Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

MY OWN PHOTOS... WALKER RESIDENCE, CARMEL-CALIFORNIA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at those bricks in the Wingspread fireplace. It looks like Johnson got culls from Jacobs, rather than the other way around.
Rood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron ... I love the Wingspread balcony fireplace, but when I was there it appeared never to have seen a fire .... and your photo suggests that the same logs I saw years ago are still waiting for something to set them ablaze. Are you able to enlighten us?
Reidy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murray Grigor's documentary The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright has a brief sequence of the HH fireplace in use. Virginia Kazor, the curator at the time, explained that among the conditions were buying an insurance policy and hiring a firefighter (or was it two?) from the city for $80 per hour.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're talking about the upstairs fireplace shown above, not the main fireplace in the living room ?

SDR
dkottum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine the logic of those tall fireplaces is that if you lit them at the top of the vertical wood stack, they would create a draw and burn harmlessly down to the bottom?

Or is this another case of "form and function are one, but when function gets in the way of form, to heck with function", a description of FLW's architecture by Brandoch Peters I seem to recall.

Nonetheless, these fireplaces are beautiful as they are designed, wouldn't want to see it any other way.

doug k
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone is working on a study of the fireplaces.

A complete list, with images -- at least some in color -- with material description, and (where possible) anecdotal evidence ? If he built 532 structures, most of them with fireplaces, and there were two to a page, it would make a 280-page book, perhaps. A sprinkling could be full-page images (Martin; Fallingwater); there could be some drawings, perhaps cuts from original sheets. Someone to do an intro . . .

SDR
RonMcCrea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a little fireplace book. Carla Lind's Frank Lloyd Wright's Fireplaces is one in a series of small-format books on aspects of Wright design that she produced for Archetype Press in the 1990s. It's not the comprehensive book that SDR suggests but it has good selection in 55 pages of color and B/W photos of fireplaces from every period.

On another question, I have no idea whether the Wingspread fireplace with the tree-length birch logs standing in it has ever been lit. I certainly hope not.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would take more than 280 pages. Most of FLW's houses have more than one fireplace, some (Taliesin & T-West excluded - how many in each?) have as many as seven. Anderton Court has 8, Hollyhock, Oboler and Ennis 3, Millard, Storer and Freeman 2, one only in Sturges and Pearce, so L A alone would take up 25 pages.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes, that's so. I certainly would want every Fallingwater fireplace; as a suite, they're marvelous . . .

SDR
wjsaia

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attempting to bring the thread entitled "MY OWN PHOTOS... WALKER RESIDENCE, CARMEL-CALIFORNIA," initiated by "guanche," up out of post-outage shadows . . . we'll see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: