Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Klearflax Rugs by The Linen Looms, Inc.????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Klearflax Rugs by The Linen Looms, Inc.???? Reply with quote

Does anyone know where to get these rugs? Is the company still in business?

I recently came across an old letter from Mr. Wright to Mr. Pope. Upon completion of the Pope house (I refuse to call I the Pope-Leighey House) Wright mentions the following details along with exact measurements about the rugs he wants installed:

Rugs made by Klearflax people in Duluth: The Linen Looms, Inc., Duluth, Minnesota. Wright goes on to say
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the sort of rug you mean ? I see this in several Wright Usonians -- sort of a shaggy overscale corduroy texture, like a plowed and planted field ?

SDR
RJH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, Thank you. I have never seen a photo of this type of carpet. It should be the same carpet used at Taliesin, though. I did a Goggle search and found this:

http://www.tias.com/121/PictPage/314320.html?mall=%2Fstores%2Fantmore;itemKey=314320;store=%2Fstores%2Fantmore;catId=flooring;itemNo=35-m1296

Looks dead on. Any thoughts?
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Well, the "rows" or corrugations, which barely show in the photo of the Lloyd Lewis living room, don't seem to be present in the old ad, so maybe that isn't a defining feature of the Klearflax product. The corrugated wall-to-wall carpeting is something I've seen in several Wright interiors from the late thirties; I'll see if I can post other examples.

Where specifically at Taliesin (North? West ?) is the carpet seen ?

Do you suppose the Klearflax carpet has a high content of flax fiber, either in the pile or the backing ? I wish I could read the copy in that ad.

Last edited by SDR on Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
RJH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more stuff from the net:

Quote:
Klearflax Linen Looms, Inc., hereinafter referred to as Klearflax, is the only manufacturer of linen rug material in the United States. Its principal place of business is in Duluth, Minnesota. The linen rug material is manufactured from flax straw, generally in strips or rolls approximately 100 feet in length and from 26 inches to 12 feet in width. For some years, Klearflax has set up a method or system of distribution and sale of its linen rug rolls through distributors, jobbers, and certain retail stores appointed in various cities of the United States. District sale representatives of the company are also located in cities, generally in which the principal distributors are located. The rolls of linen rug material are sold to the distributors, who cut them into required rug sizes and finish them by binding the cut edges and fringing them when necessary. The finishing of the rugs in this manner is not performed exclusively by Klearflax distributors, but since 1941 Klearflax has encouraged its distributors and certain other customers to fabricate the rug rolls into finished rolls, and thus relieve the factory of this work. However, Klearflax does some finishing of the rugs at the factory, and these rugs are sold to its customers, including distributors, jobbers, retail stores, and government agencies.

The history of Klearflax's monopoly in the manufacture of linen rugs is free from any wrongful domination, illegal combination, or wrongful destruction of the business of other competitive manufacturers. Anyone is free to manufacture linen rugs, and Klearflax has no patent rights which enter into their manufacture, nor does it control any secret processes which enable it to be the exclusive manufacturer. Neither does it appear that the amount of capital necessary to enter into the linen rug manufacturing industry is in any way prohibitive. It seems clear, therefore, that Klearflax's singular position as the sole manufacturer of linen rugs is not due to any baleful practices on its part.

It does appear that linen rugs have some unique features which render them distinctive and probably more durable for certain uses than other floor coverings. They are reversible, easily cleaned, moth-proof, and they will not burn, except superficially by reason...

SDR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Wright liked the feel of linen rugs on the bare feet. An architectural historian of my acquaintance tells me that Wright owned chamois underwear. . .
archfan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Klearflax is no longer in business, based on this quote:

Economically, we have never gotten over the demise of the steel plant, Interlake Iron, the Coolerator Company, Western Paint, the Klearflax Rug Company, Patrick Woolen Mills, etc.

Maybe it's just as well:

Klearflax Linen Looms Company produced carpets, towels, and other items made from flax. The company began operations around 1913 at a site inland from the 63rd Street Peninsula. The company used dyes that likely contained arsenic and cyanide which were used as preservatives. Witnesses claim that the dyes could be seen in the surrounding waters.
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Klearflax Reply with quote

Guides at Taliesin have been told that there were Klearflax rugs in the house, but the photograph shown does not look like the rugs that show up in archival photographs. An example would be the rug that is seen in the Taliesin Living Room on p. 50 of Frank Lloyd Wright: Selected Houses, v. 2; and also in the bedroom on p. 56 of that publication. The rugs shown have a closer nap. These photos were taken in the early Taliesin III period (probably late 1920s-early 1930s), so Wright could have used Klearflax rugs, but the style changed over time, leading to the difference in look.

An example of later, solid-colored rugs at Taliesin (as opposed to Asian rugs) can be seen on the cover of the November 1955 House Beautiful magazine issue devoted to Wright. The rugs shown also have a close nap. There is a November '55 House Beautiful at auction right now on Ebay, if someone wants to take a look at the rug (as small as the photos are, anyway). Apparently, though, that rug was purchased for Frank Lloyd Wright by Johnny Hill (while he was working at House Beautiful). Similar rugs had been used at the 60 Years of Living Architecture show, or at least that's what I was told by a former Taliesin apprentice. That person didn't mention the manufacturer.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".
wjsaia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is for the purpose of resurrecting this thread from the depths of post-outage obscurity due to lost Wright Chat search-ability . . .

WJS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: