's site has generated more conversation in the past 2 months than I have ever seen on this board in a long time. This site had become a Taliesin fan club with more real estate talk than Wright talk. While I hope there will still be postings here of interest, I appreciate a forum that is more receptive to exchanging views and opinions.

Not knowing much about Wright is just about the best reason I can think of to start a discussion forum; and I don't see anyone else stepping up to the plate. At least Jason is interested in learning more about Wright, and I applaud him for offering his forum where we can all do just that.

Thanks Jason!
Jill Mossberg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: FLW discussion Reply with quote

Does this mean we don't get to force people to live in usonian houses?
aquaman811

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: FORUM Reply with quote

Jill-

There are a lot worse things I can think of than being forced to "go Usonian". Try a McMansion w/fries, I mean a Hummer H2 on the side. "I'm not loving it"-if this doesn't get me in trouble w/Ronald McD et al!!

To respond to other discussion requests-let's pick a topic-Natural Architecture vs. Phillip Johnson & the Glass House, for example. Talk about not building for the betterment of mankind. Yes, the Glass House is a work of art-esthetically pleasing, but seriously-can you see living day to day w/all the world able to look inside. Maybe the reason Wright used hidden entrances & clerestory windows so much on the public sides of buildings was that we as human animals all have "dark" or private sides & don't want the public constantly "looking in". Yes, I'm aware of the compression & release of the hidden & low entrances-sort of like getting to know someone after a brief introduction-what you get is almost always more than is apparent at first glance.

From experience, I can say that visiting a Wright home is very comforting-not at all jarring or disconcerting . One never gets the feeling of emptiness like you almost always get in the "great" rooms of the McMansion.

Enough to get discussion started??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: FORUM Reply with quote

aquaman811 wrote:
Jill-

There are a lot worse things I can think of than being forced to "go Usonian". Try a McMansion w/fries, I mean a Hummer H2 on the side. "I'm not loving it"-if this doesn't get me in trouble w/Ronald McD et al!!

To respond to other discussion requests-let's pick a topic-Natural Architecture vs. Phillip Johnson & the Glass House, for example.

What exactly is "Natural Architecture"? By definition, human beings cannot possibly do anything un-natural as we exist within Nature and everything we do is an expression of it.

Also, I think Jill was making a joke.
aquaman811

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: FORUM Reply with quote

RE:GUEST

I realize what Jill was saying was a joke. Also, I was referring to "The Natural House" by Wright-pick it up if you can find a copy,it's a very enlightening read.

As for humans not being able to do anything un-natural, I could digress into areas not suited for this site, but let's just say that cloning & Botox injection & piercings, for example, are all examples of things that don't just happen in Nature.

Once again-hopefully we start talking about Wright.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: FORUM Reply with quote

aquaman811 wrote:
let's just say that cloning & Botox injection & piercings, for example, are all examples of things that don't just happen in Nature.

Once again-hopefully we start talking about Wright.

...but they are happening in Nature...we are doing them.
aquaman811

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: FORUM Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Once again, let's start talking about Wright! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: FORUM Reply with quote

aquaman811 wrote:
Rolling Eyes Once again, let's start talking about Wright! Wink

you can roll your eyes with an "emoticon" if you like, but you're still responding to the thread...
Jill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the "Glass House". It seems that nature is brought right in or at least the people are brought right out. I would have considered that natural architecture. but then I never really understood what was meant by organic either!
Jerry K.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Mr. Wright explaining "Organic Architecture' MP3 Reply with quote

Jill wrote:
...I never really understood what was meant by organic either!

Here is a link to Frank Lloyd Wright explaining "organic architecture" when he spoke in 1957 at San Rafael High School.

http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/lb/main/crm/oralhistories/franklloydwright2.mp3
John

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great link. Thank you for posting it. Are there other recordings of Mr. Wright available?
Jon Autry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John wrote:
Great link. Thank you for posting it. Are there other recordings of Mr. Wright available?

I highly suggest "Frank Lloyd Wright: His Living Voice".

It's compiled by Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer (who else?) and is a book of transcribed talks that Mr.Wright gave on sundays to the fellowship. Along with the book are two cassettes (from what i'm told, this is done purposely to discourage piracy) that contain a good number of the speeches transcribed in the book.

I recorded them into a DAW, cleaned them up and burned CDs to listen to (as is my Fair Usage right) and I've listened to them many times. I've always felt that as Mr. Wright said, when you want to understand something go straight to the source and many of these talks are very enlightening as to Mr.Wright's attitudes, opinions and influences.

It's excellent. Purchase a copy, you won't be disappointed.

Take care,

Jon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jill wrote:
I love the "Glass House". It seems that nature is brought right in or at least the people are brought right out. I would have considered that natural architecture. but then I never really understood what was meant by organic either!

I think there's nothing about making a "Glass House" type of dwelling that would exclude it from being Organic, so long as the approach was organic and it was set on a secluded plot of land where privacy wasn't an issue. Of course, it's inhabitants would have to desire or already lead a lifestyle that this type of home would dictate for it to be truly Organic, as well.

As for the actual "Glass House", I've only seen a handful of photos and a floorplan and know nothing about the approach or philosophy that went into it's design. So I can't speak knowledgably about whether it, itself, is Organic Architecture. As we all know, appearance has little to do with it. You have to understand it's inner Nature. There are many lookalike FLLW buildings (Fake Lloyd Wrights) that are not Organically designed.

As for understanding what "Organic" means with regards to architecture, Mr.Wright couldn't stop speaking or writing about it. I'd suggest reading his books and listening to/viewing whatever interviews or speeches you can find.

Another incredible source for understanding Organic Architecture is getting your hands on a copy of Discourses on Architecture by: E. Viollet-le-Duc.

This two volume set was also hunted down by Wright (it was out-of-print at that time too! However, Grove Press has since done a printing in the late 1950s) and given to his son upon learning he wanted to pursue architecture. According to his son, John Lloyd Wright, his father said to him: "These two books will teach you everything you need to know about architecture. The rest you can learn from me."

They are out-of-print and very hard to come by. I managed to find a steal on an excellent set, but it was pure luck. I can say that it's worth the search/price: Viollet-le-Duc (and his translator) have an excellent way of laying out what Organic Architecture is in a very succint and easy to understand way...Mr. Wright's writings however...Let's just say I wish his writing was as beautiful and immediately pleasing to human beings as his architecture. Mr. Wright's writings are definitely worth working through, but it always seems to be an uphill battle.

At any rate, there are many who credit Viollet-le-Duc with essentially being the person who formulated (or at least recognized and put into words) the concept of modern Organic Architecture; paving the way for practitioners and champions like Mr. Wright.

Hope that helps,

Jon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you a little bit about Mr. Johnson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: