Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

MY OWN PHOTOS... WALKER RESIDENCE, CARMEL-CALIFORNIA
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guanche

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: MY OWN PHOTOS... WALKER RESIDENCE, CARMEL-CALIFORNIA Reply with quote

A FEW DAYS AGO I FINISHED MY HOLIDAYS IN CALIFORNIA... WHERE I HAVE THE OPORTUNITY TO SEE DIFFERENTS ARCHITECTURAL MASTERPIECES... HERE YOU HAVE THE PHOTOS OF WALKER RESIDENCE...

IT WAS A GREAT EXPERIENCE... TO SEE A REAL USONIAN HOUSE SO CLOSE WAS AMAZING
I MUST SAY THAT I WAS EXPECTED A BIGGER HOUSE... BUT WAS NICE TOO... IN FACT IT WAS BETTER, I LOVE THE NOT SO BIG HOUSES

ENJOY... SORRY BUT IT WAS A VERY CLOUDY AND COLD DAY...

guanche

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guanche!

Ah, May Gray and June Gloom, the real California summer experience which many aren't prepared for or familiar with.
As Mark Twain quipped: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

These are vantage points which are completely new to me. I didn't realize the house had that little flat garden. Nice!

Were you able to see the interior?
Reidy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found these photos valuable because I've never seen these angles before; hope you'll have a chance go back on a sunny day.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken three of these terrific photos and tweaked (and reduced) them for ease of viewing. Thanks, guanche.

There are one or two published photos of the north side of the house -- but none like the last photo below. Gorgeous. Bravo !

Don't you love the resident gull on the chimney ? He's even visible in that last photo. This unique photo also reveals three different varieties of stonework.

SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senor guanche has sent me some additional exterior photos. I'll post them in a bit.

Yes, we had a very wintry spring in northern California this year, with rain into June -- rather unusual.
Our summers are notoriously grey in San Francisco, of course. As I write, the sky is overcast; it may
or may not "burn off" by afternoon, as it did yesterday. . .

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gull still there; sculpture on terrace beyond living room windows

Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I count four different masonry effects.

The front of the prow does not match the wall of the first floor or the chimney, let alone the wall.

It looks like the type of stone (or at least the way it was cut) changed radically from the walls to the prow.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right. Interesting, isn't it. The transition from the sea-side wall below the living room, to the northeasterly wall to the left, is artfully
managed. But the reddish hue looks almost to be applied. Does this stone exude its mineral color in response to the salt spray -- or something ? Most peculiar.

The stonework at Taliesin North varies considerably from place to place -- but no more so than in this relatively tiny opus.

Here are a couple more of guanche's photos.

Street at far left

Jeff Myers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR: Thanks for posting these photos and to Guanche thanks for taking the photos. It occurs to me on another post that the Walker Residence had a Master Bedroom addition, am I wrong? But is this what we see on this photo for example
Quote:

It is a beautiful house and some of the best if not one of the photos of this home I have seen. The stonework is wonderful as well as the gate at the entrance.
Jeff Myers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at Storrer it shows something of a different quality. The stone looks,in Storrer, to be of the same dimension. Maybe the Storrer photos are before the addition?
guanche

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff myers wrote
Quote:
It occurs to me on another post that the Walker Residence had a Master Bedroom addition, am I wrong? But is this what we see on this photo for example

i´m agree with you... what we see in my photos is really different what we can see in the original plans and elevations

in other photos the question aparently is obvious... a wing that at least in storrer is not showed is there... let you see

well... anyone knows if we had a extension no showed in the original plans in this house ???
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo immediately above is of the entry and living room. The previous photo, copied by Jeff Myers, shows what must be the bedroom addition,
because it clearly moves eastward from line of the house. On the plan drawing, it would seem to extend to the right from the lower end of the plan
-- or further down, off the carport ? It apparently includes a new chimney, which doesn't appear on the (original) plan which Storrer provides.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, Storrer does not show additions to the original plans, but his photos sometimes show additions, depending on when
they were taken.

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The addition is an enlargement of the master bedroom, extending due east along the north edge of the carport. It includes a private terrace. As you can see by the published plan, the rooms in this house were very small, and the Walkers (who still own the house) are very rich (think Walker Museum of Art in Minneapolis); it's heartening they didn't go any further than this very sympathetic extension. Also different from the plan is the door into the kitchen, which was added during original construction. The material of the roof was originally triangular sheets of enameled sheet metal produced by a manufacturer of clothes washers. He sent several test pieces painted various subtely differing hues of green for FLW to select which color he liked best. His response: "Use all of them." Unfortunately, the salty brine was unkind to the panels, which were soon replaced by the current copper roof, which ignored the triangular lines of the original layout.
Education Professor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks for the wonderful photos Guanche and SDR.......the design is in perfect harmony with the surrounding landscape/seascape

EP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: