Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Price House in Bartlesville, OK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Myers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is probably the playroom is connected to the addition.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annnd. . .where does the addition connect to the original house ?

SDR
FTA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The playroom IS the addition. There is an opening approximately right across from the bathroom between the two large bedrooms on the first floor; and it sits out where the north marker is on the floor plan (see earlier post). It is virtually seamless how the house segues to the round playroom.

As the family grew, the "family room" off the kitchen quickly became of insufficient size. The playroom is self-contained and served as a guest room or an apartment for visitors of a longer stay. It has a kitchenette (behind folding doors), two murphy beds, an extraordinary bathroom, and built-in seating encircling and facing the magnificent round fireplace (one of five total fireplaces in the house). Wesley Peters did an exceptional job on the addition. The whole things nestles into the hillside. It has a full basement, separate from the basement to the main house, accessed by a stairwell that follows the curve of the round playroom.

No space has been wasted and the ambiance of this room is wonderful.
Jeff Myers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Original Playroom of the house as specified on the plans.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incomplete sentence.

"The Original Playroom of the house as specified on the plans. . .is________." In other words, what were you trying to say ?

Thanks, FTA. I'd love to see a section of that addition. I've not seen a single Wes Peters design, I believe. . .

SDR
Palli Davis Holubar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: the built-in print display. Interesting for display, but the smaller objects are lost that low. The capacity of the cabinets doesn't seem deep enough to be useful for print storage (prints should be stored flat to relax the paper hinge mounts) but would be good for stretched canvas or boards. The ability to rotate and store works of art conveniently and safely is a wonderful element. We have to use heavy old metal flat files. In fact, the platform for our bed is a flat file.

much later additional comment, 2/13/10: Now I seen more of Wright's print cabinets and the height doesn't bother me- it's for careful study while seated. Strange for me that I didn't comprehend that right off since one of my crusades was advocating to much more seating in art museum galleries!

Last edited by Palli Davis Holubar on Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeff Myers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Cliff May home that was Harold Price SR. Residence in Bartlesville. This comes from Building Bartlesville 1945-2000
dtc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a quality of space and light, which I believe is clearly experienced (at least in pictures) in the entry/loggia of the Harold Price Jr that can not be found in Wrights other usonians? This might be a characteristic found in Wright's later mature style.
Boswell 1957 comes to mind and the Juvenile Cultural Center 1957, Karen Johnson-Keland 54, Kinney 1957. They all employ larger entry spaces, plenty of natural light. No longer do we find perfs for windows, which we all know creates wonderful light patterns and movement but at the same time reduces the amount of light into the interior spaces. When he designs perfs for Seth Peterson in 58, they evolve to a scale that is much larger.

I wonder if this was in response to his own failing eye sight? He was 89 or 90 years old at the time he designed these buildings. He must of experienced some difficulty of sight. I know my vision has changed, and I'm far from 90.
dtc
Jeff Myers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR:
Quote:

According to Storrer the Playroom of the original house, is connected to the William Wesley Peters Addition. Storrer mentioned that from the Terrace Doors of the original playroom opens up to the Addition. See the image does say Playroom to the left of the kitchen.
DRN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff: Where did you find the plan, pics and verbage about the Price Sr. house? Great to see them...I'm glad they exist as a record of the house. I believe the loss of the Cliff May and Bruce Goff houses on the ranch ended an architectural dialog between May, Wright, and Goff that was experienced on the site.
Jeff Myers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRN: The book is called, Images of America Building Bartlesville 1945-2000 by Scott W. Perkins
It is a fascinating book.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, reread Storrer; the new playroom is not near the old one, but half way up the bedroom hall. SDR, the photo titled entry coat closet with the Massalink design is actually the folding door to the dining room. A sliver of the coat closet door can be seen at the far right. The May house looks spectacular. I don't recall ever seeing anything about that house in any May book I've ever encountered.
Jeff Myers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick Grant: Okay now it all makes sense what Storrer said.
peterm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick Grant wrote:
The May house looks spectacular. I don't recall ever seeing anything about that house in any May book I've ever encountered.

I was immediately reminded of another masterwork from 20 years earlier, the Gregory farm house by William Wurster from 1926-1927:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/sf/7-1-wurster1.jpg

http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Gregory_Farmhouse.html
FTA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First to Jeff ... you are correct that the room off the kitchen is noted in the posted floor plan as "Play Room" which I recall Carolyn referring to it as the "Family Room." The Peters addition was dubbed "The Carousel."

The Cliff May house was magnificent in its own right. "Grandma Price" welcomed another apprentice and I to see it on one of our trips through in the summer of either 1976 or 1977. We toured Hillside and the "fully functioning" Price Tower at the same time. The road to Goff's Shin'en Kan was under reconstruction, so access was not possible that particular day.

As a side note, Grandma Price was one of a kind. When we met her at her Cliff May house, she was wearing coveralls and muddy boots, having come off the caterpillar that she was driving to rebuild the road to the Goff house! I'll never forget the formal evening at Taliesin West when she lit up a cigarette while sitting in one of the origami chairs next to Mrs Wright. Mrs Wright never batted an eyelash and seemed not to notice the moment of stunned silence by the Fellowship. NO ONE was allowed to smoke around Mrs Wright ... except, apparently, her good friend Mrs Price!

Sadly, of the Star View Farm, all but the 30 or so acres upon which Hillside sits has been sold off and is under development. The estate in tact was magnificent. It was a tragedy for the May house to be demolished and the site now surrounded by hideous (my opinion) McMansions. Of course, Shin'en Kan is no more and I never did get to see it. It is a tribute to Carolyn Price for her extravagant care of Hillside for about 50 years, and to the new owners for their equal care and attention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: